Speculation: New Numbers

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Hey so kind of a lame thread but I was just speculating what numbers the new players would be wearing. Also I expect some players to change their currents numbers with other players leaving. So I'll take a stab at them. Would love to hear ideas from everyone.

Baertschi - 27
Bennett - 93
Bollig - 52
Colborne - 19
Gaudreau - 13
Raymond - 21
Reinhart - 25
Engelland - 55
Hiller - 1

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Hey so kind of a lame thread but I was just speculating what numbers the new players would be wearing. Also I expect some players to change their currents numbers with other players leaving. So I'll take a stab at them. Would love to hear ideas from everyone.

Baertschi - 27
Bennett - 93
Bollig - 52

Colborne - 19
Gaudreau - 13
Raymond - 21
Reinhart - 25
Engelland - 55
Hiller - 1

Didn't Burke already state he wanted to restrict to numbers 1 to 31 or something idiotic like that?

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
All Burke said is until you make it on the team, you will wear the training camp numbers. When you get on the team full time, you can have the number of your choice if it's not already taken.

Something silly like that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
Heads up, #Flames fans. Lower numbers are coming your way. (1/2)

Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
Burke: "We're gonna get back to No. 1 to 35. If that was good enough for the great teams in the '50s, then it's good enough for us.

this was said back in April I think, not sure what the event was. But it was before Treliving and Pascall were hired.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
Heads up, #Flames fans. Lower numbers are coming your way. (1/2)

Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
Burke: "We're gonna get back to No. 1 to 35. If that was good enough for the great teams in the '50s, then it's good enough for us.

this was said back in April I think, not sure what the event was. But it was before Treliving and Pascall were hired.

This is one of the few things I hate about Burke. Who the **** cares what number they wear as long as they give 100% in the Flaming C that is all that should matter.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
This is one of the few things I hate about Burke. Who the **** cares what number they wear as long as they give 100% in the Flaming C that is all that should matter.
I don't get it either. He's making a big deal out of a complete non-issue

You might guess he doesn't want players to think individualism is acceptable. But he's stated multiple times he doesn't care how players wear their hair for example

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Because as president of the team, part of his job is to sell jerseys - and if you have a 47 jersey with Baertschi on the back, you might want to buy one with his new number... :whatever:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Because as president of the team, part of his job is to sell jerseys - and if you have a 47 jersey with Baertschi on the back, you might want to buy one with his new number... :whatever:

We aren't all made of money like Brian Burke is. Just let players keep their damn numbers.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
I know Backlund loved wearing #60 and then they made him change it when he was a full time NHLer. His sister was upset because she had just bought his jersey with the 60 on it. My personal philosophy is to never buy a jersey until they are full time players.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Aaron Vickers @AAVickers

That's rudikulis!

can-i2.jpeg

HAKAN LOOB

Oct 5, 2013
Outside of call-ups, the 1-31 rule was pretty much* in place last season. I don't really see a big deal with it, either. It's not like there are tons of retired numbers that necessitate any high numbers. Besides, the biggest proponent of that rule has 3 Stanley Cups.

*No one really cares about Butler or Galiardi, though Butler was way better than he'll ever get credit for!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I like the 1-35 rule. It promotes team unity and eliminates guys trying to stand out from the team with high numbers. New Jersey has ran their club this way forever and with the championships they have one they won them all playing as a team. But also if its similar to the Devils, players that have worn high numbers regularly in the past can continue to do so.

SickHandsNoShot

May 7, 2012
I like the 1-35 rule. It promotes team unity and eliminates guys trying to stand out from the team with high numbers. New Jersey has ran their club this way forever and with the championships they have one they won them all playing as a team. But also if its similar to the Devils, players that have worn high numbers regularly in the past can continue to do so.

The only problem I have with it is; Say you trade for an established star player, such as Patrick Kane.

Are you really asking him to change his number from 88.
And even if you let him keep it, would it not rub others the wrong way when you told Bennett he couldn't wear his 93?

Seems to me it could just cause animosity.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The only problem I have with it is; Say you trade for an established star player, such as Patrick Kane.

Are you really asking him to change his number from 88.
And even if you let him keep it, would it not rub others the wrong way when you told Bennett he couldn't wear his 93?

Seems to me it could just cause animosity.
Now read the final sentence of my post again.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

If you need everyone to have low jersey numbers to create 'team unity' you have way bigger problem than players wanting to 'stand out' based on their jerseys.

That said, I doubt its a big deal to the players so I doubt this causes any problems.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If you need everyone to have low jersey numbers to create 'team unity' you have way bigger problem than players wanting to 'stand out' based on their jerseys.

That said, I doubt its a big deal to the players so I doubt this causes any problems.
I said promotes, not creates. You need players that will buy into the organizational philosophy, even if that includes jersey numbers.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Yes, because if there is one thing that brings a team together and creates a contender, it's having lower ****ing jersey numbers.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes, because if there is one thing that brings a team together and creates a contender, it's having lower ****ing jersey numbers.
how does this not make sense? If a player is willing to put his number above the team, is it a player we want on this team?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
how does this not make sense? If a player is willing to put his number above the team, is it a player we want on this team?

I don't think players wanting their own numbers is any indication that they are bad apples and should not be on this team. That's a ridiculous insinuation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad