New York City Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Wife and I are looking at Brooklyn and Queens for when her CU faculty housing allotment runs out. There are good deals to be found in Harlem and above. But otherwise, it looks like Brooklyn or Queens for us. Even there, the pickings are slim unless you can comfortably afford $2500+ a month or have a car.

If she works at Columbia and you likely work in Manhattan, check out the Riverdale section of the Bronx. Easy access to Manhattan, reasonable rents, safe. Only downside is there's no real night-life to speak of. But you're so close to Manhattan it doesn't really matter.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
lol - Queens is awesome buddy. You get the best of all worlds, I could not be happier

Amen. The best of all worlds quite literally, the borough of Queens may be the most diverse place on Earth.

I picture the "never leaving Manhattan" crowd like the "this is fine" dog chilling in their 300 sq foot apartment. This is particularly applicable to my fellow millennials struggling to make rent but refusing to consider the outer boroughs. Of course, if you are extremely wealthy, by all means Manhattan might be the place for you. But if I had millions I'd just get a dope apartment in Queens :dunno:

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I lived in queens my whole life. Sure I'd like to live in manhattan for certain conveniences but I'm really not into paying 3x for half the space while still having a 45 minute commute.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
To each his own, but I for one have absolutely no interest in living in Queens or Manhattan. Not crazy about where I am now (Staten Island), but would rather be in LI, NJ, or Westchester.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I lived in queens my whole life. Sure I'd like to live in manhattan for certain conveniences but I'm really not into paying 3x for half the space while still having a 45 minute commute.

How long of a commute to Manhattan can you get prices like that (3x less) in Queens?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
How long of a commute to Manhattan can you get prices like that (3x less) in Queens?

From Bayside, I take the bus to Flushing, and then the 7 (usually express) into Manhattan (I go to Times Square).

That's about an hour commute right there. Obviously depends a lot on the bus though and how traffic is doing/how much the bus has to stop.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
thumb.aspx

anyone know if they sell this Jacket at the NHL Store in Manhattan and/or at any of the stores inside MSG?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Hi, couple of quick questions from someone who's visiting NYC for the first time.

1) What's the best way to get from JFK to hotel on 5th avenue near Empire State Building at 5-6pm (wednesday)? Cab, shuttle, train..? Price/time main considerations. Oh and we have some luggage of course.

2) Any chance of getting tickets to Isles-Rangers game on wed for "reasonable price"? Seats/section not important, anything goes. Stubhub only choice?

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Hi, couple of quick questions from someone who's visiting NYC for the first time.

1) What's the best way to get from JFK to hotel on 5th avenue near Empire State Building at 5-6pm (wednesday)? Cab, shuttle, train..? Price/time main considerations. Oh and we have some luggage of course.

A lot of luggage or something manageable, like a small rolling suitcase? If it's manageable, take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station (Make sure it's to Jamaica Station as there is another AirTrain to Howard Beach Station). At Jamaica Station, take a NY Penn Station bound LIRR train. That will leave you on 7th and 32nd/34th Street, right above MSG. From there you can walk the 2 Avenue blocks to the Empire State Building. Total price $13.50 ($5.00 for the AirTrain + $1.00 new MetroCard Fee + $7.50 for LIRR Jamaica to NYP off peak). You can read more at https://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html

If it's not manageable, then your best bet would be a taxi. There is a flat rate on all NYC yellow taxis from JFK to Manhattan. The flat fare of $52 plus tolls, the 50-cent MTA State Surcharge, the 30-cent Improvement Surcharge, and $4.50 rush hour surcharge (4 PM to 8 PM weekdays, excluding legal holidays). You can read more at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml#AirportTrips

2) Any chance of getting tickets to Isles-Rangers game on wed for "reasonable price"? Seats/section not important, anything goes. Stubhub only choice?
Check the "2016-17 Rangers Fan-to-Fan Ticket Resales" thread here on NYRHF board.

Enjoy your time in NYC!

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
A lot of luggage or something manageable, like a small rolling suitcase? If it's manageable, take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station (Make sure it's to Jamaica Station as there is another AirTrain to Howard Beach Station). At Jamaica Station, take a NY Penn Station bound LIRR train. That will leave you on 7th and 32nd/34th Street, right above MSG. From there you can walk the 2 Avenue blocks to the Empire State Building. Total price $13.50 ($5.00 for the AirTrain + $1.00 new MetroCard Fee + $7.50 for LIRR Jamaica to NYP off peak). You can read more at https://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html

If it's not manageable, then your best bet would be a taxi. There is a flat rate on all NYC yellow taxis from JFK to Manhattan. The flat fare of $52 plus tolls, the 50-cent MTA State Surcharge, the 30-cent Improvement Surcharge, and $4.50 rush hour surcharge (4 PM to 8 PM weekdays, excluding legal holidays). You can read more at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml#AirportTrips

Thanks for the advice! We have 2 rolling suitcases so we should be ok.

Check the "2016-17 Rangers Fan-to-Fan Ticket Resales" thread here on NYRHF board.

Enjoy your time in NYC!

Thanks, posted there.

Looking forward to our trip. Weather forecasts don't look that good, was expecting warmer temperatures but atleast it's not snowing.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Forget the taxi at that time because of traffic (uber/lyft, actually, who takes taxis any more??). But yeah the air train and LIRR is your best bet on the reverse commute

Stubhub & vivid seats are your likely options for the Islanders game. You can also post that you're looking for tickets in the tickets thread here and people will PM you offers

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Would you rather:

A studio in a nice building, perhaps even elevator/doorman
or
A true 1 bedroom in a dumpy dump building

Probably the studio, right?

Think it would depend on my living situation - do you live alone, or with a significant other? Do you have pets? All other things being equal (price, location, etc.), if I lived alone I'd probably go for the studio.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Think it would depend on my living situation - do you live alone, or with a significant other? Do you have pets? All other things being equal (price, location, etc.), if I lived alone I'd probably go for the studio.

Alone. No pets. Expect location to be the same. I'm living in a pre-war now, and I'd like to upgrade to a nicer building, I think that's important to me, for some reason. Superficial, I guess :dunno:

I'm jumping quite a few steps here, as this is all based on me getting a raise that I need to fight for (but shouldn't have to fight too hard for).

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Would you rather:

A studio in a nice building, perhaps even elevator/doorman
or
A true 1 bedroom in a dumpy dump building

Probably the studio, right?

I hate buildings with a doorman, so automatically disqualified I'm not going to blow that much money on something useless

CJ Matthews

Mar 11, 2017
Don't need someone holding the door for me, don't need someone in my business, don't need the extra rent cost, don't like having to tip them (not that I'm cheap, I tip well at restaurants & in cabs)

Don't necessarily disagree with any of these points, though after living in a building without one for 8 years, and now with one for 3, it's nice to have someone to accept packages and not have to worry about them getting stolen when they get left at my door like my old apartment.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Don't necessarily disagree with any of these points, though after living in a building without one for 8 years, and now with one for 3, it's nice to have someone to accept packages and not have to worry about them getting stolen when they get left at my door like my old apartment.

That's the only plus, but I have everything shipped to the office

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Spending time in Manhattan for the first time in around 10 years, beyond Rangers games. Taking the train from Charlotte into Penn Station. Getting sushi in the Village at a place my uncle and aunt have been going for 20 years. Going up Freedom Tower. I know that second thing is really touristy, but I never got the chance to go up the old WTC.

We will see what else I do. Spending less than 30 hours there before heading to the outer suburbs in the Hudson Valley for the rest of my vacation.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Spending time in Manhattan for the first time in around 10 years, beyond Rangers games. Taking the train from Charlotte into Penn Station. Getting sushi in the Village at a place my uncle and aunt have been going for 20 years. Going up Freedom Tower. I know that second thing is really touristy, but I never got the chance to go up the old WTC.

We will see what else I do. Spending less than 30 hours there before heading to the outer suburbs in the Hudson Valley for the rest of my vacation.

Freedom Tower is a colossal rip off at like $34+ a ticket. Look for groupons and this month they have half price tickets after 7 pm ($17)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Freedom Tower is a colossal rip off at like $34+ a ticket. Look for groupons and this month they have half price tickets after 7 pm ($17)

My uncle already bought the tickets. Then again, he's not really worried about money. Thanks for the tip! If I go with friends one day I'll keep it in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad