Confirmed with Link: New Scoreboard at Gila River Arena

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
People are self-segregated for good reason at this point. The reddit group isn't that bad.

Also, reddit is like the 6th or 7th most popular website out there (right after Wikipedia) so where you been hiding? ;)

Did they switch to LEDs from those dreary old halogens?

I wish i could tell you I'm more technologically advanced than i am. I only like hanging out with you guys. And anythingggg is better than the current lighting we have. So dim are dark on the telly

TheWestWing

Nov 22, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I wish i could tell you I'm more technologically advanced than i am. I only like hanging out with you guys. And anythingggg is better than the current lighting we have. So dim are dark on the telly

Could be worse - every SJ game I have to turn up the brightness since their arena is a dungeon. Maybe Erik can steal a few bulbs from OTT on his way out.

And since we're kinda on the topic of arena ambience (and full disclosure - I'm an old(er) curmudgeon), why in Gawd's name must the music be ear splitting? And also blasting on every single stoppage in play?

Hockey fans are (kinda) cerebral. We sometimes like to talk to each other between puck drops and discuss the last shift or two. Unlike most other sports 'action', our attention span is longer than 20 seconds. Sometimes we need to catch our thoughts after an intense three minutes without a stoppage in play. I just wonder if the newest tech is linked to the ref's whistle that as soon as he blows the music comes blaring down at earth shattering decibels. HTG I wear my musician plugs now at games.

Berthiaume over on the Dbacks broadcasts jokes about the huge speaker out in center field at Dodger stadium as it's ear splitting even in the broadcast booth. Calls it the DeathStar. And that's in an open stadium! Wonder if he's ever been to a game here???

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It seemed to me like the music wasn't as loud last year as it was the year before, so there was some improvement. I agree I could go with even less though, in volume and frequency. It could also be a "get off my lawn" thing, but I still don't understand the appeal of having a DJ do the music at a hockey game. Just play standard sports music, mix in some organ stuff, and call it a day.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Would like to do away with T shirt tosses. People spend $75 for a ticket and then act like barbarians over a $4 T Shirt. People get hurt. I'm surprised that we haven't seen a child with a serious injury or a Flying Wallenda from the upper deck. The team can use a roulette wheel to pick sections or rows to receive T shirts.

Reactions: YOW

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Believe the Tucson arena got new lighting as well.

We're probably getting the old stuff from Joe Louis Arena :laugh:

Reactions: 0point1

Tom Polakis

Eternal Optimist
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
And since we're kinda on the topic of arena ambience (and full disclosure - I'm an old(er) curmudgeon), why in Gawd's name must the music be ear splitting? And also blasting on every single stoppage in play?

Hockey fans are (kinda) cerebral. We sometimes like to talk to each other between puck drops and discuss the last shift or two. Unlike most other sports 'action', our attention span is longer than 20 seconds. Sometimes we need to catch our thoughts after an intense three minutes without a stoppage in play...

Man, don't get me started. I just want to talk about how the game is going. It's ironic that you can only do it when the puck is in play, and the place is quiet. I wrote to my ticket rep about it, and talked to the entertainment guys well before a game a couple seasons back. They were good listeners, but their response (doubtless correct) is that's what most fans want.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Man, don't get me started. I just want to talk about how the game is going. It's ironic that you can only do it when the puck is in play, and the place is quiet. I wrote to my ticket rep about it, and talked to the entertainment guys well before a game a couple seasons back. They were good listeners, but their response (doubtless correct) is that's what most fans want.

If they aren't playing ear splitting music, I won't dance when the camera puts me on the Jumbotron. (probably a good thing)

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I guess I'm one of those people who enjoy the loud music and all that jazz. Well, at particular times I think it's better than others. Intros I like loud, goal celebrations, the "pump up" moments and such. During intermissions and normal play breaks it doesn't bother me when it's a bit quieter so that people can talk about what's happening haha. I'm for whatever gets the crowd excited and into the game most. That's one of the things I love about hockey/ playoff hockey especially.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
If they aren't playing ear splitting music, I won't dance when the camera puts me on the Jumbotron. (probably a good thing)

Yeah, and last year they stopped playing 'Sandstorm' during the last TV break in the 3rd period, so now we can't look across at the little wedge section in the upper deck (204) doing their standing line dance...wait, was that you?

Reactions: kbay

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Yeah, and last year they stopped playing 'Sandstorm' during the last TV break in the 3rd period, so now we can't look across at the little wedge section in the upper deck (204) doing their standing line dance...wait, was that you?
No. but if I was there, I'd be the guy out of sync with everyone else and then totally doing his own thing.

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I guess I'm one of those people who enjoy the loud music and all that jazz. Well, at particular times I think it's better than others. Intros I like loud, goal celebrations, the "pump up" moments and such. During intermissions and normal play breaks it doesn't bother me when it's a bit quieter so that people can talk about what's happening haha. I'm for whatever gets the crowd excited and into the game most. That's one of the things I love about hockey/ playoff hockey especially.
Loud is fine, but when you wear ear plugs and you can still hear the music is not. It's so loud you can't even talk to the person next to you.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Loud is fine, but when you wear ear plugs and you can still hear the music is not. It's so loud you can't even talk to the person next to you.

Depends on who you're sitting with! Sometimes you don't wanna hear what they are saying right? (Particularly overly drunk and enthusiastic fans of other teams) Haha.

The loudest I remember the music being in Glendale was the first game intro against Nashville... they played Powerman 5000 and it was CRANKED up. Never that loud again (that I've noticed), and I suspect they got some complaints about it haha!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't care about the volume so much I just wish they wouldn't interrupt cheers (you know back when the team was worth cheering). Meaning the person pushing the audio buttons has to you know pay attention. If the entire arena is howling don't start playing Enter Sandman at 11.

For particular song selection, I'd like to see them have some sort of rotation. For example if I go to a game Wednesday and a game Sunday, I'd like to hear different stuff each time.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I don't care about the volume so much I just wish they wouldn't interrupt cheers (you know back when the team was worth cheering). Meaning the person pushing the audio buttons has to you know pay attention. If the entire arena is howling don't start playing Enter Sandman at 11.

For particular song selection, I'd like to see them have some sort of rotation. For example if I go to a game Wednesday and a game Sunday, I'd like to hear different stuff each time.

I'd like to have this job, I would fix it; volume, timing, and variety (maybe). Regarding the lack of variety, I wonder if licensing has anything to do with it. It seems like many teams use the same songs for in game stuff. I'm curious if there is an approved list of music from which to choose?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
My metrics driven response is that the music is too loud for conversation. It needs to go down, and I really miss the "Welcome to the Jungle" intro.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->