GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
My stance on AV has always been that his time with the team had come and gone. But I’ve never quite been in the camp that had him as a plague among plagues.
Some of his techniques were obviously effective. He won a lot of games and went to two Cups. They do seem to lose effectiveness over time. Not dissimilar from Torts.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
If Andersson and Chytil both make the team, both should be getting top 9 ice time. That means two things IMO - 1) Vesey and Fast are on the 4th line, and 2) one of them moves to wing. I think Chytil is better suited to move to wing, as Andersson seems to have an innate feel for the position.

So, I see Kreider/Zibanejad as a a pair and Hayes/Spooner as another pair, but maybe they need to be split. I don’t like the idea of Chytil and Andersson together, though. So, maybe the following:

KZB
Chytil/Hayes/Zuccarello
Spooner/Andersson/Namestnikov
Vesey/???/Fast

Frankly, Fast would fit better next to Andersson. Namestnikov almost seems to be redundant, unless you make him the 4th line center. At some point, Gorton is going to have to straighten out the forwards, which could with dealing Hayes and/or Zuccarello.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I honestly don’t mind Andersson being the 4C as long as he gets consistent PP/PK time sprinkled on top, that way he’d probably end up somewhere in the middle of the pack of TOI each game

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Guess:

KZB
Beleskey-Andersson-Zucc
Gettinger-Hayes-Fast
McLeod-Fogarty-VL

Skjei-ADA
Smith-Pionk
Staal-Claesson

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
KZB
Lettieri-Hayes-Zucc
Beleskey-Andersson-Fast
Gettinger-Fogarty-McLeod

Skjei-ADA
Staal-Pionk
Claesson-Smith

I really don't like the selection of D for this game. I want to see Skjei-ADA together, but any combination of the other four guys is... less than appealing. Regardless of where the coaching staff is at for cuts, I would of liked to have seen Shatty, Gilmour, or Hajek in here; to balance out the skillsets a bit.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'd really like for them to make almost all of the final cuts after this game. They have close to the regular lineup so I assume they will. Pack camp has started, and we should spend those last two games getting units set for the regular season. I mean maybe keep a guy like Butler around just to practice and do his leadership thing, and maybe someone like Hajek if they're truly on the fence. But everyone else can go.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I've got Namestnikov penciled in as the 4C at present assuming one of Andersson/Chytil make the roster and play centrally.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I've got Namestnikov penciled in as the 4C at present assuming one of Andersson/Chytil make the roster and play centrally.

I'd try to keep them at C...run a 1, 2, 3A, 3B situation if they both make it. Zibanejad - Hayes - Chytil - Andersson. Namestnikov and Spooner can each play wing.

I hope we get some Andersson-Fast action tonight.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
ive got it zibanejad chytil hayes andersson with andersson getting pk and pp2 duty. chytil getting pp2 time as well.

the other option is in fact moving someone to wing and putting namestnikov as 4C which is what he looks like quite frankly. horrible trade taking this guy and even worse not moving him during the summer. guy stinks.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Shattenkirk will play 2 preseason games Max. He isn’t playing back to back games later this week. Have to figure he will play in one game this week. The Rangers begin the season with 3 games in 4 nights. Back to back on the road with Buffalo and Carolina. The Carolina game is a 5 pm start. Is Shattenkirk playing in all of those games? He is coming off a serious knee injury and they have barely played him in preseason. If they carry 8 D,getting another D in there in the back to back games would be ideal.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Some of his techniques were obviously effective. He won a lot of games and went to two Cups. They do seem to lose effectiveness over time. Not dissimilar from Torts.

I think his attack on the rush offense worked really well for some guys and the idea of trying to generate more high percentage scoring plays is a good one. I think he went a little overboard on it though and the team was too geared towards scoring on the rush and couldn't generate on the cycle (and was coached not to forecheck as hard as they should IMO). They also stopped attacking the net on the rush and started floating around the perimeter.

Oh well, we've moved on. I'm sure that even if he's successful here, Quinn will also eventually wear out his welcome, unless he's a very rare coach

Reactions: lucky13

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Spooner is the one guy who I just can’t place in the lineup right now. He’s a perfect fit on the second PP unit, but I still can’t figure our where he’d fit 5v5- is he a RW? Should he be put in a sheltered offensive role to try to rack up easy points? Should he flank Mika and Kreider to be a playmaker for two guys that shoot? I really dislike this lineup and want to keep KZB together, but maybe we see something like this?
Kreider-Zibanejad-Spooner
Zucc-Chytil-Buch
Andersson-Hayes-Fast
Vesey-Namestnikov-someone?
Staal-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Deangelo
Smith-Pionk

Place Spooner wherever his trade value can be maximized. JMO.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I think Andersson and Chytil are both ready. Really, either could start at wing but there's give and take either way.

Chytil has higher scoring potential and worse positioning in his own zone. Putting him on the wing might help ease him in without too much responsibility, but you also run the risk of not letting him potentially learn what he needs to in order to become a high scoring center, which is one of the rarest and most valuable assets league wide.

Andersson is more heads up in his own zone from what I've seen, but also doesn't have the top end skating that helps a lot at C.

It's a good problem to have, but a problem none the less. Imo Zib should get heavy o-zone starts and Hayes heavy d-zone starts no matter what, so at least we have one player for each of those roles to insulate these guys no matter who plays C.

Reactions: E-Train

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
im not moving chytil out of the middle. guys like that don't grow on trees. crosby malkin neither could defend or win a faceoff when they came into the league. no one thought about moving them to wing. he's barely 19 let him learn how to be a center at this level. not trying to win a cup this season we can take the lumps.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
im not moving chytil out of the middle. guys like that don't grow on trees. crosby malkin neither could defend or win a faceoff when they came into the league. no one thought about moving them to wing. he's barely 19 let him learn how to be a center at this level. not trying to win a cup this season we can take the lumps.
Yeah, I don't disagree. Just feel that he and Lias are both ready and thinking out loud about the possible line combos to fit them both in. I'd lean toward keeping Chytil at center though also.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I really don't even care if he can't defend well right now that's easily teachable. he can skate he can dominate in the middle and he is a playmaker. I want him developing as a beast center. not moving him because he's lost in his zone at 19 come on now! and this isn't directed at you @haveandare just saying in general to those that want to move him to the wing to develop because its easier. the heck with that.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Shattenkirk will play 2 preseason games Max. He isn’t playing back to back games later this week. Have to figure he will play in one game this week. The Rangers begin the season with 3 games in 4 nights. Back to back on the road with Buffalo and Carolina. The Carolina game is a 5 pm start. Is Shattenkirk playing in all of those games? He is coming off a serious knee injury and they have barely played him in preseason. If they carry 8 D,getting another D in there in the back to back games would be ideal.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I know some Swedish players really detested AV from his Vancouver days and I had a lot of question marks on him early.

But you got to hand it to him, looking at the rosters we had under AV I think he got better results from them than what should have been expected. We won a lot of games AND especially P.O. series, with a roster that definitely had a lot of issues.

The big thing that I think that I will take with me and appreciate with the AV time was his ability to have the eyes set on the target and his ability to navigate through all the risks a NHL season plus a P.O. have to offer. That exposed him to a ton of criticism on the account of individual decsisons — that certainly often could be questioned as just that, individual decisions — but as a hole we for many seasons in a row didn’t have any early endings due to breakdowns. And that is very very rare. Was Ottawa the exception to this? Did we lose that series due to AVs refusal to play Smith instead of Girardi? Skjei instead of Staal? Maybe, maybe not.

In the end under AV I think we ended up in a pretty common situation. You have a team ‘that knows what it takes to win’, and when that team lose overall ability they recognize that to win they just must do X, Y and Z even better. It’s more obvious with a trapping team. A good trapping team could win during the trapping era. Sometimes trapping teams lost a lot of ability and they just trapped harder and played more disciplined and took less and less artistic liberties — and eventually you ended up with a few teams that couldn’t get over the redline more than a few odd times per game — in the name of trying to be the best team in whatever league they were in.

And we got to that point under AV. You recognize what it will take to win a Cup and play to that end, but due to just not having the ability you end up with a product that is even worse than it should have potential to be. You don’t give yourself a shot to win because you disqualify trying to do stuff that would make you better in light of it ‘not working’ when it matters.

Hence our ability to carry the play, keep momentum and play fundamental defense were sacrificed in the name of playing a style that was believed to be a requirement for us to win.

I think it’s very important now under Quinn that we aren’t too focused on an individual target, on a goal certain goals, and just broadly focuses on playing good hockey in all areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad