New Third Jerseys in 2013-14?

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
it irks me to no end that boston fans (and bruins ownership) think they own pittsburgh colors. it's a big reason why i want the penguins to bring back the colors.
What makes it even better is the Bruins were yellow and brown for the first ten years of their existence.

bosbruinsorig.jpg

BostonBruins26-27jersey.png

The Pittsburgh Pirates (hockey team) were wearing yellow and black before them.

jers_pirates.jpg

**** got weird in their last year though and they went orange and black before moving to Philly.

2930PiratesJersey_display_image.jpg

Anderson55

Jun 18, 2010
A year or so ago, someone on this site edited the 2007 winter classic jerseys, and made them black white and yellow. i thought they were awesome even for full time

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
If they come out with another one I'll be interested to see what they do. I don't see how they could do blue again, which I think everyone is fine with anyways, but also I don't think they'll do a true throwback either because as we all know it's about the $. They want something new people won't have yet. Sounds like it could be a disaster to me lol

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I guess I'm alone in liking the circle logo. Sure a lot of teams have moved to them but Pittsburgh Penguins just fits well in that circle. If they do go to blue again, I would rather see a play off of the mid to late 70's jersey. Its just a blue version of the 90's cup jersey's.

Nope. I love both circle logos and I loved the powder blue throwbacks as an alternate. I'm less thrilled with our current alts, but they've grown to be tolerable for me, but it really should have just been a one-time jersey.

As much as I loved the powder blue jersey, I was ready for it to be retired for the progress of new alt -> new primaries...but the Winter Classic came and screwed that up and pushed that back by two years.

What the alt will be is anyone's guess...but I think we can stop going back to a decade plus-old's quote about Lemieux's views on the 1980-92 jerseys. They do sell...but introducing that same essential design with the vegas gold would have 17,000 people in that arena wearing the same damn jersey (the other ~1,400 would be puck bunnies in their old Jiri Slegr and Steve McKenna jerseys). The fact that the navy jersey exists proves that these guys do indeed love money, and that would be an absurd money-maker.

That and the home-and-road jerseys will be replaced in the coming years. The only reason they lasted as long as they have has been the fact that we've been a good team during their existence and Crosby and Malkin could sell any jersey...the team didn't design the jerseys and the fans aren't crazy about them...but they sell. Imagine how well a set would sell that the fans actually love.

Last edited:

King of the Fall

Aug 26, 2007
I may be mistaken but I think I heard that the pens won't go back to the cup year jerseys or colors because they want the identity of the team to be sid's not Mario's. They believe Sid is the vegas gold and the powder blue colors.

I actually am ok with this. But I would like to see a brand new jersey unveiled instead of just another one from the 60's or 70's

also, post 1300! woo

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I may be mistaken but I think I heard that the pens won't go back to the cup year jerseys or colors because they want the identity of the team to be sid's not Mario's. They believe Sid is the vegas gold and the powder blue colors.

I actually am ok with this. But I would like to see a brand new jersey unveiled instead of just another one from the 60's or 70's

also, post 1300! woo

That's the decade-old quote I was talking about.

Listen, the color change happened and it's not going to be reversed as long as Mario is running things...but I see no reason why we can't have a similarly-designed jersey with the updated colors. After all, that design is our heritage. It dates to the Hornets, the Penguins wore a similar design through most of the 70s, and then it switched colors in 1980. Between 1965-92 Pittsburgh teams had no less than 7 variations of that design (not counting minor tweaks, which there were plenty of, and I'm not counting the early/mid 70s designs that were so similar because the yokes don't fit the profile), all in different color schemes.

Part of me wanting that so badly is because the thought of any new design is terrifying to me. Hockey jersey design reached their apex in the 70s and 80s and has been steadily going downhill ever since. The past alternate jerseys at least show that the team isn't afraid of dipping into their past for jerseys, which would seem to go in the face of that original 'identity' quote (which was made before the blue jerseys came into existence and I believe before Sid and Geno were in the organization).

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
can't imagine we'll get another blue jersey or that Mario Lemieux's Penguins will do anything crazy and super modern. If I were to bet on it, I'd say they roll back the clock a couple of decades to sport something similar to what Lemieux and friends wore whilst leading the team to back-to-back Stanley Cups. But that's all just wishful guess work. It could be anything at this point.

I've been asking for those for years, bring the early 90's jerseys back baby!!!!:yo:

Mario doesn't want to take away from what these guys are doing going back to his era of things. It's their time now.

Edit: I should read a bit further along before posting.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
View attachment 60269

Found it

Bottom white and black are great

I'm probably alone in saying this, but I love the top left and right jerseys. The vegas gold isn't as nice as the yellow, but since the vegas gold isn't going anywhere, I'd love to have our homes be primarily vegas gold, rather than black. black jerseys are boring.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
No more f*&()$% blue!
I think I remember Hockey Night in Canada talking about Sid not liking the blue or at least the WC jerseys.

If the Pens do go blue I'm hoping for the 77-78 jersey. Just use the scarfless circle logo on that and put the numbers on the upper arms.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
I think I remember Hockey Night in Canada talking about Sid not liking the blue or at least the WC jerseys.

If the Pens do go blue I'm hoping for the 77-78 jersey. Just use the scarfless circle logo on that and put the numbers on the upper arms.

Yep, that is a beauty.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I've loved both of the blue ones but I'd love to see these:
Cheap%20nhl%20jerseys%20CCM%20Pittsburgh%20Penguins%2087%20Sidney%20Crosby%20Yellow%20Jersey.jpg

Hell. Yeah.

also, post 1300! woo

Maybe the organization feels that way, but it's a bit of a goofy perspective. Should the Habs feel compelled to change their jersey for a star's sake? Of course not. It's about the team, and I sincerely doubt any jersey change is going to affect Sid's on-ice performance.

Classic is classic. The '80s and early '90s Pens jerseys were bold and memorable. That's what it should return to. The current colour scheme is bland, not representative of the city's colours, and should be treated as an aberration.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
"They want the newer jerseys to belong to the Sid/Geno era, not the Mario era"

Translation:

"We already sell those early '90s jerseys and a lot of people already have them so we wouldn't be making money hand over fist if the team worse those ones."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad