Confirmed with Link: New York Rangers 4th Round pick #98 OA - Tarmo Reunanen (LD)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Not sure what injury it was.

Required 22 weeks off and 2 surgeries.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
I love how every description of every prospect is nothing but glowing praise and pointing out how the player excels at every specific aspect of the game.

Reading the review, the guy sounds like a top-5 first rounder.

Just funny to me, IMO.
Don't forget that these aren't grown men, they're teenagers, and you can't just rail on them -- even if they have faults. The scouts might say all kind of things in private, but in public, they have to keep in mind that they're just kids, and they only really talk about what's good about them.

There is a lot more to consider than just giving the fans a full picture. After all, to even be considered for the NHL draft, you have to be an exceptional player, but most of these kids will not end up making it to the big game.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Gordie Clark spoke to Jim Cerny and he mentioned something about discs. It is most likely a back/neck injury. Clark said the Rangers doctors checked out Tarmo and he is healthy.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I love how every description of every prospect is nothing but glowing praise and pointing out how the player excels at every specific aspect of the game.

Reading the review, the guy sounds like a top-5 first rounder.

Just funny to me, IMO.

Alright, then let's just rip on the guy and say how horrendous of a hockey player he is.

No point in looking at the positives, right? :help:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Alright, then let's just rip on the guy and say how horrendous of a hockey player he is.

I think the criticism is valid insofar as professional scouting goes. For some reason there's a culture around the NHL where they say that every pick in the draft is the next Gretzky, Orr, or Roy. If you look at NFL scouting reports they're much more balanced. And while I enjoy these ones more, this is how it should be.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I think the criticism is valid insofar as professional scouting goes. For some reason there's a culture around the NHL where they say that every pick in the draft is the next Gretzky, Orr, or Roy. If you look at NFL scouting reports they're much more balanced. And while I enjoy these ones more, this is how it should be.

I get that, but I don't see anyone raving about Reunanen like he was projected to go Top 3 or Top 5 in this draft. People have only stated that he was a potential 1st round talent if he hadn't been injured.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Leaving a difference in culture to the side, are you trying to compare to NFL scouting of men ready to step up to be in the NFL in a few months? The comparison would be appropriate if NFL was drafting kids out of high schools.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think the 3-5 year age gap and nature of the sports make it hard to compare the two.

With that said, in hockey you're always talking about upside and potential, as oppossed to a substantially more finished product that's pretty well ready to roll (and sink or swim).

That's why scouting reports tend to seem more "positive" --- because you're talking more about the skills you hope will continue to develop over the next several years before your pick even plays a professional game.

In a lot of ways, baseball scouting is very similar --- especially with high school kids.

Generally speaking, baseball and hockey tends to look at the skills of younger players that you hope will continue to develop over the next half decade before reaching the top league, whereas football and basketball look at the skills of older players that are already mostly there, but need to be either applied or augmented with experience at the top league.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Gordie Clark spoke to Jim Cerny and he mentioned something about discs. It is most likely a back/neck injury. Clark said the Rangers doctors checked out Tarmo and he is healthy.

Yup, Reunanen had a spinal disc herniation. Was, and still is a great talent for TPS. Won the junior championship in TPS A-juniors in 14/15 and was in the same team with Mikko Rantanen.

Many of the people in Turku has said that Reunanen is their most talented defenceman right now. I wasn't surprised at all to see him go in 4th round. Hopefully he manages to get a healthy season in 16/17. He has all the offensive tools to play in Liiga already next season. TPS doesn't have that many offensive defenders in their main roster (Heikkinen, and a wild card Dudas), so I wouldn't be too surprised if Reunanen gets many Liiga-games under his belt. Physically he needs to develop in order to achieve a roster spot in Liiga. It's also possible that he plays in the second highest level in Finland (Mestis). I just hope that he gets to play against men, so that he can take the next step towards NHL. Reunanen himself said before the NHL Draft, that his goal next season is to play in a big role in the men's games.

Last edited:

SouthernRanger

Jun 24, 2016
I get that, but I don't see anyone raving about Reunanen like he was projected to go Top 3 or Top 5 in this draft. People have only stated that he was a potential 1st round talent if he hadn't been injured.

For sure. The "could have been top 5" I think comes from the fact that the year before the injury he scored at a pace comparable to Juolevi who went...5th. Obviously we have no idea what he would have done with a year in the OHL or in any other league had he not been injured, but the possibility is what we all love to latch on to right?

As a 4th round pick up though, he is top notch.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Yup, Reunanen had a spinal disc herniation. Was, and still is a great talent for TPS. Won the junior championship in TPS A-juniors in 14/15 and was in the same team with Mikko Rantanen.

Many of the people in Turku has said that Reunanen is their most talented defenceman right now. I wasn't surprised at all to see him go in 4th round. Hopefully he manages to get a healthy season in 16/17. He has all the offensive tools to play in Liiga already next season. TPS doesn't have that many offensive defenders in their main roster (Heikkinen, and a wild card Dudas), so I wouldn't be too surprised if Reunanen gets many Liiga-games under his belt. Physically he needs to develop in order to achieve a roster spot in Liiga. It's also possible that he plays in the second highest level in Finland (Mestis). I just hope that he gets to play against men, so that he can take the next step towards NHL. Reunanen himself said before the NHL Draft, that his goal next season is to play in a big role in the men's games.
As a fan of TPS and of the Rangers, I hope he does well!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think the 3-5 year age gap and nature of the sports make it hard to compare the two.

With that said, in hockey you're always talking about upside and potential, as oppossed to a substantially more finished product that's pretty well ready to roll (and sink or swim).

That's why scouting reports tend to seem more "positive" --- because you're talking more about the skills you hope will continue to develop over the next several years before your pick even plays a professional game.

In a lot of ways, baseball scouting is very similar --- especially with high school kids.

Generally speaking, baseball and hockey tends to look at the skills of younger players that you hope will continue to develop over the next half decade before reaching the top league, whereas football and basketball look at the skills of older players that are already mostly there, but need to be either applied or augmented with experience at the top league.

Well, NFL prospects seem to bust less than NHL prospects. So I think being overly optimistic on NHL is a bit misguided given that. Maybe I'm wrong on the bust rate and it's just my perception.

KreiderHouseRules*

I didn't mean to suggest or imply that at all.

I just think it's funny; it's like they use a thesaurus to find as many words to throw glowing praise on these guys.

I'm not saying they should harp on their perceived flaws.

It's just a little silly that 4th and 5th round picks are routinely described this way, when we know most of them aren't even going to play a single NHL game, let alone have a long, successful NHL career.

That's all.

Didn't mean anything so menacing by it.

KreiderHouseRules*

Agreed.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
A Finnish scout for hockeyprospect.com did an interview in November 2015.

Toni Rajamaki hockeyprospect.com scout on the Pipeline show out of Edmonton

Tarmo scouting report

9:10

Offensive D-man who is great in all three zones. Not a big guy. Smart decisions with and without the puck. Good with his stick in defending. Size won't be a big problem. All around D with great offensive upside. Needs to get stronger. Compared him to Kimmo Timmonen.

https://soundcloud.com/pipeline-show/toni-rajamaki-nov14

Tarmo Reunanen – Scouting report

Bio:
Team: TPS U20, Finland Draft status: 2016 eligible
Position: D

Season stats: 11 GP, 2 G, 4 A, 6 Pts, 14 PIMs
Shoots: L
Height/Weight: 5’11â€, 163 lbs.

Characteristics:

Skating:
Reunanen is a good skater that can bring the puck up nicely with his skating. He isn’t one of the fastest skaters out there, but he is definitely above-average. Grade: 55

Shooting:
Reunanen can shoot the puck with good accuracy and decent speed. He is also good at delivering the puck to the net through the traffic. Grade: 50

Puck skills:
Reunanen has a pair of very soft hands. He can control the puck incredibly well and very rarely does he loses it even in tight spaces. Grade: 55

Smarts:
Reunanen is a very smart player that sees the ice extremely well and can give impressive no-look passes. He is also very sound positionally and can intercept passes with his good game-reading skills. Grade: 60

Physicality:
Even though Reunanen has quite a small frame, he rarely loses battles in the own end. He still obviously needs to bulk up a lot. Grade: 40

General assessment:
When it comes to vision and hockey IQ, Reunanen is one of the top D-men in his draft class. He missed a big chunk this season due to an injury, which made his draft stock drop quite a bit and also was a set-back on his physical development. He should still be an intriguing target for teams in later rounds.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arponen-scouting-finland-tuulola-koppanen-repo-reunanen-vehvilainen/

KreiderHouseRules*

From the scouting report, can I expect a poor-man's Letang if he fulfills his full potential?

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Finnish training tournament is underway and Reunanen has really impressed. Just scored a goal and he always seems to carry the puck with high self-confidence. The goal was a great shot from the point right under the cross-bar. If he keeps that up, he should be really close to get the roster spot from TPS in Finnish Elite League.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Finnish training tournament is underway and Reunanen has really impressed. Just scored a goal and he always seems to carry the puck with high self-confidence. The goal was a great shot from the point right under the cross-bar. If he keeps that up, he should be really close to get the roster spot from TPS in Finnish Elite League.

That would be excellent! Thanks for the info.

Any chance he makes the WJC team?

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey

Thank you for the update!!!:handclap:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
After the end of the lock, the reception was just stronger TPS faced catcalls. In fact, however, the match began to turn in favor of Turku already in the first round. TPS super promising defender Tarmo Reunanen opened the taps in the middle of the paint lämärillä penalty backlog, which overtook the Guard Lock goals Antti Karjalainen. A few minutes later, Janne Niskala lost reel attack the blue line, and the end of the dominance of the exchange too tired to pedal for the break reached Elias Karvosta closed. TPS attacker to put the disc into the match Karjalainen mattresses between.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=fi&tl=en&u=http://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9077000

Goalie addition Selin put on a pedestal young defenders.
- Martin Berger and Tarmo Reunanen are performing really well. Really tough players, and they were born in 1996 and 1998. However, we have A-juniors, who won the Finnish championship the year before last, no less than 12 songs included.

http://translate.google.com/transla...otsi-häkeltynyt-nuorten-suorituksista/181723

Selin is the coach. Not the goalie. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad