Speculation: New Numbers

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
As mentioned previously I think it promotes less individuality within the room.

But I was reading an old thread from 2013 that was just necro bumped saying that Dallas was doing this with their new management team. One of the posts mentioned a bunch of guys with their old numbers and then their new ones and it made me realize that the low numbers can also be symbolic that they a young player has now made it, a graduation of sorts.

Like when Backlund shed #60 and was given #11, or when Bouma went from #57 to #17, Matt Lombardi going from 49 to 18, Boyd from 41 to 16... etc.

I have been watching the game a long time and I am one of many who see high numbers and automatically think they are "training camp numbers" and I do look forward to seeing a young player "earning" his permanent number.

However I also have no problem if a player wants to "graduate" to a number higher than 35, I do believe that it should be a team assigned number until the player has earned a regular roster spot. I also believe they were too quick to (re)assign low numbers before last season. Knight & Monahan were never given training camp numbers and Horak/Bouma were re-assigned low numbers before camp.

But when it comes to new acquisitions and possible number changes I would like to see:

Sven Baertschi change from 47 to 27 when he makes the team full-time, again he was 27 throughout junior and it would serve as a symbol from Treliving and Burke that he has graduated to being an NHLer.

Johnny Gaudreau change from 53 to 13 when he makes the team full-time, as far as I can tell Johnny Hockey has always worn 13.

David Jones change from 54 to 25. He wore 23 through college and the AHL but was Milan Hejduk's number so Jones never changed away from his training camp number. 23 here is claimed as well, but I think it's time for a fresh number to symbolize a fresh start.

Joe Colborne from 8 to 22. Colborne wore #22 with both the Marlies and Providence Bruins as well as a bit for the Leafs, its obviously a number of choice for him.

Bill Arnold from 46 to 29 when he makes the team full-time. 24 is taken and the only difference is a line across the top of the 4 :sarcasm: but for me it's symbolic, Joel Otto is the player I associate with 29 and the player I would love to see Arnold become.

Tyler Wotherspoon from 56 to 26, he wore it in Portland and with team Canada.

Paul Byron from 32 to 15. I really don't like #32 :laugh: even though it's below 35, I feel like its just not a good number for a forward, I say give him 15 because it's available and is how old he looks :sarcasm:.

Mason Raymond should get #21, it 's the number he has worn all of his NHL career except last season where he wore #12 and that ain't happening here.

Jonas Hiller should get #1, it's the number he had before and a great number for goalies.

Brandon Bollig should get #19. He wore 18 in the USHL and AHL and 81 in college. 19 is a great hockey number and the number of former tough guy Tim Hunter who is the best Flames player to wear it to date.

Deryk Engelland should get #55. He's worn #5 for his entire pro career, so 55 makes sense. However if the Flames are serious about 1-35 numbers, then 8 is the most defenseman like number left (assuming Colborne changes)​

Neat thoughts, AF. I disagree with Byron, because for whatever reason I've always liked the number 32 (yes, even before I heard of Byron). 32 has always been an industrious sort of number for me- in fact, I think that way about pretty much all numbers in the 30s when they're assigned to forwards- and that fits Byron perfectly.

By the way, notable number 32s include Dale Hunter and Stumpy.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Neat thoughts, AF. I disagree with Byron, because for whatever reason I've always liked the number 32 (yes, even before I heard of Byron). 32 has always been an industrious sort of number for me- in fact, I think that way about pretty much all numbers in the 30s when they're assigned to forwards- and that fits Byron perfectly.

By the way, notable number 32s include Dale Hunter and Stumpy.
Yeah dunno why I dislike 32. The 30s for me are:

30: goalie
31: goalie
32: bad number
33: defense/goalie
34: bad number/kipper
35: goalie
36: bad number
37: kidd/irving/bad goalie :sarcasm:
38: bad number
39: forward

I also really don't like the #8, no idea why.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah dunno why I dislike 32. The 30s for me are:

30: goalie
31: goalie
32: bad number
33: defense/goalie
34: bad number/kipper
35: goalie
36: bad number
37: kidd/irving/bad goalie :sarcasm:
38: bad number
39: forward

I also really don't like the #8, no idea why.

Numbers with 8 are my favourite. My choice number is 18, second choice is 38, third choice is 8. :D

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
My number has always been 23, much like another player with the same last name as mine. :)

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Kind of pissed to be honest.. My Baertschi jersey is now outdated..

Burke, really? I'm actually kind of mad, I spent $200 on a jersey and for him to change the jersey numbers just to act more of a "team" is a dick move to the fans.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Honestly, the #47 still looks good to wear around. I know it won't be Sven's number on the ice, but I still think #47 looks sharp.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Burke, really? I'm actually kind of mad, I spent $200 on a jersey and for him to change the jersey numbers just to act more of a "team" is a dick move to the fans.

There's no guarantee that this was Burke's doing. Baertschi probably wasn't married to #47. It was a training camp number.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012

Therapy for TherapyForGlencross

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

I'd blame Derek Smith - he's the one who had #27 when Bart arrived in the first place.

:sarcasm:

Conspiracy theorists take note, Gaudreau is still assigned #53

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
TBH, TFG, having a 47 jersey is actually kind of cool now, he did wear that number before 27, so if anything its a retro Sven jersey, that people for the most part wont have now.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
TBH, TFG, having a 47 jersey is actually kind of cool now, he did wear that number before 27, so if anything its a retro Sven jersey, that people for the most part wont have now.

It's basically a badge that identifies you as part of the truefan club.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB

I think that's how I am going to treat it, especially since my Sven jersey is the Flames alternate/retro jersey. Annoys me a bit though, because Sven said that he was going to keep the #47 when he was first interviewed and asked if he would switch to #27. I think he said he didn't want to change it because a number of fans already got the #47 jersey.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I think that's how I am going to treat it, especially since my Sven jersey is the Flames alternate/retro jersey. Annoys me a bit though, because Sven said that he was going to keep the #47 when he was first interviewed and asked if he would switch to #27. I think he said he didn't want to change it because a number of fans already got the #47 jersey.

Yeah, that's why I think Burke made players change their numbers. I mean, all player numbers are in the twenties or lower...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The really telling thing will be if Bennett is denied his #93. None of those new numbers are cases of stripping a player of the number they love.
Bennett was given 63 for camp. We will know nothing until Bennett is an NHL regular, but since the Flames picked Bennett and he wears 93 after Gilmour, it would be stupid to wear 93 in Calgary because Gilmour wore 39 here :naughty:

also i called 4 of those 6 numbers including the 2 number changes.

Sep 13, 2009
I'd like to see Gaudreau wear #13, Bennett #39, and David Jones switch to #19 (or is he special and gets to keep #54?)

PS. Can someone e-mail/tweet Calgaryflames.com and ask them to remove Blair Jones (PHI), Ben Street (COL), and Christopher Breen (BOS) from "In the System". Thanks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad