GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Stephenson wasn’t even the best writer last year was he? Zipay who I couldn’t stand was still there most of the time.

Stephenson you don’t hear a peep from

Calamia was firedtoo. Tasch from daily news fired. Gross for some reason is covering the Devils I think.

Makes no sense. Literally not one word from camp today. Season starts in 2 weeks

I think Newsday or whoever Gross wrote for moved him over to the Devils after Tom Gulitti left to write for NHL.com. Which sucked...he didn't exactly have the worlds greatest insight to everything but he put in the work and wrote the stories.

Someone write an email asking the Rangers wtf is up

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Hm. Perhaps I need to re-read your initial post, because now I'm confused.

I mean, yeah, you're right, Pionk won't have the same numbers next year as he did this year, but I don't know how confident I'd be in them getting better. I'd be equally as unconfident in them getting worse.

What I'm trying to say is, I don't know.

Based on what has happened with other players, the smart money would be on improvement. I guess that's my point. His numbers are in line with a group where 80% of the players had improved numbers by year 3. Granted, you might say that there's nowhere to go but up anyway. It's not guaranteed that he will, but there really shouldn't be any emphasis on it.

Let me put it another way. Occasionally, I'll listen to a 538 Politics podcast episode and they often do a segment called "Good Use of Polling/Bad Use of Polling." In it, they look at a well-publicized piece of polling and break down a number of factors, from the methodology to the conclusions. If you and I had a hockey podcast with a segment called "Good Use of Numbers/Bad Use of Numbers," I'd be the one talking about how using any rookie D's numbers, during training camp of the following season, to form an opinion on a player is a bad use of numbers.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Dicsusting lack of regard for the fans/media. Total circus clown org.

is this sarcastic? i hope so
what does the community think fans are entitled to?

personally i am so glad the NHL is not like NFL or College FB/Hoops, where every moment from camp opening is under the microscope

what's happening these weeks is small-type, trivia stuff,
the real stuff is coming in a couple weeks

Reactions: pld459666 and Ail

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Chill out guys regarding the press people. It’s the New York Rangers. It’s the garden. They hired these kids and/or alum at one point when the sediment was that’s the vibe and tone they want coverage to have. Maybe they are letting them go, suddenly and coldly, maybe they are Ahats and the folks left themselves.

But I think the rangers are looking to create a tone and vibe and culture of attitude, competitiveness, fast hard nosed hockey and I think the coverage and analysts are gonna rep that. Sucks if you like the peeps who left and you feel bad for them. Good for ranger coverage

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Regarding Pionk:

Gorton brought him with to the World Cup. That to me tells me gorton has plans for him as a regular. But if anyone knows off the top, what was the rest of that roster like?

Additionally during the first preseason game against the devs. The way they do it, they have bullet points of info they have michalleti feed to the audience, during preseason it’s where and how the club feels about player X. Michaeltti basically said the rangers are hoping he can solidify into the top 4.

So I think pionk is in. If ADA keeps it up, I think him and mcquad will be rotating at first.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017

Buch still can't speak proper English after being here for such a long time is incredible.

I'd call it lazy, it's gonna hurt him going forward. I mean you have a serious problem when you don't understand what the coaches are saying...

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Based on what has happened with other players, the smart money would be on improvement. I guess that's my point. His numbers are in line with a group where 80% of the players had improved numbers by year 3. Granted, you might say that there's nowhere to go but up anyway. It's not guaranteed that he will, but there really shouldn't be any emphasis on it.

Let me put it another way. Occasionally, I'll listen to a 538 Politics podcast episode and they often do a segment called "Good Use of Polling/Bad Use of Polling." In it, they look at a well-publicized piece of polling and break down a number of factors, from the methodology to the conclusions. If you and I had a hockey podcast with a segment called "Good Use of Numbers/Bad Use of Numbers," I'd be the one talking about how using any rookie D's numbers, during training camp of the following season, to form an opinion on a player is a bad use of numbers.
Okay? No one is doing the bolded.

What Blue Blooded did say is that in the one game that Pionk played this preseason it was more of the same as his 28 games from last season. Which isn't incorrect at all. He's using the numbers of the preseason game in conjunction with a larger sample of data to form a stronger analysis. I'm not sure I'd classify that as a 'bad use of numbers' at all.

Wait, timeout... are you saying that we shouldn't use rookie d-man numbers ever because they're bound to change? That I vehemently disagree with.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Buch still can't speak proper English after being here for such a long time is incredible.

I'd call it lazy, it's gonna hurt him going forward. I mean you have a serious problem when you don't understand what the coaches are saying...

This is such BS. He has been in the US for 2 years. As someone who learned different languages, it's not something you easily do. You don't become fluent in a different language in just 2 years when that language is from a completely different linguistic branch. English and Russian re so vastly different that you need more than 2 years to become fluent in English in this case.

Despite speaking French, Afrikaans, German and Spanish, I am not fluent in any of them. I can have a conversation in any of those languages, and can understand enough. But pronunciation, grammar etc takes more time and a lot of dedication. How many languages do you speak, @Webster ?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
He was drafted back in 2013, and started playing for the Rangers in 16. Plenty of time to learn the language.

AV said the same thing, having problems communicating with him was part of the reason he didn't trust him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He was drafted back in 2013, and started playing for the Rangers in 16. Plenty of time to learn the language.

AV said the same thing, having problems communicating with him was part of the reason he didn't trust him.

Completely ignoring the rest of my post. Learning a language from a different linguistic branches. You are clearly underestimating how complicated it is. Maybe this will explain it:

illustrated-linguistic-tree-languages-minna-sundberg-7.jpg

Reactions: Ori and NewYorkNick

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Completely ignoring the rest of my post. Learning a language from a different linguistic branches. You are clearly underestimating how complicated it is. Maybe this will explain it:

So, what you're saying is that the Rangers should teach all of their players to communicate in Hindi?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is such BS. He has been in the US for 2 years. As someone who learned different languages, it's not something you easily do. You don't become fluent in a different language in just 2 years when that language is from a completely different linguistic branch. English and Russian re so vastly different that you need more than 2 years to become fluent in English in this case.

Despite speaking French, Afrikaans, German and Spanish, I am not fluent in any of them. I can have a conversation in any of those languages, and can understand enough. But pronunciation, grammar etc takes more time and a lot of dedication. How many languages do you speak, @Webster ?

Quinn also didn't say that, so it doesn't even deserve being argued against.

I'm not sure Webster can back up any of what he claimed.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Quinn also didn't say that, so it doesn't even deserve being argued against.

I'm not sure Webster can back up any of what he claimed.

You heard the coach.

One thing I like about Quinn is that he's not afraid to call out players by name when something needs to improve. He also said Hank basically sucked in game 2.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018

A little off topic, but why does it seem like Swedes wind up speaking nearly perfect English? I see so many interviews where they speak with almost zero accent. Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad