• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
giphy.gif

Wile-E gifs are always funny but that was like a top 5 game my stupid team has played all season.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I just refuse to believe this team has any chance at a championship with AV at the helm. We've progressively gotten worse every year he's been here. Sorry if the prospect of making the playoffs and losing in the second round doesn't get me hyped up.

I've accepted that they are going nowhere. Still want them to win. Win as much as possible and make playoffs while selling off pieces at the deadline.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Even if Nash is just a pick (2nd or 3rd) OR a prospect, I'd say its still a small win. If Nash was to suffer a season ending injury right now, I wouldn't be too worried about it affecting our playoff chances, so moving him more the chance to draft a player like Buch (recent 3rd rounder) seems like a no brainer, even if the pick doesn't actually pan out.

I'm not saying quit on the season, but seriously evaluate what's currently allowing this team to win, and start making moves to fix the glaring issues

Well hopefully Gorton is working on deals for holden and Nash to get back as much in return as possible. We just have to wait and see

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
What matters is that they make the playoffs. Maybe they are playing well come playoff time. Maybe Krieder is back. Teams go thru funks and some teams win even when they aren't playing their best and some teams lose. The rangers are fortunate to have great goaltending to make up for some deficiencies when not playing well.
Yep. There’s a ton of parity now. Injuries, a hot goalie, a late-season trade or callup... these kind of things can be difference-makers and tilt the ice toward us. If there’s a good deal on the table for a Nash or Grabner, sure, consider it. But the Rangers shouldn’t and won’t sell for the sake of it.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Don't look at one game, there's too much parity in the league for that. Of course any team can beat another on any given night. But to win the Cup you need to win 4 7 game series, which means you need consistency; and we have been anything but consistent this season.
Watch teams like TBL and even when they lose you can see that on another night they would have walked away with a win. For the Rangers it more often looks like unless hank plays lights out we aren't going anywhere. So the question is, just how many series can Hanks steal, especially when the opposition gets consistently tougher and we're often up against goalies who are closer in talent to him?

Thats my point. There is too much parity in this league and lesser teams beat better teams every night but when we play poorly or lose to bad teams the knee jerk reaction is always that we suck. I prefer to look at the season in it's entirety and right now we are in a playoff spot.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Thats my point. There is too much parity in this league and lesser teams beat better teams every night but when we play poorly or lose to bad teams the knee jerk reaction is always that we suck. I prefer to look at the season in it's entirety and right now we are in a playoff spot.

Because we play "poorly" compared to other top competition too often and rely on our goaltender to bail us out. That's great as far as it goes, but we have 12 seasons of seeing that no matter how much Hank stands on his head, it hasn't been enough to drag us over the line, and the current team doesn't look as good as severe we've had recently who couldn't go all the way

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm pretty sure everyone will be jumping on the playoff bandwagon if we win round one like we did against the best coach in the history of hockey last season. Nothing beats being in playoff hockey in April. If you were to tell me take a top 5 pick or a birth to the playoffs I take the former but that's not happening so give Hank a chance to make the playoffs . It could very well be his last. with the parity in this league and being In super tough division this could be last playoffs in a while

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I didn't see the game so for all I know all of the shootout attempts went wide. But in addition to a great game (it seems) by Lundqvist, great shootout.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don’t get why so many people think it’s not a good way to win when the goalie plays great. What if a winger or defenseman put the team on his back? They’re all part of the team.
Is the worry that the goalie is more prone to slumps or injury?

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I don’t get why so many people think it’s not a good way to win when the goalie plays great. What if a winger or defenseman put the team on his back? They’re all part of the team.
Is the worry that the goalie is more prone to slumps or injury?

Actually you have a point about injury. The way he's had to make acrobatic save after save game after game taxes his body. He's also getting run over, but that's par for course. The whole league runs Hank in his crease.

I don't think it's sustainable for the goalie to play lights out game after game for a team to sneak out with OT and SO wins.

Reactions: Inferno

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Can we talk about how dirty Zibanejad’s shootout goal was?
Or how dirty the vesey goal was. Let's be honest when was the last time a ranger created a goal like that all on his own. Doesn't surprise me he gets no love for that goal he scored with the narrative being firmly planted against him

Reactions: Rangers_23

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Or how dirty the vesey goal was. Let's be honest when was the last time a ranger created a goal like that all on his own. Doesn't surprise me he gets no love for that goal he scored with the narrative being firmly planted against him

Yeah, I commented that Raanta is gonna wake up woozy tomorrow morning because Vesey slipped him a roofie.

Reactions: Rangers_23 and bl02

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
I hear all the talk about tanking the season to get a top 5 pick (as if that's really going to happen - it isn't). In any case, Carolina, Buffalo, Edmonton are picking top 5 every year and they still stink. Rangers are a big-market destination team where players make lots of off-ice money due to being in a media capital/big city, they need cap room at least as much as they need prospects/picks, which are, in any case, hit and miss.
I really think the team is kind of rebuilding on the fly, and they'll reap benefits down the line from having decent hometown discount contracts and not having Stepan/Nash/Staal contracts next year, what with Kreider back, maybe add a top-line free agent and bringing along a couple of the kids (Andersson was impressive in WJC, as was Chytil).

Going to the game tomorrow - don't know if anyone has actually been following the Knights, they don't suck and their record isn't a mirage. Rangers come out in the first like they did tonight, they can play two goalies and it'll be 4-0.

Reactions: bl02

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
You know what's so laugh out loud funny to me. EVERY and in CAPS EVERY team in the Metro who we are competing against to get a playoff spot have as much if not more warts than we do. Why is it so hard for some in here to realize that despite our warts and weaknesses that prop up now and again, we have as good a shot as any of these teams to emerge as the representative of the Eastern Conference to play for the Cup.

Fellas we are what we are....a solid team with some warts but unlike most teams we have a goalie who is playing out of his mind the past few months. Yeah he's 35 but from my recollection there have been quite a few goalies that old who have led their teams to grandeur and Cups. Does Tim Thomas ring a bell? Does Chris Osgood ring a bell? Even Dom Hasek?

What I'm trying to say is let's just enjoy this ride we are on. I don't see any reason why Hank is all of a sudden going to revert to his 2016 ways. He came into the season with a chip on his shoulder as I suspected he would and I said so publicly that I thought this year would be MUCH better than last year, as he wanted to show all his doubters and detractors that last year's piss poor season other than the Habs 1st round playoff series, was a total fluke.

We have a future HOF goalie here at top of his game. Combine that with an offense and defense that is good enough to skate and perform with any team in the leauge and that includes Tampa. So I for one expect us to have one of those long playoff runs all of us have grown accustomed too.

I have total confidence in GMJG to acquire for us the assets we need either before or at the deadline to enhance our club withought taking away from our future. We are in a good place fellas. Let's enjoy what's going on and get ready for what looks to me like a very exciting and enjoyable next 3-4 months.

Maybe I'm on an island and in the minority here but I'm very pumped up about where our boys are headed and it doesn't even include Kreids. If he comes back, that's part of the bonus plan!
....:nod:...:thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad