Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Chicago Blackhawks - March 8, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
People better brace for Nash not to score too much in the playoffs. He just isn't. I don't think his game is suited to be a big scorer once the post season rolls around. I am ok with that. The attention he is going to get is going to make the other lines have an easier time.

Did he score last night? Nope. Did he have a good game? Yep. That's what his playoffs are going to look like, I am with Ola on this one.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ritche- But could Nash have been the difference against LA really? Was the problem that he didn't wake up on the right side? Wasn't willing to pay the price or whatever? From my POV the line of Kreider-Step-Nash didn't manage to play well as a unit to open things up on the ice, to force LA to scramble, and Nash didn't have anything going his way. Under those circumstances I just don't see Nash scoring goals on a regular basis against maybe the top defensive team in the league, LA will shut down any unit that really isn't able to open things up as a 5 man unit having elite PMDs etc. And with shut down I mean shut down all offense besides the offense you can't shut down, a few goals are always scores here and there. But it's a helluva lot harder to just go to the net against LAK the way they were playing in the finals compared to how hard it is to score those goals against a Dallas or Toronto during the regular season...

I mean, I don't think Nash could have been the difference against LA. We as a team didn't do enough to enable a scorer to be the difference make from my POV, Nash should and could have been better -- but not to the extent where he steps on the ice and wins it against LA, unless of course he has extreme luck and just happens to have all the pucks to his way in those close games but that's not how it works.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
When was this? Must've missed it, was it serious looking?

In the last 5 seconds or so of the 2nd periods Zooks and Marty were on the ice together. I'm not sure why. May have been a line shift snafu. With around 2 seconds left Zooks is in the far corner and throws the puck at the net. Then there is a whistle with less than a second on the clock. You can see Marty saying stuff to Zooks. Neither guy had a smile. Zooks did not seem to like what Marty was saying. It could have been nothing or it could have been something. I wish I could see a gif to remember better. Zooks used to really look up to Marty years ago but they say never meet your heroes because you will often be let down.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
In the last 5 seconds or so of the 2nd periods Zooks and Marty were on the ice together. I'm not sure why. May have been a line shift snafu. With around 2 seconds left Zooks is in the far corner and throws the puck at the net. Then there is a whistle with less than a second on the clock. You can see Marty saying stuff to Zooks. Neither guy had a smile. Zooks did not seem to like what Marty was saying. It could have been nothing or it could have been something. I wish I could see a gif to remember better. Zooks used to really look up to Marty years ago but they say never meet your heroes because you will often be let down.

It definitely looked like Zucc asked MSL something like "did it go off you?" As in did the pass make it through to you or did the goalie get it first. But it looked kinda odd.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It definitely looked like Zucc asked MSL something like "did it go off you?" As in did the pass make it through to you or did the goalie get it first. But it looked kinda odd.

I hope that is all it was. As you said it did look odd at the time.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Assuming the Rangers hang around in the playoffs long enough, Nash will score more than he did last post season. He was absurdly unlucky during last spring's run and there is no way that he will get that unlucky again.

He doesn't have to be a big scorer for this team though. As long as he keeps doing what hes doing and pops a few more goals, he will have done his part.

I'm more worried about Stepan and to a lesser extent, MSL.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What exactly does this mean?

I mean from my point of view, what scorer can -- not -- be shut down in the POs? McD-Girardi has shut down AO several times and for long stretches, and it's real hard to take away that one timer from the left side. When Washington is as flat as they were previous years, I almost expects McD and Girardi to contain him. He is the best sniper in the game.

Who scores in the POs then, nobody??? PPs can still be as effective AND units can of course manage to get it done in a match up. And a player can of course have everything go in for him.

Take Gabby for example last year, he was on the ice all the time with Kopitar and guys like Doughty/Voynov, and several others. Playing on a top line backed up by the LA machine that worked teams into the ground. He scores. Would he have scores if he stilled played for Columbus or with Step and Kreider?? I very much doubt it. And the same applies for Kopitar, but I think it's easier for a center like Kopitar to find ways either with his playmaking ability of sniping than it is for a more one dimensional winger like Nash.

Kane is another player always scoring in the POs, he is able to find open ice and create away from the havoc. A player like him can score no matter what.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
People better brace for Nash not to score too much in the playoffs. He just isn't. I don't think his game is suited to be a big scorer once the post season rolls around. I am ok with that. The attention he is going to get is going to make the other lines have an easier time.

Did he score last night? Nope. Did he have a good game? Yep. That's what his playoffs are going to look like, I am with Ola on this one.

Count me in too. If the his line is producing (let's say his production is 0.7 ppg) while he's playing all-around game (as he's been doing since last year's play-offs) I'll be ok with it.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
What exactly does this mean?

I thought it was pretty clear but........

It means as the defenses and goalies he faces will get better and better, the kind of goals he has been scoring en masse is going to dry up. Nash is a great scorer from the perimeter he isn't the stay in the slot and muck it up scorer. He doesn't score from the real dirty areas. Does that mean he can't? No not by a long shot, he just generally doesn't.

His line will be fine though, He Brassard and Zucc control the puck for long stretches, we shall see.

I would love for him to play a dirtier game like Zucc, Kreider (in the slot etc ), I don't know if he will.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Count me in too. If the his line is producing (let's say his production is 0.7 ppg) while he's playing all-around game (as he's been doing since last year's play-offs) I'll be ok with it.

Yes exactly, amen if that happens. I think it will, that line is too good and works too hard to be shut down completely.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I thought it was pretty clear but........

It means as the defenses and goalies he faces will get better and better, the kind of goals he has been scoring en masse is going to dry up. Nash is a great scorer from the perimeter he isn't the stay in the slot and muck it up scorer. He doesn't score from the real dirty areas. Does that mean he can't? No not by a long shot, he just generally doesn't.

His line will be fine though, He Brassard and Zucc control the puck for long stretches, we shall see.

I would love for him to play a dirtier game like Zucc, Kreider (in the slot etc ), I don't know if he will.

He doesn't score from the dirty areas? I don't that's true at all. He didn't/woudn't/couldn't go in those areas last year, but he has this season.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Playoffs could go either way for Nash IMO. Ola I think you're right, he's going to need luck, and he's going to need whoever he's sharing the ice with to take advantage of the space that's given them. But I don't see Nash getting frustrated like last year. He's a different player this year, and not just by the numbers. He is faster, his power moves have actually been working, he's needed less time and space to make things happen. If he gets his chances early, and some of them find their way in...if we have a confident streaking Nash in any of the rounds, I don't see him not impacting the remaining series in a huge way.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Eh, I'd imagine guys talk to each other on the ice without smiling pretty often. The camera isn't always on those moments. I don't think it was anything unusual really. There's a lot to talk about on the ice and most of it isn't all that fun, it's in-game business.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Eh, I'd imagine guys talk to each other on the ice without smiling pretty often. The camera isn't always on those moments. I don't think it was anything unusual really. There's a lot to talk about on the ice and most of it isn't all that fun, it's in-game business.

I understand what you are saying. It could have been nothing but as a person that has watched this team a heck of a lot it did look pretty odd. It was not just because they were not smiling. Maybe somebody can make a gif of the last 5 seconds of the 2nd period so we can look again.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Assuming the Rangers hang around in the playoffs long enough, Nash will score more than he did last post season.
His track record says differently.
He was absurdly unlucky during last spring's run and there is no way that he will get that unlucky again.
Has he been unlucky his whole career in the playoffs?
He doesn't have to be a big scorer for this team though.
At $7.8, yes he does.
I'm more worried about Stepan and to a lesser extent, MSL.
Their track record says different

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So you are fine with your top forward being a pretty good 3rd line player?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
His track record says differently.

Has he been unlucky his whole career in the playoffs?

At $7.8, yes he does.

Their track record says different

His playoff track record is basically last season :laugh:

He won't shoot at 3% or what ever it was again if the Rangers have an extended run, that is insanely low but it does happen, Pretty sure Toews went through a stretch of 40+ playoff games played while scoring only 3 times.

Stepan's playoff track record isnt great either and he actually has more to go off of than Nash does.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Trueblue- In what way is Nash compareable to a 3rd lineer? Could u give any examples of a 3rd lineer who you think is as good as Nash? Lol

I gotta give it to you, you have taken impression of him this year because last year you called him a 4th lineer, nice to see that you can change your mind lol.

Rozsival, the worst D in the league, is still playing BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad