GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers are beginning a stretch of 4 games in 6 nights. Hartford should be starting their camp next week. More cuts should be coming after game tonight or after Monday at latest.

Brooks wrote the Rangers will keep eight defensemen.

Skjei
Staal
Smith
Cleasson

Shattenkirk
McQuaid
Pionk
ADA

AV always wanted 8 D on the roster. The Rangers didn’t have the cap space or they wanted to save their space for the trading deadline.

13 forwards gives them a full roster of 23.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
A good point cap. should not be an issue this season - although I wish we had cap space for W. Nylander just in case Leafs fail to sign him. ;)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
According to the newest Brooks article, Shattenkirk and McQuaid will make their debuts tonight.

Skjei-McQuaid first pairing and Shattenkirk riding with heir Staal or Smith.

Reactions: Ori

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
According to the newest Brooks article, Shattenkirk and McQuaid will make their debuts tonight.

Skjei-McQuaid first pairing and Shattenkirk riding with heir Staal or Smith.
McQuaid is exactly the type of partner that usually brings out the worst in Skjei. Interesting to see how they get on.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The Rangers are beginning a stretch of 4 games in 6 nights. Hartford should be starting their camp next week. More cuts should be coming after game tonight or after Monday at latest.

Brooks wrote the Rangers will keep eight defensemen.

Skjei
Staal
Smith
Cleasson

Shattenkirk
McQuaid
Pionk
ADA

AV always wanted 8 D on the roster. The Rangers didn’t have the cap space or they wanted to save their space for the trading deadline.

13 forwards gives them a full roster of 23.

That was my thinking. I think the roster spots come down to McLeod or Belesky to spare and then Meskannen , Lindqvist , Lettieri for the 12th

Kreider , Zib, Buch, names , Hayes , Zuc, spooner , vesey , Fast .... Andersson and Chytil will make it

Howden needs some AHL time which is fine

Reactions: Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I almost forgot Meskannen he did well from what I saw from his first game so a good depth player for sure, and maybe he will make it who knows yet - there are many games left of pre season. :)

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
If ur carrying 8 D It means that u have no clear cut top pair.

I don’t mind it with how ADA, Pionk have played but we have a bunch of middle and bottom guys. We’re rebuilding so no biggie.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If ur carrying 8 D It means that u have no clear cut top pair.

I don’t mind it with how ADA, Pionk have played but we have a bunch of middle and bottom guys. We’re rebuilding so no biggie.

Wait, what? Carrying one extra borderline player has what to do with your top pair?

I'm not saying that we do have a clear cut top pair... it's just not connected.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m just concerned about his past injuries with McQuaid, but if he can still keep up in NHL he will be a valuable asset for us for sure this season, and he used to be a good physical, solid defensive player after I look through some scout reports about him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Maybe he can communicate in English but for interviews he uses an interpreter to be completely accurate and not be mistaken. I don’t know. Just a thought. If he truly can’t communicate at all in English, I’d agree. That would be a worry.

That interview literally stated that Buch can understand everything the coaches say and Quinn can understand him

Reactions: UnSandvich

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
We should carry 8. And it’s pretty clear to me who the 8 are

Skjei
Shattenkirk
DeAngelo
Staal
Pionk
Smith
McQuaid
Claesson

Gilmour stinks

O Gara is not an nhler imo At best he’s a 7th or 8th

Hajek is the only one actually pushing but won’t hurt him at all to play a few months in the A.

pretty much. this.

heaps of 5v5 minutes for the top 4. skjei, shatty, smith and ADA looks like that 4. problem is we seriously do not have a true #1 D nor a true #1 D pair. scary. maybne the zone D will help ?

guess its something like

skjei/shatty
smith/ADA
staal/pionk/mcquaid.

let staal simmer on the 3rd pair with mcquaid and neil. that 3some, however, gives me heartburn.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Claesson should go to Hartford. I’d keep O’Gara up over Claesson if they really want to keep eight defensemen.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Claesson should go to Hartford. I’d keep O’Gara up over Claesson if they really want to keep eight defensemen.

Of the two, Claesson is the one who has played quality NHL minutes in his career.

And based off the one game I’ve seen out of both in this pre-season, I didn’t see much to recommend either.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`ve kind of quiet expectation wise this new season - if we lose badly we have some great draft prospects next summer. And if we can somehow manage to get the team hot for a playoffs run next year and it will be a bonus as well, because it will reflect how our new 2017 drafted talent perform in Chytil & Lias, and my expectation concerning Zucc - I believe he can hit 70 pts. for the first time in his NHL career with a good line chemistry, and I think it`s possible since he said he have never been so good prepared for a new season with muscle training concerning his legs. I also hope both Kreider & Zib, and Buch can manage to get above 60 pts. without major injuries, and I believe that line is good enough to achieve that as well.

I also believe that Brady Skjei can manage to have a better season as a top pair defender compare to last year and he also mention that in previous interviews, and Smith looks like a NHL defender again who can manage to play a top 4 pairing role. So it will be an exciting season for sure, but there are many pre seasons games yet, next one on monday and it should be interesting! :)

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Sunday practice and hopefully a coach interview eta soon.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think this preseason shows just how many undoing there is from the AV years.
I have appreciated the honesty and transparency from the players and coaching staff. They’ve admitted that a lot of the fundamentals were cast aside, and it mixed terribly with an aging core that never practiced.

It’ll be a long season, but we can already see some marked improvements with guys making proper reads around the net, resetting transition, and having players in position to pressure without giving up too much space. I’m expecting this to take a few months before we finally click and start seeing a positive trend. Will it be too late by then? Probably, but we’d see two-fold success with Quinn’s system taking hold and being in position for another high pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad