Post-Game Talk: New Mr. Clutch in town. Yak with the OT winner!

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I've seen a lot of bad coaching decisions over the past few years, but very few have annoyed me as much as Krueger's affection for Potter.

I said before the season started that playing Potter was an unjustifiable decision. We are now six games into the season, Potter has played bad in every game he has played and Fistric has looked good in both of his games.

Why is Potter playing? He actually got an increase in ice time tonight despite playing a horrifyingly awful game. He had absolutely no business being on the ice in the final minute. I knew we would be scored on as soon as he stepped on the ice.

Kreuger and Potter remind me of Mac T and Toby Peterson

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Supposedly Fistric isn't comfortable on the right side, and Whitney isn't comfortable with his mobility yet to go to his offside.

The coaching staff is trying to get Whitney going, so Fistric sits for someone who is a natural right-sider in the meantime.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Kreuger and Potter remind me of Mac T and Toby Peterson

I think it's almost worse. I don't recall Peterson actually being the direct cause of so many goals against. Potter is a complete liability on the ice, Peterson just sucked at offense.

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
Meh, that call against Gagner was just your typical run of the mill reffing-the-score call. Nothing new there. Weak late calls to help the losing team are nothing new in hockey.

No question there. It sounded better with a conspiracy back story though, no?:sarcasm:

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Oilers are looking very clutch this year. When they are down or the game is tied they seem to be able to come up with a goal and a win either in OT or the shootout. Much different then last year when the club seemed to give up or lose their composure. I remember a few years ago the Oilers power play was awful and they couldn't score on it. The coach would have them practice power plays after every game it seemed. This year the power play looks awesome and they seem to score on most of them. The need to get a few more wins in regulation but as long as they aren't losing I think all Oilers fans are happy. This may be the year we get a playoff spot...

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh my god, he had bad stats to start off the year. This doesn't mean his season is going to remain that way, stop making it out to be an exact science. Bottom line is that he's the GUY in Phoenix. Same guy that did well in the playoffs last year.

It's not like the goaltending was lit up this game, however. Unless you're figuring that Smith was a shoo-in shutout.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Huh, Yak said that Horcoff was encouraging him to look for his shot more (actually thanked him in the post game haha).

I had a feeling Yak may have been deferring a bit just as a slightly wide eyed rookie.

coolwasabi

Dec 18, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
My thoughts:

- Dubnyk was excellent. Best Oiler.
- 2nd best was Petrell. Excellent drive tonight.
- Most other players were a bit off tonight. Maybe due to the bad ice. Maybe due to the admittedly solid defensive coverage by the Coyotes.
- Hemsky had a bad game imo. Did not utilize his teammates enough.
- The top line had perhaps their worst game. They weren't making good passes.
- J.Schultz had some stick work but also a few glaring giveaways.
- Potter was bad. The 2 broken stick shots were bad luck, but his numerous giveaways were bad decisions. I'm not going to throw him under the bus like most here are - because he had a nice run last year and is still a good depth dman - but I think it's time to give Fistric a crack at a permanent roster spot.

- Shane Doan is a *****. I hope Horcoff is okay.
- Derek Morris is a poor loser. R.Whitney must've chirped him good ;)
- The Coyotes' announcers are hilariously bad. They were criticizing Nail's normal celebration.

- Good win. Onto the next one.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
So is Cory Potter's defensive partner Manti Te'o's girlfriend's sister? Sure seemed to be passing to someone only he could see today. I noticed him out there so much tonight, and not in a good way obviously.

Good win, but still not one that instills a ton of confidence.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Listen to the Phoenix announcers. No wonder there was so much confusion going on as to whether it was the celly or something to do with Whitney.

.... if the youtube video doesn't work..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFAW8oOmEmU&feature=player_embedded#!

Morris cross checks Whitney in the back + hits him in the ***** with his stick + waves the stick pretty close to Whitney's face + skates in behind the goal where mr unsustainable 2 is waiting + Morris is indicating a hand pass (clearly not) = Whitney gets a pissed and gives Morris a push and some words behind the net => scrum...

The good = Yakupov.
The bad (in a Lee van Cleef sort of way, far fetched but anyway...) = Whitney.
The ugly, dirty and stupid = Morris.

At least that's my take on it after watching one time. Could be wrong.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Haven't read the whole thread yet. Has anyone given Gags his much deserved props? I thought he had another very solid game and was winning puck battles in some key situations. I really like how his game is evolving this year.

I think he is coming into his own finally. Nice to see.

Metalcommand

Mar 3, 2010
Congrats on the win guys! Got a real gem in your hand with Yakupov. Was funny how now he celebrated made sure he don't move an inch into any direction and calls the teammates into him. And at first no one even rush him they probably excepted him to fly to the moon or something equal :D

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
CP is currently on page 23 of them whining about Yak's celebration from the LA GAME :laugh::laugh:
The Flames are currently 28th overall. I know they probably won't finish that low but you'd think that might be a bigger issue at CP...

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
Tyson Nash, Is a complete moron......If you see the highlights on NHL.com (Coyotes feed) he was not happy with Yakupov's celebration at the end of the game, WTF??? He hardly celebrated......

Thinks that is why Morris was in there causing the scrum, and fight.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
We finally get the calls!

A few non-calls in the 3rd and ultimately a miss on the game winner for the hand pass. Should not have counted but I'll take it.

What hand pass? This isnt soccer, it's ok if the puck deflects off your glove to someone.

I like that we are winning even if we dont look good, so many times the last few years we had to take solace in the fact the team looked great but were losing.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Wow, what a snooze fest - I can understand why the arena is half empty. Anyways, any win on the road is a good win. I think we need to do a little juggling of our lines though, our top two lines have no grit or board work and it's hurting them.

-Dubnyk continues his jekyl and hyde showings, and played well today. If he could play like this consistently, I'd be happy.
-I'm really impressed with Gagner so far this year. Battling hard and playing noticeable. The call on him at the end of the game was garbage.
-Smyth & Petrell played great games. I'd like to look at moving Petrell up with Gagner & Yakupov to provide some grit and physical play.
-Potter was below average, but not to the extent he's being portrayed in this thread IMO. I imagine with the team playing back-to-back games, Fistric is in against the Sharks.
-RNH has not looked good at all so far this season IMO. Looks lost offensively, hopefully he can turn it around soon.
-J. Schultz with no points, but looked very solid again today.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Tyson Nash, Is a complete moron......If you see the highlights on NHL.com (Coyotes feed) he was not happy with Yakupov's celebration at the end of the game, WTF??? He hardly celebrated......

Thinks that is why Morris was in there causing the scrum, and fight.

Maybe he was joking?

As for the game, thought Smyth played his best game of the year. Yes, that shouldn't have been hard considering how he played so far, but he looked faster and got in deep on time last night.

Dubnyk had a real good game, but WTF is with him going behind the net, not getting the puck, and then taking his sweet ass time to get back? Saw that a few times this year and it's as if he heard a whistle or something.

J.Schultz sure is getting a lot of praise, a little too much. Making him sound like an elite defensive d-man to go along with his offensive skills. Yes he makes good plays in his own zone, but he makes just as many bad ones. Don't get me wrong he is far better then I expected, but this is getting worse than the year where everyone had to ask Penner about his barely soup diet.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I dunno, JSchultz had some great defensive stick work and hustle plays last night. Thought it might be his best game defensively.

Doan confirmed they thought it was a hand pass

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
Also, I don't exactly know where to put this, so, while we bask in Yakupov's glory...
MeKypCG.jpg

That is freakin' awesome :yo:

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
lol @ "hand pass"... you really have to know absolutely nothing about hockey to think for a moment that would be a hand pass. I mean we all know Phoenix isn't exactly a hockey mecca but c'mon people... learn the basic rules of the game. Some of the stupid seems to be rubbing off on their players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad