Confirmed with Link: New Scoreboard at Gila River Arena

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
For those who didn’t go yesterday, it’s massive. Very impressive. I sat in 105 and got the smaller screen but it’s still better than what we had before
Didn't like that it drops the time clock, sog's etc immediately after play stops, but there are other scoreboards with that info - so just an adjustment. Minor beef, pic was great and I've got smaller board in 104 too.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
FWIW... display was designed for an NBA team.

No doubt there’s going to be growing pains with it. I saw multiple complaints about the penalty display. Hopefully they’ll listen and come up with a solution.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I'm in 214, and I have to admit that a few times I found myself watching the live game on the video board rather than the ice before coming to my senses. It was easy to see the puck on it during replays.

Yeah, the penalty clock is almost unreadable, and not something you can glance at during play.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I can appreciate the criticism of the in-game stats, like the clock and penalty timer, they are small indeed. The screen resolution is much better and overall it's an improvement. I do think the fans who sit center ice; high lower bowl and upper bowl received get the best view, because of the size of those two screens. In a perfect world, a more square set up, with equal sized screens would have been nice.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I can appreciate the criticism of the in-game stats, like the clock and penalty timer, they are small indeed. The screen resolution is much better and overall it's an improvement. I do think the fans who sit center ice; high lower bowl and upper bowl received get the best view, because of the size of those two screens. In a perfect world, a more square set up, with equal sized screens would have been nice.

I'm able to vouch for this, upper center, 2nd row inside the blue line, and it's truly breathtaking. There is a bit of a learning curve to get used to know where to glance for the clock/penalty timer, but that's expected...only negative so far is whatever they've done with the media level, they no longer use the video screens that I could glance up and look at for replays in addition to the big one in the center of the arena.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Anybody got pictures? (Sorry, my dad didn't purchase tickets before the game, so I didn't go to the home opener.)

I took one photo of it from my seat about ten minutes before game time. Real flattering view of Stepan.
NhnY00F.jpg

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I love the new scoreboard and the new lighting. Strange timing, one way or another we know we are on our way out of that arena. I know the changes weren't done just for hockey but primarily so, but I digress...

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I have near perfect vision and yet even I have a hard time finding the penalty time clock on the scoreboard. I feel like they need to make it more prominent. Once I find it, I can see the time just fine, but I think it may just be in a busy spot on the screen and probably not big enough for the people who are visually impaired.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Strange timing, one way or another we know we are on our way out of that arena.
I sure wish we knew something on this. What happened to that person that comes in occasionally with inside information? I question his credibility but an update would be nice before I get any more attached to this franchise.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Sorry for bumping the thread, mods, but guess which website FINALLY mentioned the new scoreboard?

Arizona Coyotes - Gila River Arena

(BTW, I love Daktronics scoreboards. I'm not weird; I'm excentric. ;) )

Well, it also mentions the install date as 2013, so maybe it was listed under the Palace at Auburn Hills before? (or was 2013 referring to the ribbon, which has been there a while)

Anyway, of all people they could have shown, they show a photo with Keith Tkachuk :laugh:

Strange timing, one way or another we know we are on our way out of that arena. I know the changes weren't done just for hockey but primarily so, but I digress...

Meh, sounds like it's a website for video display geeks primarily; they wouldn't care...unless a new arena gets built and it gets passed on again...but maybe then we'll get an even *bigger* one!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I love the new scoreboard and the new lighting. Strange timing, one way or another we know we are on our way out of that arena. I know the changes weren't done just for hockey but primarily so, but I digress...

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I have near perfect vision and yet even I have a hard time finding the penalty time clock on the scoreboard. I feel like they need to make it more prominent. Once I find it, I can see the time just fine, but I think it may just be in a busy spot on the screen and probably not big enough for the people who are visually impaired.

I think they need to re-work where all the displays are on the board. I don't like the big bottom strip ticker thing it should be placed more like a traditional display just with a HD screen.

Reactions: RABBIT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad