Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Carolina Hurricanes 12/20/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
[Tweet]546530158916952065[/MEDIA]

It's definitely better than the absolute mess it was earlier this year.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I think I'm along here, but regardless of the shot totals, I thought I saw WAY to many plays that the Rangers normally do not try.

I thought some of the effort tonight seemed disrespectful to the opponent in that they were doing things tonight that they would not dare try against some of the better teams.

More blind passes than I remember seeing from them is a while.

Just seemed like a game where I felt like the team expected the Canes to capitulate.

Maybe it's just me.

I didn't notice too many glaring plays along the lines of what you're saying. I did see them shooting from everywhere though, which to me was a sign of frustration. I thought they dominated the game for about 50 minutes, and would have won easily had they been a little more patient, or if Ward didn't play so well.

This was a big win. They really need to keep rolling through this soft spot in the schedule.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
[Tweet]546530158916952065[/MEDIA]

It's definitely better than the absolute mess it was earlier this year.

PK was absolutely amazing tonight though I don't know how much of it was Carolina just being absolute ****. I felt like we got more legitimate chances than them on their own PP.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
**** game. At least we pulled out both points. Hank was locked in during the S.O, thank god, to redeem himself from that stinker of a 2nd goal.

Kevin Klein is a machine, how can you not love this guy?

JT Miller with the Nash-esque goal.

Rick Nash, btw, looking dominant as all hell, constantly flanked by 2 Canes, still beasting every shift. He's such a force, it's awesome to watch.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I think I'm along here, but regardless of the shot totals, I thought I saw WAY to many plays that the Rangers normally do not try.

I thought some of the effort tonight seemed disrespectful to the opponent in that they were doing things tonight that they would not dare try against some of the better teams.

More blind passes than I remember seeing from them is a while.

Just seemed like a game where I felt like the team expected the Canes to capitulate.

Maybe it's just me.

It's not just you. They were trying some plays like the Harlem globetrotters of hockey, blind passes, trying to be too cute. That's how teams end up losing games to bad teams like the Canes or whoever the bad team is. They come in thinking they're going to walk all over them, try and make tic tac toe goals every time and before they know it they gave up an odd man rush goal the other way, which happened tonight.

I was so mad in the 1st when MSL forced a pass on a 2-1 and it got broken up. that defenseman was 100% playing the pass, marty had all the time in the world to pick his spot for a snipe and he still passes. He's got a good shot, he needs to shoot there. I think he's feeling a bit snakebitten lately, he needs a few to go in for him.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Just finished watching. Had plenty of chances to put this one away in the first but just couldn't get it done. Nice to see them pull out the W in dramatic fashion.

Stepan was the worst Ranger on the ice tonight. He was just off.

Hopefully we don't let them hang around tomorrow.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
This game was absolutely affected by the quality of the ice. Or lack thereof, I'd say. In the first five minutes I saw at least 4 players lose their edges and hit the ice without being touched. That trend continued throughout the game.

On good ice you might see 2 or 3 players throughout the game fall without someone touching them, due to catching a rut, skate problems, or just plain trying to skate too close to the ice. In this game players who don't normally eat snow were dropping like flies. The ice sucked tonight, some of the worst I can ever recall seeing.

And MSG is not known for good ice.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
So who do you guys want in net tomorrow?

I know Talbot needs to play eventually, but I almost want to ride Hank out until the Rangers finally lose.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I just saw that Skinner goal. Sorry, but that was inexcusable goaltending right there. Thank God we won. Would have been painful to lose on that goal.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It's not just you. They were trying some plays like the Harlem globetrotters of hockey, blind passes, trying to be too cute. That's how teams end up losing games to bad teams like the Canes or whoever the bad team is. They come in thinking they're going to walk all over them, try and make tic tac toe goals every time and before they know it they gave up an odd man rush goal the other way, which happened tonight.

I was so mad in the 1st when MSL forced a pass on a 2-1 and it got broken up. that defenseman was 100% playing the pass, marty had all the time in the world to pick his spot for a snipe and he still passes. He's got a good shot, he needs to shoot there. I think he's feeling a bit snakebitten lately, he needs a few to go in for him.

Many have commented on this, and I don't understand why it's such a big deal.

If we play a stinker on away ice but dig down and manage to steal 2 pts, everyone would be like well we got the pts at least. Away game.

Now:
-we run over a Carolina team completely on away ice;
-we give up very few scoring chances, almost none over 60 minutes;
-we give up 2, but one is a real stinker;
-we create a ton of chances.

Is it really such a big deal that all passes weren't perfect and some players even made a turnover of two??

I mean ppl are much more upset with the above than they would be with a 2-1 OTW with us loosing the shots 40-20...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We played in June last year, the last decade all teams that have done that have looked tired the season after.

It's starting to show for us too. McD and Zucc have looked like its April and not December all year. They don't have the jump or maybe more importantly mind precense you are used to. I thought Marc Staal looked off last night too, played a lot lately...

Other ppl need to step up. But it's hurting is that McD is only avg.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yes Boyle is doing all those things, guilty as charged or whatever.

But he is still valuble for us, he several times pushed Carolinas D and that open up a lot of things for us. They could never settle down and get comfortable.

So getting a PMD on the roster helps a lot, even if the PMD is close to 40 and pretty worn out.

I am not sold on that Boyle can play through a PO if u get what I mean...

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yikes that main board thread is a doozy.

Great comeback win, and let's see them sweep the home-and-home tomorrow!

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Brassard viciously punched Ward in the back of the head. You rags fans are insane in thinking that should be a goal. Rangers got away with murder on this play.

I can't believe it, if this happened to practically any other team they would be outraged at the call.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
We played in June last year, the last decade all teams that have done that have looked tired the season after.

It's starting to show for us too. McD and Zucc have looked like its April and not December all year. They don't have the jump or maybe more importantly mind precense you are used to. I thought Marc Staal looked off last night too, played a lot lately...

Other ppl need to step up. But it's hurting is that McD is only avg.

I agree about McDonagh. I felt Zucc was somewhat mediocre. Staal I thought was good again. Maybe not as great as he has bene in previous games on the road trip but still played a good game last night.

But the McDonagh-Girardi pair was a off. They need to be better. They need to be more steady. McDonagh had some good rushes but needs to be consistent in his overall game.

One guy that stood out as someone we absolutely need more from is MSL. He looked like a passenger last night. I know he will get hot again.

All in all the team doesnt look tired from last years playoff run to me. They look fine. Thought they skated very well last night. They severely outchanced the Canes. Canes were lucky they had Cam Ward. Bring that same game again tonight and continue to roll. Talbot will be good to go tonight.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yikes that main board thread is a doozy.

Great comeback win, and let's see them sweep the home-and-home tomorrow!

Yeah I like how that's "a goaltender interference penalty the Rangers got away with because Brassard punched Ward in the head" when that stuff happens around the crease all the time and there was no "punch" (Brassard was digging for the puck with a defenseman on him and looked like he leaned over into Ward to maintain his balance)

The best argument I see is that Ward's helmet was considered "off" when the strap broke or it got out of position on his head, and immediately when that happened there wasn't a scoring opportunity. On the other hand the Rangers had the puck and were looking to shoot it at the net, sooo...I guess it depends on how you define scoring opportunity.

Basically I think it boils down to the refs ere on the side of caution and just blow the whistle whenever something like that happens to protect the goalie and real rules be dammed. SO they need to either change the rules to reflect how it's called on the ice or just call the rules how they say in the book, I'm fine with either, but having pseudo rules is dumb

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I thought it was pretty damn dumb of Ward to push his mask off. Way too dangerous. That puck hits him in the face and his career is probably over.

And for what? To stop the play, save a goal for a last place sinking Hurricanes team?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah I like how that's "a goaltender interference penalty the Rangers got away with because Brassard punched Ward in the head" when that stuff happens around the crease all the time and there was no "punch" (Brassard was digging for the puck with a defenseman on him and looked like he leaned over into Ward to maintain his balance)

The best argument I see is that Ward's helmet was considered "off" when the strap broke or it got out of position on his head, and immediately when that happened there wasn't a scoring opportunity. On the other hand the Rangers had the puck and were looking to shoot it at the net, sooo...I guess it depends on how you define scoring opportunity.

Basically I think it boils down to the refs ere on the side of caution and just blow the whistle whenever something like that happens to protect the goalie and real rules be dammed. SO they need to either change the rules to reflect how it's called on the ice or just call the rules how they say in the book, I'm fine with either, but having pseudo rules is dumb

It was the same guy that said Kreider wanted to disintegrate Fasth's MCL. Maybe Brassard wanted to disintegrate Ward's neck MCL, ACL, and LCL!?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Braddard viciously punched Ward in the back of the head. You rags fans are insane in thinking that should be a goal. Rangers got away with murder on this play.

I can't believe it, if this happened to practically any other team they would be outraged at the call.

AV was not happy about the call and it was dangerous play by Ward. If that Boyle shoot had hit Ward instead it would resulted in serious injury.
I'm very happy about 2 pts. in a difficult home game.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Many have commented on this, and I don't understand why it's such a big deal.

If we play a stinker on away ice but dig down and manage to steal 2 pts, everyone would be like well we got the pts at least. Away game.

Now:
-we run over a Carolina team completely on away ice;
-we give up very few scoring chances, almost none over 60 minutes;
-we give up 2, but one is a real stinker;
-we create a ton of chances.

Is it really such a big deal that all passes weren't perfect and some players even made a turnover of two??

I mean ppl are much more upset with the above than they would be with a 2-1 OTW with us loosing the shots 40-20...

I'm with you Ola, the Rangers game last night wasn't nearly as bad as it's being portrayed here. Every time we play Canes away I'm amazed how many Rangers fans are there in attendance, definitely top 3 with Devils and Isles. Hunwick was the best defenseman, Klein close second. Who will be in Canes goal tonight?

kw26

May 14, 2013
NC
I was there last night .Ranger fans were a good portion of the crowd I would guess at least 50%. I heard a Canes fan say while walking into the game "It looks like MSG here tonight, sad."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad