New York Post publishes disgusting hit piece on Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Lundqvist doesn't deserve to be dragged through the mud for this. Nobody here likes Brooks.

He spends most of his time shitting on the Rangers but that doesn't get clicks after they had a bad year.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I kind of agree the Knights were not legit and ran out of luck. Had Nashville or Winnipeg made the finals I think they struggle more, but at the end of the day it is what is is and Ovi deserves it.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Let’s call this exactly what it is, a hit piece aimed at diminishing everything Alex Ovechkin and Capitals have accomplished this year. The writer makes absurd suggestions, such as the reasoning for the Capitals making it to the finals was because they, “didn't have to go through Lundqvist”. He even includes a bizarre comment calling Ovechkin fat.

Continuing, the article claims the Golden Knights (or Golden Cinderellas as he calls them) were an easy match-up, and the result would have been different, "if the league’s best two regular-season teams, Nashville and Winnipeg, hadn’t been bracketed into a second-round match-up". He goes on to say the NHL somehow matched the Predators and the Jets
together to, "give lesser teams their best chance at winning."

How does trash like this get published by a so-called legitimate news organization?

Below is the article for those interested in archived format so they won't benefit from your click. (credit to DearDiary)

Stanley Cup win doesn’t erase Alex Ovechkin’s ledger of losing

Do people still think the New York post has any credibility? I mean you take anything in that rag as quality writing? I’m not bothered because I don’t expect quality from them. It’s like thinking MSNBC is quality journalism and reporting instead of wall to wall opinion shows :dunno:

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
First, it's Larry Brooks.

Second...what was so "disgusting" about it? The title was a click bait title sure, and it's homer Brooks tossing a cookie to Lundqvist (eye roll worthy) but outside of that...what's so bad about it?

Dude still finds a way to trash Ovi's legacy even when he just hoisted the Cups a few days ago. Instead of congratulating the guy, he doubles down and still says that Ovi is a loser. Sad.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
His head is in the right place but looking in all the wrong places. I'd take a look at "**** this league" as to why they won.

That's right, folks, Nicklas Backstrom REALLY REALLY does wield that much power. He can "allegedly" make that comment after the Caps lose a game and....voila, the entire NHL, from Bettman through to all of the owners, anybody who has any influence or say at all at, has a meeting and
decides that "The Caps MUST win the Stanley Cup at all costs".

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
When will people learn to stop giving this hack his clicks? It's an embarrassment that he was inducted into the HHOF

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Dude still finds a way to trash Ovi's legacy even when he just hoisted the Cups a few days ago. Instead of congratulating the guy, he doubles down and still says that Ovi is a loser. Sad.

Fair enough. As a Penguins fan who has seen it done to Crosby on HF and elsewhere millions of times, especially in the last two years...I get it. Comes with the territory.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

ScaryButtman

May 15, 2018
Vancouver
Larry Brooks is a hack. His articles are all trash written for depressed New York Rangers fans who can say (through shrink-wrapped tears), "I remember when we were good. There's always next year."

Sorry New York. You wasted the prime years of Lundqvist and Ovi has solidified his place in the history books whether you like it or not.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Out of all of that nonsense, this may be the worst take:

So if Ilya Kovalchuk gets around $6 million per on what is expected to be a two- or three-year free agent deal, then didn’t the Devils have it exactly right at pegging his AAV at $6,666,667 on the 15-year contract for which they were prosecuted/persecuted by the NHL?

Sure, if we ignore that the contract extended until he was 42, was signed during his prime, was signed during the last CBA, and not after a 5-year absence from the NHL.

Jesus, Larry. What garbage.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If the Jets and Predators meeting in the 2nd round is a fix by the NHL, what the hell has the Capitals and Penguins in the 2nd round been the past three years?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
no he isn't at all
What did the Capitals have to prove that they didn't?

They won the Cup. They beat the Penguins. They beat Fleury. They beat George McPhee. They beat Tortarella, Callahan, Girardi, McDonagh, Stralman, Hagelin, and Brassard. That's more members of the Rangers rosters that tormented them than are currently left on this Rangers team. They came back from series deficits in each and every series. They exorcised all their demons. What's left for them to prove? That they can beat the shell of Henrik Lundqvist?

Reactions: Voight

member 157595

Many have already touched upon it, but Brooks got exactly what he was after: publicity.

If everyone ignored these pieces (yes, I am aware of the irony of me commenting in this thread) they wouldn't exist.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
What did the Capitals have to prove that they didn't?

They won the Cup. They beat the Penguins. They beat Fleury. They beat George McPhee. They beat Tortarella, Callahan, Girardi, McDonagh, Stralman, Hagelin, and Brassard. That's more members of the Rangers rosters that tormented them than are currently left on this Rangers team. They came back from series deficits in each and every series. They exorcised all their demons. What's left for them to prove? That they can beat the shell of Henrik Lundqvist?
they still have the memories of all those failed years in the playoffs. they won't go away no matter how hard you try and reason they can

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
A) He never had a ledger of losing... aside from 2010's lost to MTL, he's always played great in the playoffs. Its the team that finally came together.

B) Brooksie has said some stupid things before.... but this might top them all.

C) The Same Lundqvist who just had his worst season ever?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
they still have the memories of all those failed years in the playoffs. they won't go away no matter how hard you try and reason they can

but they take a gigantic back seat to winning, which they did.

duh

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

They literally just did unless you think every single team in the league is traumatized over the vast majority of times they didn't win the cup

Caps faced a scrapbook of every single thing that f***ed with them for 15 years and won.

Last edited:

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
I also agree with Larry Brooks the NHL fixed the matchups so a lesser franchise like Washington would be allowed to succeed. Washington & Ovechkin fans have always whined that the league is fixed, so all of them should now agree with Larry Brooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad