New York City Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Please continue the discussion here about the greatest city in the universe.

[collapse=text]Traditional tourist attractions
Empire State Building
Statue of Liberty
South Street Seaport
Rockefeller Center / Channel Garden / NBC Studios
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Grand Army Plaza and environs (FAO Schwarz, Apple Store, Plaza Hotel, Central Park South)
Central Park (Including Central Park West and Fifth Avenue)
United Nations
American Museum of Natural History
Rose Center for Earth and Space
The Guggenheim Museum
USS Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum
Ellis Island Immigration Museum
Greenwich Village
SoHo
Little Italy/Chinatown
Theatre District
Madison Avenue shopping
A Broadway show
An Off-Broadway show
Shopping at Macy’s or Bloomingdale’s
Ground Zero/9-11 Memorial Museum/Winter Garden
Times Square/Madame Tussaud’s
New York Public Library and Bryant Park
St. Patrick’s Cathedral
Trump Tower
Circle Line
St. Bartholomew’s Church

Sports and Nightlife
New York Yankees baseball (April to October)
New York Mets baseball (April to October)
New York Rangers hockey (October to April)
New York Islanders hockey (October to April)
New Jersey Devils hockey (October to April)
New York Knicks basketball (October to April)
Brooklyn Nets basketball (October to April)
New York Giants football (September to January)
New York Jets football (September to January)
New York Red Bulls soccer (March to October)
New York City FC soccer (March to October)
Taping of a television show
Tour of Madison Square Garden
Tour of Radio City Music Hall
Christie’s Auction House / Sotheby’s
Carnegie Hall
Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts / Juilliard School
New York Philharmonic / Metropolitan Opera
Brooklyn Academy of Music
Apollo Theatre

More museums
The Whitney Museum of American Art
Museum of Modern Art
Tenement Museum
The Brooklyn Museum
Museum of the Moving Image
Jewish Museum
New York City Fire Museum
New York City Police Museum
New York City Transit Museum
Pierpont Morgan Library
Forbes Galleries
New Museum of Contemporary Art
El Museo del Barrio
The Paley Center for Media (Museum of Television and Radio)
Jewish Heritage Museum
Children’s Museum of Manhattan
Museum of American Folk Art
The Frick Collection
The New York Historical Society
Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum
Grey Art Gallery
Mount Vernon Hotel Museum
The Studio Museum in Harlem
New York Hall of Science
Queens Historical Society
Queens Museum of Art
The Museum of Arts and Design
Asia Society Galleries
Audubon Terrace
Bronx Museum of the Arts
China Institute
Dia Center for the Arts
International Center of Photography
Alice Austen House Museum
Bartow-Pell Mansion
Isamu Noguchi Garden Museum
Jacques Marchais Museum of Tibetan Art
Japan Society of New York
Museum for African Art
Museum of American Illustration
Museum of the City of New York
National Academy of Design Museum
National Museum of the American Indian
Bard Graduate Center Library and Gallery
The Drawing Center
Neue Galerie / Goethe Institut
Noble Maritime Collection
Van Cortlandt House Museum
Dyckman Farmhouse Museum
Edgar Allan Poe Cottage and Museum
Hispanic Society of America
Dahesh Museum of Art
Pieter Claesen Wyckoff House Museum
John M. Mossman Lock Museum
Museum of American Finance
Museum of Biblical Art
Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art
Museum of Mathematics
Maritime Industry Museum at Fort Schuyler
Valentine-Varian Museum of Bronx History

More landmarks and outdoor activities
Grand Central Terminal
Chrysler Building
Woolworth Building
Street fair / parade / Feast of San Gennaro
The High Line
Central Park Zoo
Bethesda Terrace
Stonewall Inn / Gay Village
Chelsea
Chelsea Market
Chelsea Piers
Madison Square Park / Flatiron Building
Meatpacking District
Harlem / El Barrio
Randall’s Island / Wards Island
Time Warner Center / Columbus Circle
Washington Square Park / New York University / St. Mark’s Place
Union Square
The Dakota
Columbia University / Morningside Heights
Grant’s Tomb / Riverside Park
Trinity Church and Graveyard
The Cloisters / Fort Tryon Park
Eldridge Street Synagogue
Lower East Side
Upper East Side / Yorkville
Gracie Mansion / Finley Walk / Carl Schurz Park
Houston Street Film Row
New York City Hall / Foley Square / Park Row
Battery Park
Financial District / New York Stock Exchange / Federal Hall
Roosevelt Island / Four Freedoms Park / Tramway
Cathedral of St. John the Divine
Bronx Zoo
Loeb Boathouse
Brooklyn Bridge
Governor’s Island
Castle Clinton
Hamilton Grange National Memorial
Morris-Jumel Mansion
St. Paul’s Chapel
Queens Zoo
Herald Square
Coney Island
Brooklyn Brewery
Brooklyn Botanical Garden
New York Botanical Garden
Staten Island Botanical Garden
New York Aquarium
Prospect Park
South Ferry / Bowling Green
Fraunces Tavern / Stone Street / Hanover Square
Riverside Church
Conservatory Garden / Harlem Meer
Spuyten Duyvil / Riverdale
Wave Hill
Brooklyn Heights
Tribeca
Cobble Hill / Boerum Hill
Williamsburg
DUMBO
Park Slope
Long Island City
Flushing Meadows / National Tennis Center
Pelham Bay Park / Orchard Beach

Best views of the city

- Top of the Rock in Rockefeller Center has the best view of the city in my opinion, a bit better than the Empire State building.

- Best way to see the Statue of Liberty is by doing a loop on the Staten Island ferry, you go right past the statue and get a great view. And it’s only a couple dollars to take the ferry out to Staten Island and back to Manhattan.

- Brooklyn promenade in Brooklyn Heights has a great view of lower Manhattan. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, get some Grimaldi’s (see below), and check out the view from the promenade.

Bars/Pubs

- Standings – Awesome sports bar in the village, good craft beer selection. 43 E 7th St, New York, NY

- The Pony Bar – Great variety of craft beer on the west side of Manhattan. 637 10th Ave

- Beer Culture – More craft beer! 328 W 45th St New York, NY 10036

- McSorley’s Old Ale House – Very traditional NYC bar in the East Village, which is a great place to check out at night (close to NYU). They only have two types of beer – dark or light. 15 E 7th St New York, NY

- Bohemian Hall & Beer Garden – Outdoor beer garden in Astoria, Queens. 2919 24th Ave Astoria, NY 11102

Museums

- MoMA – Modern art museum, really great collection. 11 West 53 Street (between 5th and 6th Avenues)

- Guggenheim – A bunch of these museums are right on Central Park, so it makes for a great day walking around the park and checking them out. The Guggenheim is right on the east side of Central Park around 90th Street.

- Museum of Natural History – West side of Central Park around 80th Street

- Metropolitan Museum of Art – East side of Central Park at 82nd Street

- MoMA PS1 – If you like the MoMA I’d definitely check out PS1 as well. It’s a modern art museum set in the first NYC public school. Has a great lunch place called M. Wells Dinette in it (mentioned below). 22-25 Jackson Ave, Long Island City, NY 11101

NYC Food

- Pizza:

o Lombardi’s – First pizzeria in America. In the Nolita (stands for north of Little Italy) neighborhood in Manhattan. There are a lot of tourist traps in Little Italy, but a walk down Mulberry St is still pretty cool. 32 Spring St, New York, NY

o John's of Bleecker Street - Classic NYC brick oven pizza. Lots of bars and things to do in the Greenwich Village area (more detail in the 'Neighborhoods' section below.) 278 Bleecker St, New York, NY 10014

o Grimaldi’s – Might be up to an hour line depending on when you go, but very worth it! One of the best in the city, right under the Brooklyn Bridge. 1 Front St, Brooklyn, NY 11201

o Totonno’s – Way far out of the way in Coney Island – but if you wander out that way, this place has exceptional pizza.

o Di Fara – Also a bit of a trek out to Midwood, and a wait for the pies, but this one is my personal favorite. Get the square pie (if they still have any). 1424 Avenue J, New York, NY 11230

o Roberta’s – In the Bushwick area of Brooklyn, an up and coming neighborhood. They also do amazing Italian food in addition to some of the best pizzas. 261 Moore St Brooklyn, NY

- Bagels/Delis:

o Murray’s Bagels – Close to Union Square in the village, nice area to grab a bagel and walk around on a weekend morning. 500 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY

o Ess-A-Bagel – Excellent bagels and spreads. Voted some of the best bagels in the city. 831 3rd Ave, New York, NY

o Katz’s Deli – Amazing pastrami and corned beef, very traditional old NY style deli. Open late too so go here after going to a show on the Lower East Side (great venues in that neighborhood). 205 E Houston St, New York, NY

- Markets:

o Smorgasburg – Basically a flea market of food – all of the best food trucks and vendors in the city selling their product in one place. Amazing place to get a few small things for lunch. In the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn, only open 11-6 on Saturdays. East River State Park (90 Kent Ave at N. 7 St.)

o Greenmarket in Union Square – Best produce in the city, all from local farms. Open on Saturdays, right in Union Square.

- Barbeque:

o Mighty Quinn’s – NYC has some great barbeque spots, Mighty Quinn’s is one of the best. 103 2nd Ave, New York, NY

o John Brown’s – In Long Island City in Queens. Their specialty is burnt ends, which are the crispy, fatty edges of brisket. They sell out of them fairly quick, but if you go right after work they should still have some. Some great beer on tap here, too. 10-43 44th Dr, Long Island City, NY

o Fette Sau – Set in a garage in Williamsburg, it’s a great spot for barbeque before heading out for a night in Williamsburg.

- More upscale restaurants:

o Peter Luger’s – Expensive steaks, but widely known as the best in New York. Place has been around for over 125 years and wins the best steak award every year.

o Toro – Spanish tapas in the Meatpacking District, one of my favorites. 85 10th Ave, New York, NY 10011

o Luksus – Craft beer pairings with every course.. incredible. The tasting menu is expensive but so worth it. It's in the Greenpoint area in the back room of Torst, which is my favorite bar in the city. 615 Manhattan Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11222

o ABC Kitchen – One of the hardest restaurants to get a reservation for in the city, but for good reason. Works as a date spot, or for a nice dinner if your family is visiting. 35 E 18th St, New York, NY

o M. Wells Dinette – This place is in the Moma PS1 Museum in Queens, so it’s good for a lunch after checking out the museum. Some of the most inventive food in the city – menu changes pretty much every day. MoMA PS1, 22-25 Jackson Ave, Long Island City, NY 11101

Cool Neighborhoods

- Greenpoint/North Williamsburg in Brooklyn

o Brooklyn Bowl – A bowling alley where they serve a large variety of Brooklyn beers, and sometimes have gigs as well

o Torst – Amazing craft beer bar in Greenpoint, my personal favorite in the city

o Brooklyn Night Bazaar – A nighttime market on the weekends where they have shows, games, food vendors, a bit of everything

- Greenwich Village

o Washington Square Park – Cool park near NYU

o Bleecker Street – Lots of bars, places to eat. Makes for a great night out.

o Generation Records – One of the best vinyl stores in NY, great collection

o Irving Plaza and Webster Hall – Great places to see a show

o Proletariat - Great craft beer bar. Also near St. Marks Place, which is also a cool place to check out.

- Lower East Side

o Lots of cool bars here, can also walk across the Williamsburg Bridge to Williamsburg

o Cake Shop, ABC No Rio, Pianos, Bowery Ballroom – Some of my favorite places to see a show in NYC, all on the Lower East Side.

o The Whiskey Ward – If you like whiskey, this place has a great selection[/collapse]

Last edited:

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Best Hockey Bars in NYC?

Gonna be up in NYC tomorrow night and looking for a place to watch Anaheim-LA game 7... any advice?

Blueshirt13

Apr 23, 2004
Other side of the Ri
Kelly's in the East Village is a Chicago bar and I am sure will be showing the game. It is a bit of a dive though, so be warned.

Flying Puck, the 13th Step, Pennsylvania 6 and Stout will all likely have the game on with hockey fans watching. All had Rangers viewing parties for game 7.

Elvis Presley

Aka #30
Apr 14, 2009
brooklyn
I posted this in the post game talk thread. It's a video of the Flying Puck when we won game 7 against the Pens the other night. They also show all NHL games aside from NYR. Only place to be in NY to watch a game.

I got here from a thread that was moved from the main board asking 'Best place in NYC to watch the game'. That's why I made this response.

The Flying Puck
364 7th Ave, New York, NY 10001
(212) 736-5353

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I posted this in the post game talk thread. It's a video of the Flying Puck when we won game 7 against the Pens the other night. They also show all NHL games aside from NYR. Only place to be in NY to watch a game.

I got here from a thread that was moved from the main board asking 'Best place in NYC to watch the game'. That's why I made this response.

The Flying Puck
364 7th Ave, New York, NY 10001
(212) 736-5353

Appreciate it! I'll probably check it out tomorrow night.

BeauKnows19

Mar 28, 2012
New Jersey
My brother (a huge rangers fan) and I will be going into the city on thursday. We're hoping to spend some time at the hockey house, and try our luck at meeting some players/ getting autographs. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We'll also need a place to watch the game, any suggestions for a place thats friendly for someone under 21? Thanks in advance!

Nothingman*

I am going to be in the city this weekend and wondered if there was a good place to watch the Chicago game Saturday night? Prefer in Manhattan if possible as it will be easier. Kelleys was mentioned but nothing about being a Chicago bar. Thanks!

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I am going to be in the city this weekend and wondered if there was a good place to watch the Chicago game Saturday night? Prefer in Manhattan if possible as it will be easier. Kelleys was mentioned but nothing about being a Chicago bar. Thanks!

The Flying Puck is the only answer I can give. I am sure there's a bar for Chicago somewhere in the city I just don't know it personally.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

Windy City bar and grill in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, total Chicago Blackhawks bar. Take an R train ride to Brooklyn, 77th street stop, its about 25 minute ride out of Manhattan, 5 minute walk from train to the bar. It's a breeze.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Windy City bar and grill in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, total Chicago Blackhawks bar. Take an R train ride to Brooklyn, 77th street stop, its about 25 minute ride out of Manhattan, 5 minute walk from train to the bar. It's a breeze.

R train doesn't connect Brooklyn and Manhattan still due to the construction on the tunnel so just keep that in mind.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
what happened, Bluenote, you finally move out of Bay Ridge? One can take a train to Atlantic Avenue/Barclays and switch for the R (Which I believe is Pacific Street, but connected to the same station). Still a pretty easy trip. 4/5 is the best if one is near Grand Central or Union Square or 59th street east side. 2/3 on the west side. And of course a bunch of other trains that go to Pacific Street and I believe are just across the platform (B,D), or on the same track (N). A not-so-bad trip for a person looking for that kind of bar, and sometimes it's nice to be in the other boroughs.

Nothingman*

Thanks for the heads up everyone! I think Kelly's is going to have to work as she scheduled a dinner with friends at 6:30. I told her at 8pm we are out to watch the game. At least I am. I will be there with a Keith jersey on so hit me up and I might blow the cobwebs out of my wallet and buy you a drink :)

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
what happened, Bluenote, you finally move out of Bay Ridge? One can take a train to Atlantic Avenue/Barclays and switch for the R (Which I believe is Pacific Street, but connected to the same station). Still a pretty easy trip. 4/5 is the best if one is near Grand Central or Union Square or 59th street east side. 2/3 on the west side. And of course a bunch of other trains that go to Pacific Street and I believe are just across the platform (B,D), or on the same track (N). A not-so-bad trip for a person looking for that kind of bar, and sometimes it's nice to be in the other boroughs.

Oops--be careful with the Atlantic/Pacific train station--they are separate, not on the same track. The R, N and D go through Pacific (not that it's called that anymore) and the B and the Q run through Atlantic. There's a significant walk, plus up and down stairs to get from one to the other.

Instead, take the B, D, N or Q train from Manhattan (nice view from the Manhattan Bridge) and get off at DeKalb Ave--the R train is just accross the tracks--or if you are on the N train, stay on until 36th street and switch there for the R.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
and then off to Pizzeria Uno to finish off the Chicago in Brooklyn experience...still surprised that place is still there.

Yeah that Uno's still does business here. Oddly enough all the chain restaurants do well around here. The Outback steakhouse in Bensonhurst is packed every night.

R train doesn't connect Brooklyn and Manhattan still due to the construction on the tunnel so just keep that in mind.

Yeah I'm still here but I avoid the train as much as possible I take the express bus into Manhattan so I forget the R train line stops at Dekalb, you need to transfer to one of the lines that goes over the bridge like the N train.

Thanks for the heads up everyone! I think Kelly's is going to have to work as she scheduled a dinner with friends at 6:30. I told her at 8pm we are out to watch the game. At least I am. I will be there with a Keith jersey on so hit me up and I might blow the cobwebs out of my wallet and buy you a drink :)

:yo:

Oops--be careful with the Atlantic/Pacific train station--they are separate, not on the same track. The R, N and D go through Pacific (not that it's called that anymore) and the B and the Q run through Atlantic. There's a significant walk, plus up and down stairs to get from one to the other.

Instead, take the B, D, N or Q train from Manhattan (nice view from the Manhattan Bridge) and get off at DeKalb Ave--the R train is just accross the tracks--or if you are on the N train, stay on until 36th street and switch there for the R.

Good job 'kemo sabe', Brooklyn Ranger to the rescue !

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Thank you, Brooklyn...

yes, D, N, R are on the same platform - sorry for the confusion (was just there last week and seem to always remember it by the initials, DNR!). I did think it's still called Pacific, though, although haven't gotten off or on there in years, just transferred once (I'm on the F line, and stay on the F line!). And those steps...ugh!

Bluenote - I'm surprised about Outback and Uno. Well, for me, I like mostly locally owned (try to support as much as possible, but it's getting more and more difficule), but have been partial to home cooking of late because you just can't get into any good place after 6:30pm these days!

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
yes, D, N, R are on the same platform - sorry for the confusion (was just there last week and seem to always remember it by the initials, DNR!). I did think it's still called Pacific, though, although haven't gotten off or on there in years, just transferred once (I'm on the F line, and stay on the F line!). And those steps...ugh!

Bluenote - I'm surprised about Outback and Uno. Well, for me, I like mostly locally owned (try to support as much as possible, but it's getting more and more difficule), but have been partial to home cooking of late because you just can't get into any good place after 6:30pm these days!

The Pacific Street station has been wiped off the map at the MTA website--it's called Atlantic/Barclays on the maps although it's still says Pacific St at the station itself. The transfer between the three subway lines there is much better since the rennovation, but it's still a schlep.

As for me, I stay away from transferring there whenever possible--but I'm usually on the F too. It's funny how I've really missed the R running into Manhattan. Damn you Sandy.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Same here, Brooklyn. I only notice the sign when I'm there (Pacific Street) or walking outside. There are a couple bars there (on 4th Avenue)) I'd go to and took the R from the City (especially since I work on the Lexington line). Waiting for that darn F express already! Trains sucked this Winter; better not have these issues in the Summer! Signal problem after signal problem after signal problem!!! Bottom line is it ain't such a bad trip to Brooklyn these days (much to my chagrin at times because I rarely can get a pie from Totonno's in the Summer any longer!!).

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I know this is a shot in the dark, but is there a bar in New York that shows the ice hockey World Championships? I'd like to see the Finland - Czech Republic game tomorrow.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I know this is a shot in the dark, but is there a bar in New York that shows the ice hockey World Championships? I'd like to see the Finland - Czech Republic game tomorrow.

It's going to be on TV, NBC-sports channel. You should be able to go to any bar and ask them to put the game on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad