Confirmed with Link: New York Rangers 4th Round pick #98 OA - Tarmo Reunanen (LD)

Jan 8, 2012
NY
By the time these guys are ready to force their way into the NHL (if ever), the team will probably look completely different than it does now.

Yeah I remember when we drafted Skjei (our last first round pick ROFL) and people were upset because we had so many left defensemen at the time. Four years later, and it looks like we'll be needing him after all.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Seems like another pick where they go for the talent with underlying issues (in this case injuries).

I've really got no issues with pick like this. I'd rather go for straight talent than a safe pick who'll be a bottom 6/bottom pair dman in all likelihood. We're in dire need of higher end talent that if even one pans out it's a major victory.

That's a really good idea all things considering.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I like taking the guys that drop, rather than the guys that rise late.

I agree 150% with this.

At least there's a background to a guy that drops for a reason like injuries. You know what he's capable of. The relative unknowns whose draft stock shoots up massively in one year are what scares me more. Is it a flash in the pan? Is it a hot streak? Is this kid playing the best hockey he'll ever play?

I'd rather the talent that drops and re-kindle it.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
So we drafted two left dmen... Our strongest positions..

Can we get a right handed dman plz! Just 1

McD

what else?

Staal's withered shadow (Which likely won't even be her in 3 years) and rookie Skjei?

Besides you don't draft for need in the 4th round. You're shooting for ANY NHL value. At this point the best RD available might be a 6th round talent so why draft down and skip all the much better talent still available?-

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I agree 150% with this.

At least there's a background to a guy that drops for a reason like injuries. You know what he's capable of. The relative unknowns whose draft stock shoots up massively in one year are what scares me more. Is it a flash in the pan? Is it a hot streak? Is this kid playing the best hockey he'll ever play?

dropped because of injuries...yes. but often, outside of that, a guy drops for a reason. rankings at 16-17 mean little if you suck at 18-19. all that means is you were advanced at a younger age but then others passed you bye

i still crack up thinking about when we picked, i think it was shane mccolgan and people raved about how a year ago he was projected to go top 5 LOL

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I agree 150% with this.

It would be fascinating to do a real thorough analysis on this. I am in the opposite camp. Within reason...like I know Gordie talked about the last 20 games of McIlrath's draft year as why they were so high on him / thought he could develop like Weber.

But these kids get drafted so young that continued progress is way more important than raw talent at 18. Obviously again, not taking into account extreme examples like top 5-10 guys.

Stagnation is death for a prospect. Sample size is important of course, but gimmie the riser over the faller, all else being equal.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
We nailed it last time we took a highly regard prospect that was plagued by injuries (Saarela). We just butchered it by trading him.

Another pick I'm highly intrigued by.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Tarmo Reunanen, D, Finland – Poised defender with elite level vision, Reumanen projects as a defender who can kick-start the rush with clean crisp no-look passes. He shows good mobility but there’s some cleaning up to do in that department. It’s his puck handling ability, strong vision and puck distribution skills that make him a top target. 2016 NHL Draft eligible

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/feature-story/youngblood-chl-import-draft-targets/

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Corey Pronman gave the Rangers a B-

Organizational assessment: The Rangers ended Sean Day's slide. He's got immense potential with significant flaws, but I don't mind him where they got him. I also liked Tim Gettinger at the slot they got him, especially if he rebounds. I didn't see much of Tarmo Reunanen, so didn't feel comfortable ranking him in my top 100, but he scored as much as fifth overall pick Olli Juolevi did last year in junior at same age in the same league. If he even comes close to that kind of a rebound in better health, he could be a great value. Given the lack of picks the Rangers had, they did fine overall.

First-round picks: N/A

Notable Day 2 picks: A former CHL exceptional-status player -- granted eligibility to play as a 15-year-old -- Sean Day is an elite skater with unbelievable four-way quickness for a big man. He is a creative puck mover who can outlet the puck well and make plays in tight spaces. On his best days, Day is a calm, efficient puck mover who can win some battles and make some stops. On his worst days, Day is shooting his team in the foot with poor puck management and positioning.

Tarmo Reunanen missed most of the season due to injury, but was impressive the year before. He's a very good puck mover that can skate well, and he doesn't panic with the puck.

Tim Gettinger displays solid vision and skill with the puck, and he has pretty good defensive awareness for a player his age. I don't hate his skating given his size, but he has a rough first step, and overall he has to develop that area of his game to have a shot at the NHL. He isn't the most physical player, which can undercut his size advantage. Ty Ronning plays the game with a ton of energy. I don't love the technical part of his stride -- he has a bit of an awkward lean -- but he gets to where he needs to go in straight lines very well and shows an overall impressive top gear. Ronning is small, but doesn't shy away from the rough stuff, all while keeping his penalty minutes low. He shows above-average puck skills and a high-end shot.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/insider/stor...rades-analysis-draft-class-every-nhl-team#NYR

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Will be fun to watch this kid once he recovers. Watching our Euro prospects is always fun.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Everything I read about this thing has been great. Why aren't we more excited about having our first potential offensive defenseman prospect in a very long time? Or am I overrating him?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Everything I read about this thing has been great. Why aren't we more excited about having our first potential offensive defenseman prospect in a very long time? Or am I overrating him?

Draft position, and nothing more. If he comes out of the gates next season again playing on par with Juolevi, you better believe we'll be talking him up the way we have others in the past (Duclair, Buchnevich, Saarela), but we need to see that indicator first.

At this point, there's a rationale for why EVERY team is excited about every pick, and also a reason why they all fell to where they did. He needs to show that the Rangers were right about him, and all the other teams who took other guys instead were wrong...

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
He missed 5 months of his draft year, that's gonna set ya back a little.

The only player we took who had a great season was the goalie :laugh:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He missed 5 months of his draft year, that's gonna set ya back a little.

The only player we took who had a great season was the goalie :laugh:

Better than playing those 5 months and doing poorly leading to the drop in draft position. Is he injury prone? If not, this is as good of a reason for us as any for him to drop.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Any possibility the Rangers can arrange for London to select Reunanen in the CHL import draft and get him over here for next season? Mattaa and Juolevi made the jump from Finland to London. Reunanen and Juolevi would be teammates next season in London. The Hunter brothers will take him.

Reunanen is signed through 16-17. He has a junior contract. The * next to his name translates to junior contract.

http://hc.tps.fi/joukkue/

The import draft is sometime this week.

Kovacs and Bernhardt were taken in the import draft last June.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I always like going back and looking where players were projected to go in the draft the previous summer

15. Sean Day (D) – Mississauga Steelheads (D)
Smooth skating two-way defender. Fluent mobility, powerful point shot, sees the ice well. Poised in puck possession, calming presence, Lacks consistency at times, compete level is questionable.

20. Tarmo Reunanen (D) – TPS U20 (Jr. A SM-Liiga) / TPS (Liiga)
Smart, offensive minded defenseman with excellent vision and puck moving abilities, calming presence on the back end, poised in position, power play QB.

https://canadianhockeyreport.wordpress.com/2015/08/25/2016-nhl-draft-rankings-early-look/

The blogger hit 19 of the 30 picks in the first round with the August 2015 projection.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yep, he's a first round talent.

If he bounces back and has a good, healthy season, it's possible this will be a total steal.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Do we have other examples of guys who were supposed to go first round the year before their draft, but fell at the draft? I'm thinking Duclair, but I'd be interested to see others (successes and failures).

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Do we have other examples of guys who were supposed to go first round the year before their draft, but fell at the draft? I'm thinking Duclair, but I'd be interested to see others (successes and failures).

Pretty sure Buchnevich was a 1st round talent that also fell because of concerns about him coming over.

KreiderHouseRules*

I love how every description of every prospect is nothing but glowing praise and pointing out how the player excels at every specific aspect of the game.

Reading the review, the guy sounds like a top-5 first rounder.

Just funny to me, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad