Line Combos: New PP & ES lines at practice. Bourque Benched?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
You are just repeating yourself. How long did they play together? 25 mins in two games?

Not to mention that at that point, they hadn't even practiced together.

Chemistry doesn't develop in 25 mins buddy.

Back in the day I found girls worth stalking, in less than 25 minutes. We had chemistry damnit, even if they didn't admit it. :shakehead

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
The season is dwindling.. our starting goalie is still injured.. we can't afford to sit around and play with ourselves hoping that chemistry will develop when it is abundantly clear that Vanek/Gionta is a doomed combination.

It's been a long time since I've seen two players so incredible out of sync with each other. Gionta does not understand Vanek. Gionta's skill-set does not bring anything to the table of that line that makes it an threatening line.

Give Vanek some legitimate skill to work with on the right side and Plekanec can be the responsible two-way guy that he has been throughout his career.

I personally would have no problem with Vanek/Pleks/Galchenyuk. Some may say that that line would be doomed defensively going head to head against top opposition, which may hold some water, but I think so highly of Plekanec's defensive game that I wouldn't hesitate to put anyone on his wings. Looking at Bergeron in Boston and his two most common teammates this season are Marchand/Smith. I wouldn't call those wingers defensive stalwarts, but all 3 players have 40+ points on the season and are a combined +70... (pains me to complement the B's). Point is is that not every two way center in the league absolutely needs a Gionta on their wing to survive. I think Pleks' could survive head to head with whoever is on his wings, he's not DD.

What is there to lose at this point anyway? The team is 20-17-1 since December 1. That's an 88 point pace over the course of 82 games. Not exactly top of the East type play. I think these 3 players would be more capable of spending more time in the offensive zone than if Gionta was there, and more time on attack is about as good a defence as you can come up with.

I like Gionta, but I don't think Gionta on the top line helps the team win as much as it does help the team tread water. Also, on the subject of line matching there's been games where MT hasn't exactly been consistent sending Pleks' line against opposing top lines. Their last game vs. the Leafs the Kessel line got away from Pleks' line half the night, on the road... So, yeah.

Gionta on Eller's line let's say gives enough defensive stability to his line, that MT could almost roll 3 lines and get away with it. Add Moen there and you're covered, and then the 4th line could have Bourque/Briere/Prust to basically demolish opposing 4th lines. This team has so much going for it on paper, it's ridiculous they've been so mediocre since December.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
They had two games to generate -a- scoring chance.

They haven't.

No one is suggesting musical chairs. We're just expecting the eye test to yield that this is an experiment going no where and that there are other options to try before going back to forcing this one.

Did you actually watch the game ? They created a few good (not excellent) scoring chances that could've easily gone in. First one that comes to mind is the pass from behind the net by Gionta on Vanek's stick which Vanek then proceeded to shoot right in the goalies chest. A sniper given a good shot like that in the slot is considered a prime scoring chance.

I'll admit that they didn't look dangerous every shift and they did not look like they had instant intuitive chemistry, but these guys are vets. They'll figure out ways to find each other on the ice given some play time together IMO.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
They had two games to generate -a- scoring chance.

They haven't.

No one is suggesting musical chairs. We're just expecting the eye test to yield that this is an experiment going no where and that there are other options to try before going back to forcing this one.

so, you think I should have put a different emoticon at the end of my post... :naughty:

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Pretty easy to figure out what to do..

Pacioretty: top 6 forward
Desharnais: Offense-line forward only
Gallagher: top 6 forward
Vanek: top 6 forward
Plekanec: top 6 forward
Gionta: bottom 6 forward
Galchenyuk: top 6 forward
Eller: bottom 6 forward
Briere: top 6 forward
Bourque: Enigma
Bournival: bottom 6 forward
Moen: bottom 6 forward
Prust: bottom 6 forward
White: bottom 6 forward
Weise: bottom 6 forward.

Briere & Bourque get scratched for me.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Galchenyuk (if this line is going to be the exploitation line, then give Galchenyuk that task).
Vanek-Plekanec-Gallagher
Moen-Eller-Gionta (This is your shut down line that can grind in the opposition zone and drive possession)
Prust-White-Weise (This is the best 4th line we've had in years, it should constantly be played).

Feel free to switch Galchenyuk & Gallagher.

I'd try it a little differently. I still maintain despite his struggles that Eller is the key. Getting a 3rd line scoring is what made the team better last year, now you basically get zip from the bottom two lines.

Max-DD-Vanek. Give Vanek to our "#1" centre.
Briere-Plek-Gio. This line worked before and Plekanec/Gionta can still carry tough defensive assignments even with Briere.
EGG. Needs no explanation.
Moen-White-Prust/Weise. Keep doing what you're doing. Great 4th line.

Getting Eller and Galchenyuk going would help the team a lot, so reuniting the EGG line makes a lot of sense IMO.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Okay, so knowing that Patches and DD plus a net crasher guy, currently Gallagher, are shaky defensively and good offensively, giving them lots more O zone starts and a lot less D zone starts does make sense. So MT is smart on that.

However, now having Vanek should instantly give us another serious scoring line. I think Pleks is a good two way guy whose production is low only because of the role he fills. To me, Pleks and Vanek are well worthy of putting on the same line. I just don't think Gio fits with what that line should be doing. Gio is a smart player but his body from age and injuries just isn't there to be on an offensive line. Put Gally on the line and give them more O zone starts.

I was hoping the EGG line would get another chance, but if you stay with Patches-DD-Gallagher and go Vanek/Galchenyuk-Pleks-Vanek/Galchenyuk then at least we have two scoring lines not just one. Then you can have Prust -Eller-Gio as your checking line and then at least Eller knows what his role is and perhaps steps up his play.

Hmmm, this looks like what WTK put up a day or so ago as I recall.

Only thing Im disappointed about is I really hoped we could roll 3 offensive lines as that is when we were most deadly offensively, but we have a couple guys either not showing up or who just don't have it anymore.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Okay, so knowing that Patches and DD plus a net crasher guy, currently Gallagher, are shaky defensively and good offensively, giving them lots more O zone starts and a lot less D zone starts does make sense. So MT is smart on that.

However, now having Vanek should instantly give us another serious scoring line. I think Pleks is a good two way guy whose production is low only because of the role he fills. To me, Pleks and Vanek are well worthy of putting on the same line. I just don't think Gio fits with what that line should be doing. Gio is a smart player but his body from age and injuries just isn't there to be on an offensive line. Put Gally on the line and give them more O zone starts.

I was hoping the EGG line would get another chance, but if you stay with Patches-DD-Gallagher and go Vanek/Galchenyuk-Pleks-Vanek/Galchenyuk then at least we have two scoring lines not just one. Then you can have Prust -Eller-Gio as your checking line and then at least Eller knows what his role is and perhaps steps up his play.

Hmmm, this looks like what WTK put up a day or so ago as I recall.

Only thing Im disappointed about is I really hoped we could roll 3 offensive lines as that is when we were most deadly offensively, but we have a couple guys either not showing up or who just don't have it anymore.

Yup.. I think if Eller plays on a more defensively oriented line with Gio.. give him Prust or Moen.. and the instruction to play defensively while grinding out the opposition in the offensive zone, it might work out as a shut down line that -can- chip in offense rather than a 3rd line with no real identity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad