New York City Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Spending time in Manhattan for the first time in around 10 years, beyond Rangers games. Taking the train from Charlotte into Penn Station. Getting sushi in the Village at a place my uncle and aunt have been going for 20 years. Going up Freedom Tower. I know that second thing is really touristy, but I never got the chance to go up the old WTC.

We will see what else I do. Spending less than 30 hours there before heading to the outer suburbs in the Hudson Valley for the rest of my vacation.

What time was the train from Charlotte?

Hope you didn't leave a car in the parking lot here.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Freedom Tower is a colossal rip off at like $34+ a ticket. Look for groupons and this month they have half price tickets after 7 pm ($17)

Ugh..I hate the name "Freedom Tower". People need to stop calling it that. The official name of the building is One World Trade Center (1WTC).

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I always want to call it that, but I thought everyone called it Freedom Tower.

Some people do still call it that, but it's 1 World Trade. The Yankees+Dallas Cowboys run the observation deck by the way. They also run the concessions at Devils games (there's a whole conspiracy about the governor of NJ being best buddies with Jerry Jones to close Izod center to send all the business to Prudential Center)

highandwide

It's gold Jerry.
Nov 28, 2011
NYC
not sure where to ask this but received a few mailers from the Mets for BOGO tickets but can't seem to find where you need to put the code. See there is a Smart Circle offer but can't find the code anywhere online.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If any of you are in the city right now, Richter and the Cup are at Grand Central.

I unfortunately didn't realize this was happening while I was leaving work, otherwise I would have gotten off the 7 there before I hit Queens... :(

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If any of you are in the city right now, Richter and the Cup are at Grand Central.

I unfortunately didn't realize this was happening while I was leaving work, otherwise I would have gotten off the 7 there before I hit Queens... :(

Duggan, Kessel, and Coyne were in the Empire State Building and then across the street at Foley's.

I'm in the Empire State Building.

Why didn't anyone tell me :rant:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
not sure where to ask this but received a few mailers from the Mets for BOGO tickets but can't seem to find where you need to put the code. See there is a Smart Circle offer but can't find the code anywhere online.

Use the code DONUTS as there's also a Dunkin BOGO offer. I got the mailer you're talking about but threw it out. It's only on April and May games.

http://m.mlb.com/nym/tickets/info/dd-customer

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So the World Trade Center was incredible. Had a fantastic clear morning with incredible visibility. In reality, I'm not a tourist. I grew up in the area. There's no other tourist attraction I would've really enjoyed. Done most of them. But damn, was that spectacular.

Then we walked down to Battery Park and back up Broadway, then zigzagged around until we got back to the East Village where I was staying.

Plus, I had incredible sushi, bagels, and cannoli. I was a little disappointed in the pizza for some reason. My uncle swore by Ray's, but I was underwhelmed.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
So the World Trade Center was incredible. Had a fantastic clear morning with incredible visibility. In reality, I'm not a tourist. I grew up in the area. There's no other tourist attraction I would've really enjoyed. Done most of them. But damn, was that spectacular.

Then we walked down to Battery Park and back up Broadway, then zigzagged around until we got back to the East Village where I was staying.

Plus, I had incredible sushi, bagels, and cannoli. I was a little disappointed in the pizza for some reason. My uncle swore by Ray's, but I was underwhelmed.

Joe's Pizza on Carmine Street (Greenwich Village) is one of the best pizza places in the city.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Joe's Pizza on Carmine Street (Greenwich Village) is one of the best pizza places in the city.

Maybe next time I'm there. The pizza I had in my hometown up in Putnam County was actually better, which doesn't usually happen.

Still, both were better than anything I can get in Charlotte.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Best slice imo is Joe's on Bleeker (they have a successful outpost in Union Square too).

Tawnos where did you go for sushi? For my $$, it's always Yasaka (UWS) or Tomoe (Greenwich).

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Best slice imo is Joe's on Bleeker (they have a successful outpost in Union Square too).

Tawnos where did you go for sushi? For my $$, it's always Yasaka (UWS) or Tomoe (Greenwich).

Marumi. Just south of Washington Square Park. They've been getting sushi from that chef since they moved to that neighborhood in 1979. It was really great.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Marumi. Just south of Washington Square Park. They've been getting sushi from that chef since they moved to that neighborhood in 1979. It was really great.

Thanks! I'm adding it to the list.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island

i live in manhattan and im from the island but i also enjoyed the view from top of the rock last time I went up

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Maybe next time I'm there. The pizza I had in my hometown up in Putnam County was actually better, which doesn't usually happen.

Still, both were better than anything I can get in Charlotte.
I live in Brewster and grew up in Lake Carmel, so I'm curious which pizza place you went to?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Been there and it's very good. Geitanos in Brewster by the Kohls and Home Depot and Gappis in Kent on 52 are my faves.

I actually had Tortellini Carbonara from Gappy's while I was there too. Decided against pizza only because I had already had a bunch. It was great though.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Just putting in a plug for Trattoria Sorrentina in North Bergen, NJ as my vote for best pizza in the area. I think it's the thing I miss most about the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad