Line Combos: New PP & ES lines at practice. Bourque Benched?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Vanek probably won't be here after the playoffs and Briere will surely be gone in a year if not sooner. It will be interesting to see what the team will look like as it enters the 2014-15 season. Will Markov still be a Hab? Now that Collberg is gone, will any of the remaining prospects make the team? What will happen at the 2014 draft, including the possibility of trades?

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Vanek-Plek-Gionta is not working at all. Does MT really need another game to see that?

They only had two games together...and no practice time together after a grueling 7 games in 11 days trip where the team was obviously gassed.
I think it's safe to say that we can't really make any decisive conclusions yet out of such bad sample.

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
They only had two games together...and no practice time together after a grueling 7 games in 11 days trip where the team was obviously gassed.
I think it's safe to say that we can't really make any decisive conclusions yet out of such bad sample.

I also think it's safe to say that on paper this lane doesn't work.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Pretty easy to figure out what to do..

Pacioretty: top 6 forward
Desharnais: Offense-line forward only
Gallagher: top 6 forward
Vanek: top 6 forward
Plekanec: top 6 forward
Gionta: bottom 6 forward
Galchenyuk: top 6 forward
Eller: bottom 6 forward
Briere: top 6 forward
Bourque: Enigma
Bournival: bottom 6 forward
Moen: bottom 6 forward
Prust: bottom 6 forward
White: bottom 6 forward
Weise: bottom 6 forward.

Briere & Bourque get scratched for me.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Galchenyuk (if this line is going to be the exploitation line, then give Galchenyuk that task).
Vanek-Plekanec-Gallagher
Moen-Eller-Gionta (This is your shut down line that can grind in the opposition zone and drive possession)
Prust-White-Weise (This is the best 4th line we've had in years, it should constantly be played).

Feel free to switch Galchenyuk & Gallagher.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
You are right. We should wait to see them on the ice before judging. Oh wait we already did and it was terrible.

You are just repeating yourself. How long did they play together? 25 mins in two games?

Not to mention that at that point, they hadn't even practiced together.

Chemistry doesn't develop in 25 mins buddy.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You are just repeating yourself. How long did they play together? 25 mins in two games?

The season is dwindling.. our starting goalie is still injured.. we can't afford to sit around and play with ourselves hoping that chemistry will develop when it is abundantly clear that Vanek/Gionta is a doomed combination.

It's been a long time since I've seen two players so incredible out of sync with each other. Gionta does not understand Vanek. Gionta's skill-set does not bring anything to the table of that line that makes it an threatening line.

Give Vanek some legitimate skill to work with on the right side and Plekanec can be the responsible two-way guy that he has been throughout his career.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
The season is dwindling.. our starting goalie is still injured.. we can't afford to sit around and play with ourselves hoping that chemistry will develop when it is abundantly clear that Vanek/Gionta is a doomed combination.

It's been a long time since I've seen two players so incredible out of sync with each other. Gionta does not understand Vanek. Gionta's skill-set does not bring anything to the table of that line that makes it an threatening line.

Give Vanek some legitimate skill to work with on the right side and Plekanec can be the responsible two-way guy that he has been throughout his career.

Been having this arguement on twitter all day. I can't believe people don't understand this.

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec

I want results right now and not waiting 10 games before they play good together.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Been having this arguement on twitter all day. I can't believe people don't understand this.

also agreed. There are certain players who can make anyone better, but frankly most skill forwards need others who think and play the game at the same level and same speed as them to be successful. Gionta is not good enough to play with Vanek. Galchenyuk is and hell get better playing with him. We probably wont have Vanek for long, so he should be soaking up as much experience with him as possible.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Pretty easy to figure out what to do..

Briere & Bourque get scratched for me.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Galchenyuk (if this line is going to be the exploitation line, then give Galchenyuk that task).
Vanek-Plekanec-Gallagher
Moen-Eller-Gionta (This is your shut down line that can grind in the opposition zone and drive possession)
Prust-White-Weise (This is the best 4th line we've had in years, it should constantly be played).

Feel free to switch Galchenyuk & Gallagher.

I actually like these lines quite a bit. And yes, I don't mind switching Galch for Gally. Also wouldn't mind having Briere in during PP and during times when we need extra offense, though how we fit him in I haven't a clue. Maybe replacing Pleky if and only if Pleky is looking gassed or otherwise sluggish during a game as he sometimes does at the latter part of the season and only during offensive zone situations.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
The odds of Montreal missing the playoffs at this point are practically nonexistent. They're setting up for the playoffs and playing for seeding.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Some were giving MT credit last game for finally splitting the lines, when some where cynical, MT was damned if he did, damned if he doesnt.

Well, essentially aside from those ten minutes in the third, he has just put all the same failing lines back together, and *maybe* has scratched Bourque.

The same regurgitated crap just like the coach himself

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The odds of Montreal missing the playoffs at this point are practically nonexistent. They're setting up for the playoffs and playing for seeding.

If Detroit wins their next two games they are at 75 pts.. 2 back of us with the same GP. Meaning, yes, we can miss the play-offs.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

The longer Price is out, the higher those odds become. The schedule to the end is no piece of cake either. Playoffs are by no means a sure thing yet.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
If Detroit wins their next two games they are at 75 pts.. 2 back of us with the same GP. Meaning, yes, we can miss the play-offs.

It wouldn't be enough.

Look, I'm the first to complain that the Habs are playing very poorly, but the odds on them falling out are quite long. The Habs would have to be passed by five teams. The odds of that are very low. Give each of Tampa, New York, Philly, Columbus and Detroit a 75% chance of passing the Habs and the Habs still make the playoffs over 75% of the time. That's not counting the odds that a team like the Leafs would end up behind.

They only need ~16 points, or one per game, to hit 93. They don't even need to win half their games if they collect a few loser points. Their record since that Los Angeles blowout has been pretty terrible, and they could continue at that pace and make it.

The Habs aren't safe from a lengthy collapse, given their possession numbers and so on, but it would take no less for them to miss out. And even that's quite unlikely.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It wouldn't be enough. The Habs would have to be passed by five teams. The odds of that are very low.

The Habs aren't safe from a lengthy collapse, given their possession numbers and so on, but it would take no less.

No, they have to be passed by 3 teams..

TB knocks them out of the Division..

Columbus wins their next 2 games, they are 2 back with the same GP.

We're not a lock as you think.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
yeah, agreed. MT should switch linemates every shift until one line score...

no time to waste!! :nod:

They had two games to generate -a- scoring chance.

They haven't.

No one is suggesting musical chairs. We're just expecting the eye test to yield that this is an experiment going no where and that there are other options to try before going back to forcing this one.

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
yeah, agreed. MT should switch linemates every shift until one line score...

no time to waste!! :nod:

I said from the beginning that Gio and Vanek doesn't work together. It should have never happened. Better switch now than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad