Speculation: New Numbers

May 27, 2012
Earth
I'd like to see Gaudreau wear #13, Bennett #39, and David Jones switch to #19 (or is he special and gets to keep #54?)

PS. Can someone e-mail/tweet Calgaryflames.com and ask them to remove Blair Jones (PHI), Ben Street (COL), and Christopher Breen (BOS) from "In the System". Thanks.

This is an outrage!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would be more concerned about Colborne being missing from the roster

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
It sucks when your favorite number is taken by Bollig. I really wanted Reinhart to wear 25 if he made the team.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Yoshi....

Well I mean I guess they are in arbitration right now.

th

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If it hasn't been posted yet, Smid has switched his number to #15 and D. Jones will be wearing #19.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Does this really have anything to do with Burke? Hiller always wore 1, same with Raymond (21), and Bart and Spoon are now wearing their respective junior numbers.

Gilmour will prob give Bennett his blessing to use #39 or stick with #93

Last edited:

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
I didn't think any of the free agent numbers had to do with Burke not the Baertchi or Wotherspoon changes, I thought they personally chose to change but now with D.jones and Smid also switching I think those two definitley have Burke written all over it

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I didn't think any of the free agent numbers had to do with Burke not the Baertchi or Wotherspoon changes, I thought they personally chose to change but now with D.jones and Smid also switching I think those two definitley have Burke written all over it

But Smid's number increased, meaning he got about 5x as cocky and selfish as he was before at #3. Explain that.

As an alternate explanation, both #19 and #15 were taken when DJones and Smid came on board. DJones also didn't wear 19 in Colorado, but of course that was Joe Sakic's old number. 5+4=9, so maybe that is his preferred number with 19 as second best.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012

Smid wore #5 before he came to Calgary, But it was taken by Giordano. Now that Westgarth is gone he wants to wear #15 that has a #5 in it. Burke didn't influence Smid to change his number at all. I'm 50-50 about Jones either he really wanted 19, but couldn't get because of Blair. There is also a chance Burke did tell Jones to switch his number because it was too high. What do you guys think?

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
But Smid's number increased, meaning he got about 5x as cocky and selfish as he was before at #3. Explain that.

As an alternate explanation, both #19 and #15 were taken when DJones and Smid came on board. DJones also didn't wear 19 in Colorado, but of course that was Joe Sakic's old number. 5+4=9, so maybe that is his preferred number with 19 as second best.

I think his preferred number is 23 because he wore it at college.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Westgarth was acquired over a month after Smid was acquired, so #15 was available (unless they had changed Nemisz's number to 15, but I do not believe that was the case), #19 was assigned but was in the minors so it would have been easy enough to change Blair Jones's numbers.

The only logical explanations are they are freeing up #3 for Phaneuf and David Jones is trying to channel his inner Sakic/Yzerman :sarcasm:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Westgarth was acquired over a month after Smid was acquired, so #15 was available (unless they had changed Nemisz's number to 15, but I do not believe that was the case), #19 was assigned but was in the minors so it would have been easy enough to change Blair Jones's numbers.

The only logical explanations are they are freeing up #3 for Phaneuf and David Jones is trying to channel his inner Sakic/Yzerman :sarcasm:

When was Jackman traded?

EDIT: Jackman was still on the team when Smid was traded to the Flames.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
I do like Sven wearing 27. I knew he would change it when Smith left. I wish Bennett would have gotten 19 if they won't let him wear 93. Its a classic top centerman # and Sakic is my all time favorite player. Bollig wearing 25 upsets me. It should be an honour to wear it.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
Me too. As you can tell from my user name 26 is my number. I was hoping Granlund would take it but he's not an NHLer yet. Its looking like Wotherspoon is tho.

Lets say Granlund does make the team what number will he wear next year as 26 and 11 are taken? Same with Reinhart?

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Lets say Granlund does make the team what number will he wear next year as 26 and 11 are taken? Same with Reinhart?
Maybe they don't make the team until low number space is created. Wouldn't want to ruin the locker room with selfish players

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If we want a really tight knit group we need to give them even lower numbers.

I am thinking -11, -28, -34. Now those are the numbers of players who are all about 'team' first.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009

I am thinking -11, -28, -34. Now those are the numbers of players who are all about 'team' first.

Yeah, but do we really want to listen to the whining of other teams when Brodie selects -66 and Johnny takes -99

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I do like Sven wearing 27. I knew he would change it when Smith left. I wish Bennett would have gotten 19 if they won't let him wear 93. Its a classic top centerman # and Sakic is my all time favorite player. Bollig wearing 25 upsets me. It should be an honour to wear it.

Such an honour to wear the same number as David Moss. :sarcasm:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Why? Because it was the number of a player who, while under contract, held out on the team and wouldn't play because he wanted more money?

Honour... Heh.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Not close enough. Everyone should have numbers between 0 and 0.35. That'll bond them right up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad