Post-Game Talk: New Mr. Clutch in town. Yak with the OT winner!

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
One of the dirtiest star players in NHL history awarding an award to a dirty player? Umpossible!

Also think someone is mistaking "dirty player" for "player who can't play hockey". Doan is a decent player(not great) with a history of suspensions and iffy behavior.

Just the way it is.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Anyone have Yakupov's interview with Gene after the game?
I didn't get a chance to see it.

Even if you PVR'd it and can record it with your cell phone and post it that'd be fine :).

Thanks
It was just your typical (embarrassing) Gene stuff. "How did you like [insert asinine question here]?" Poor Yakupov graciously tried to answer the questions and finished with his usual "thanks to my teammates" "thanks for drafting me" stuff.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
As for the Messier award, Moose wasn't exactly the cleanest player in the history of the game.

My opinion on Doan is cemented, dude's a clown on the ice.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
As for the Messier award, Moose wasn't exactly the cleanest player in the history of the game.

No, but he is one of the greatest players of all time and understands what it takes to win.

I'm sure he sees a bit of himself in Shane Doan, and that's why he chose to engrave Doan's name on this prestigious piece of hardware.

Recognition from your piers, and one of the greatest players of all time, is more important than message board fluff.

My opinion on Doan is cemented, dude's a clown on the ice.

It was an interference minor. Whoop-de-doo. It wasn't a check from behind, and there was no head contact. There is nothing for the league to review, and there is no basis for a suspension. The best view of it is at 0:50 of the following video:

Now, there is no doubt that Horcoff didn't see it coming, and that aggravated things a bit. Perhaps Horcoff should have his head on a swivel next time he plays Doan.

Doan is a tank out there, and physically demolished Horcoff, even though I don't think Doan was even trying to.

Sam Gagner's hit on Schlemko at 0:44 of the clip was even worse by the way, and was also interference. Could have injured the player seriously, but I don't see any complaining about that.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
No, but he is one of the greatest players of all time and understands what it takes to win.

I'm sure he sees a bit of himself in Shane Doan, and that's why he chose to engrave Doan's name on this prestigious piece of hardware.

Recognition from your piers, and one of the greatest players of all time, is more important than message board fluff.

It was an interference minor. Whoop-de-doo. It wasn't a check from behind, and there was no head contact. There is nothing for the league to review, and there is no basis for a suspension. The best view of it is at 0:50 of the following video:

I didn't form my opinion on one hit bud.
I made my point in my post a little while ago, few pages back.
Doan is a rookie poacher, I saw him take a run at Yaks in the first and he's been known to do it before. I don't know if he thinks its a right of passage or some dumb **** like that, but he did it to Cam Fowler, except he injured him and put him out for several weeks.
But hey, like you said, whatever it takes to win, like running an 18 year old kid's head through the boards.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010

Now, there is no doubt that Horcoff didn't see it coming, and that aggravated things a bit. Perhaps Horcoff should have his head on a swivel next time he plays Doan.

Doan is a tank out there, and physically demolished Horcoff, even though I don't think Doan was even trying to.

Sam Gagner's hit on Schlemko at 0:44 of the clip was even worse by the way, and was also interference. Could have injured the player seriously, but I don't see any complaining about that.

How is Horcoff supposed to keep his head on a swivel when he's getting hit from behind?

Look, I like rough hockey and I like physical guys who play on the edge. I like Doan for the same reasons you've pointed out (but you're being a little bro-y about it).

Doesn't change the fact, though, that if you go to far and cross the line, you should be punished for it. Doan plays on the edge, and that makes him effective, but he slipped off that edge last night and if the NHL wasn't so incompetent, he'd be suspended for it.

BTW, Mess took several suspensions along the way. It comes with the territory.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
How is Horcoff supposed to keep his head on a swivel when he's getting hit from behind?

Look, I like rough hockey and I like physical guys who play on the edge. I like Doan for the same reasons you've pointed out (but you're being a little bro-y about it).

Doesn't change the fact, though, that if you go to far and cross the line, you should be punished for it. Doan plays on the edge, and that makes him effective, but he slipped off that edge last night and if the NHL wasn't so incompetent, he'd be suspended for it.

BTW, Mess took several suspensions along the way. It comes with the territory.

Definitely suspension worthy.

Course the NHL wont suspend their captain.

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
why would the NHL suspend their own player...or fine him, since they would technically be paying for that too

anywayw classless yak

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
Ryan Whitney says he wanted to throw back at Morris last night, but "Nail was hugging my arms. Maybe he wanted me to get punched."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->