Gettinger/Fogarty/Lettieri/Meskanen-Beleskey-Fast

Skjei-Pionk
Smith-Shattenkirk
Staal-DeAngelo
Claesson

Anyone but Vesey

Lol ok but Vesey is playing

They will carry 8 D and it’s gonna come down to Belesky or McLeod as the 23th

Lettieri or Fogarty as the 12th. Just depends if Chytil or Andersson play wing or both C

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lol ok but Vesey is plying

I know. It will probably be more along the lines of this:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Spooner-Chytil-Zuccarello
Namestikov-Hayes-Andersson
Vesey-Beleskey-Fast

And after Vesey scores a goal:

Vesey-Chytil-Zuccarello
Namestikov-Hayes-Andersson
Spooner-Beleskey-Fast

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Spooner-Zibanjad-Buchnevich (Zib+Buch chemistry and Spooner fits well)
Kreider-Chytil-Zucc (Our two most experienced wingers with our top young gun)
Andersson-Hayes-Fast (Great matchup line, two centers for defensive zone draws, all versatile players)
Vesey-Names-Beleskey (The rest, Beleskey has looked good in camp, Vesey and Names have been meh)
Fogarty (He's earned a roster spot IMO, been solid enough)

Skjei-Shatty (Our best two)
Smith-ADA/McQuaid/Pionk
Staal-Pionk/ADA
Claesson

McQuaid plays for whoever is sitting, but I'd be inclined to play him with Smith if he does play. He CANNOT play with Staal. Staal has to be with ADA or Pionk, or not in the lineup (not happening, cause Claesson is meh).

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I am still thinking:

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-ADA
Smith-McQuaid
Claesson, Gilmour

Pionk, O'Gara, Bigras all sent down

It won't be popular, but it gets the guys who need minutes, minutes.

That's harsh on Pionk. Extremely harsh.

Reactions: egelband

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
It just seems odd that a rebuilding team who has two RD prospects who are both showing some level of promise and development at the RD position, at the NHL level would need to insert a McQuaid in front of either of them.

Again I understand why they made the trade, but it kind of seems like the circumstances have changed a little bit since. Both Pionk or ADA have been pretty good, which I assume is what a rebuilding team would value and try to foster over just about anything else at this juncture in their rebuild. I think until they show poorly for a stretch of games, until it become apparent they need McQuaid's presence, both should be on the NHL playing roster. If both continue to improve it would be a lot more valuable to the organization than whatever McQuaid may or may not return at the deadline.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I'd be pretty pissed if McQ played before Pionk and ADA.

They're both young and if they did want to spell them for a game or two, McQuaid is a decent option to do it with. It just cannot be a consistent thing. Unless someone is hurt, they should both be in.

Reactions: egelband and darko

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
My line-up
Kreider-Zibanejad-Andersson
Spooner- Hayes - Buchnevich
Fast - Chytil - Zucc
Vesey - Beleskey - Namestnikov

Skjei - Shattenkirk
Smith - DeAngelo
Hajek - Pionk

What I think we will see opening night

Chytil- Hayes - Zucc
Fast - Andersson - Spooner
Vesey - ????? - Namestnikov

Skjei - Shattenkirk
Staal - DeAngelo
Smith - Pionk

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Vesey will make the team and start on the 4th line but he doesn't deserve it. my guess is McLeod the 13th and lettieri on the RW. really wish beleskey made it over McLeod though but with the injury looks like it will impact him.

the 8 D are pretty set its a matter of who is in the top 6. McQuaid should not be playing over 77 or 44 just not right. both have been good and like mentioned this is a rebuilding team. play the kids.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
If this staff and FO were serious about the best players playing, no matter of contract or veteran status, Marc Staal would be 7th D. Claesson can be waived down to AHL. As fans, we've debated ADA and Pionk so much because it seems, due to status and contract, there is only 1 spot available. But, in reality they are both better options than Staal. Hell, I'd even take O'Gara over Staal. I have seen absolutely nothing that tells me MS is an option on this building team... nothing for the immediate and definitely nothing for the future. The only thing keeping him in a lineup is his contract, but maybe if they put him in the press box he'd be a little more open to working around that clause.

If they really want to play the best players, both Pionk and ADA will have spots and they should just be figuring out who, of ADA-Pionk-McQuaid, can play the off side... in which case I go with the veteran while the young guys continue to develop on their natural side.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If this staff and FO were serious about the best players playing, no matter of contract or veteran status, Marc Staal would be 7th D. Claesson can be waived down to AHL. As fans, we've debated ADA and Pionk so much because it seems, due to status and contract, there is only 1 spot available. But, in reality they are both better options than Staal. Hell, I'd even take O'Gara over Staal. I have seen absolutely nothing that tells me MS is an option on this building team... nothing for the immediate and definitely nothing for the future. The only thing keeping him in a lineup is his contract, but maybe if they put him in the press box he'd be a little more open to working around that clause.

If they really want to play the best players, both Pionk and ADA will have spots and they should just be figuring out who, of ADA-Pionk-McQuaid, can play the off side... in which case I go with the veteran while the young guys continue to develop on their natural side.

If contracts didn't matter, here is what I would like to see:

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Smith-ADA
McQuaid-Pionk

Reactions: egelband

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Kinda wish we didn’t sign Claesson and traded for McQuaid since they will both play.

But, it is a long season, and injuries do happen. Combine that with the fact that Smith, and our youngsters still have question marks and I see the reasoning.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Does anyone else think Quinn and Gorton are concerned with creating the proper environment first, prior to bringing up any of these very talented youngsters to the NHL? I get the feeling that is why McQuaid, Claesson, Beleskey (trade) were brought in. I think they may make trades as the season moves along to move players out who don't fit the system to create room for younger players but by that time, the system will be instilled.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It just seems odd that a rebuilding team who has two RD prospects who are both showing some level of promise and development at the RD position, at the NHL level would need to insert a McQuaid in front of either of them.

Again I understand why they made the trade, but it kind of seems like the circumstances have changed a little bit since. Both Pionk or ADA have been pretty good, which I assume is what a rebuilding team would value and try to foster over just about anything else at this juncture in their rebuild. I think until they show poorly for a stretch of games, until it become apparent they need McQuaid's presence, both should be on the NHL playing roster. If both continue to improve it would be a lot more valuable to the organization than whatever McQuaid may or may not return at the deadline.

I agree.

I fear that this situation will be handled like similar situations have been handed in the past in NY. ADA get to watch from the stands for a couple of months than he is thrown in cold as a LD on a 3rd pairing or whatever and doesn’t shine and subsequently he is dumped because he wasn’t good enough.

My take on ADA is that he is the type that you definitely make your own bed with. It would be really easy to ruin him. Just give him small minutes in a role where you can’t afford any mistakes and you just want a guy who makes the simple play or no minutes at all and you will never get a guy who can put it together. If you however afford him time and an opportunity to grow in — I would just be very surprised if he didn’t get to a level where he was a solid top 4 NHL D, with some upside to that even.

The pace that he moves the puck just impresses me a lot. He has the classic strengths and flaws of the player type he is, but on top of that it really stands out how fast he moves the puck around. There is often zero hesitation and his decision making and vision is also fairly OK. So many times kids like this wants to hang on to the puck a bit here and there. A second here and a second there.

With ADA someone have obviously done a really good job in this regard from a younger age. There is so often zero time consuming ‘nonsense’ with the puck. Just one example, on the point a D gets the puck and stick handles a little. Fakes a slapper and then passes it back to the forward that passed it to him. The box gets time to adjust. 4 teammates just gets to stand there waiting. Still you see it all the time. Since the PKers started to become part time goalies with great abilities to block shots you have really tried to cut all those ‘bad puck hugging habits’ away from a PP. And ADA has definitely grasped just that. It also spills over to the other areas of his game. And it’s not easy to do, because generally you have zero marginal of error and only one option really to go with. 1-2 seconds to really look a bit extra and make sure that a passing lane is there helps you avoid mistakes. But ADA can do it perfectly OK on the average play still despite wasting zero time to make all those decisions. Then of course you have a ratio of completely screw ups that still is too high, but those breakdowns tend to come early and disappear when a PMD has become warm in his cloaths....

I am not saying that he can become a franchise D or something like that. But it gives him a dimension that makes it feel like a loss if he is wasted due to vet log-jam. Especially when we are rebuilding.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
If contracts didn't matter, here is what I would like to see:

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Smith-ADA
McQuaid-Pionk

Exactly what I was thinking. Staal is 7th. Although, I might even look at Smith-Shatty because I always like the way Skjei and ADA play together.

And in the same token, when it comes to offense:
Namestnikov is a bum. It might be a small sample size of games last season and it's still preseason but the guy does absolutely nothing for me. Trade him while he has any value.

While I'm not in on the total Vesey bashing trend, due to the fact that if he's kept to 4th line or bottom-6 he can be effective, I think he's been easily outplayed by Lettieri, Fogarty, Beleskey and even McLeod. I haven't seen much of Meskanen, but I liked what I saw out of him if it's coming to top 9.

If everyone is healthy, my opening night F lineup, to go with your pairings above:

Kreider-Zib-Chytil
Zucc-Hayes-Buch
Spooner-Andersson-Fast
Beleskey-Fogarty-Lettieri

Vesey/McLeod
Namestnikov cast off for a 3rd-5th round pick or bag of pucks or something.

Any top-9 injuries, they can look at Meskanen or Howden temporarily on a call-up.

It might be crazy to have Fogarty in there, but he's played really well in his type of role all preseason, a typical 4th line C. He's also 25 so he doesn't need AHL development. Perfect player for a 12/13th forward on a rebuilding team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad