Post-Game Talk: New Mr. Clutch in town. Yak with the OT winner!

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
When I saw the puck bounce into the air and Yakupov standing in position to bat it in, I was thinking in my head "no way he can do it again".. and booooom he does it again. Oilers should have Yaks stand there all the time and lob passes into the air or look for rebounds for him to bat a few more in :)

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Smyth is doing fine.

Hes not a young guy any longer. He isnt going to carry this team on his back, but if the coach can keep his icetime down, when it really counts he can be there to make the difference.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
When I saw the puck bounce into the air and Yakupov standing in position to bat it in, I was thinking in my head "no way he can do it again".. and booooom he does it again. Oilers should have Yaks stand there all the time and lob passes into the air or look for rebounds for him to bat a few more in :)

unsustainable batting percentage

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
With Doans suspension history I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned it. A few musings on twitter but that's about it, if Horcoff has a concussion there should definitely be disciplinary action on a hit from behind.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I hope my boy Ben Eager is ready to rock on saturday, free reign, just grab OEL and kick his ass all over the ice, you take out our high priced players we take out your stars.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I hope my boy Ben Eager is ready to rock on saturday, free reign, just grab OEL and kick his ass all over the ice, you take out our high priced players we take out your stars.

We play the Avs on Saturday.

Slatsmsg

Jul 14, 2011
Airdrie
interference
from behind
unsuspecting player
significant injury
from a player with a suspension history

I disagree.

This. Definitely worthy of suspension. Furthermore, I do believe in the eye for an eye under these circumstances. Mr. Doan better have his head on a swivel next time they play or it may end up on a platter.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
This. Definitely worthy of suspension. Furthermore, I do believe in the eye for an eye under these circumstances. Mr. Doan better have his head on a swivel next time they play or it may end up on a platter.

I certainly wouldn't be upset if OEL had to walk (or be helped) down the tunnel at some point next time we meet.

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
Anyone have Yakupov's interview with Gene after the game?
I didn't get a chance to see it.

Even if you PVR'd it and can record it with your cell phone and post it that'd be fine :).

Thanks

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Last year:

Doan- 22 goals and 50 points
Smyth- 19 goals and 46 points

I'd say its pretty close. And Smyth is his equal in intangibles, even if Doan is more physical.

I agree with what you're saying in general about Doan... But I'm just tired of the ridiculous pile-on Smyth is getting on this board. He's still a solid depth player for us. You'd think he was ECHL calibre going by this board.

They're nowhere close to being equal in the toughness department, and Doan is better offensively. Both Smyth and Horcoff would get their ass kicked by Doan so bad it is just laughable.

When we played LA, posters on this board were predicting LA's big tough forwards would run us out of the rink. When PHX plays LA, Doan totally dominates them physically:

As I said, he would look awfully good in our top six.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
They're nowhere close to being equal in the toughness department, and Doan is better offensively. Both Smyth and Horcoff would get their ass kicked by Doan so bad it is just laughable.

When we played LA, posters on this board were predicting LA's big tough forwards would run us out of the rink. When PHX plays LA, Doan totally dominates them physically:

As I said, he would look awfully good in our top six.

I guess it's a good thing for LA, that games aren't settled by fist fights.

Doan sure dominated LA last spring:

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I guess it's a good thing for LA, that games aren't settled by fist fights.

Doan sure dominated LA last spring:

He was one of the best players in that series, while Horcoff and Smyth were watching from the golf course, which has been the pattern here for years now.

I like the player. He won the Mark Messier Award last year, lead his team to the final four, and generally kicked ass the whole way.

Next time we play the Coyotes, maybe somebody from our team should challenge him. Nobody did a thing last night ...

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
He was one of the best players in that series, while Horcoff and Smyth were watching from the golf course, which has been the pattern here for years now.

I like the player. He won the Mark Messier Award last year, lead his team to the final four, and generally kicked ass the whole way.

Next time we play the Coyotes, maybe somebody from our team should challenge him. Nobody did a thing last night ...

Well as long as the coaching staff has their heads up their ***** and keep dressing guys like Corey Potter over guys like Fistric they're not going to have people on the ice who can bring that element.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010

You seem to be confusing the NHL with the UFC. No one's going to argue that Doan isn't a better fighter than Smyth.

And don't go back to the, 'made playoffs' well for a guy that was 35 before he saw the second round of the playoffs.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Well as long as the coaching staff has their heads up their ***** and keep dressing guys like Corey Potter over guys like Fistric they're not going to have people on the ice who can bring that element.

You're right. Here's how real leaders stick up for teammates:

If Doan was "dirty", which has been repeatedly posted in this thread, he could have continued pounding on Dustin Brown after once again ragdolling him to the ice.

I just looked on the Wikipedia page for "The Mark Messier Leadership Award" and found this:

The Mark Messier Leadership Award is a National Hockey League (NHL) award that recognizes an individual as a superior leader within their sport, and as a contributing member of society. The award is given to a player selected by Mark Messier to honor an individual who leads by positive example through on-ice performance, motivation of team members and a dedication to community activities and charitable causes.​

Didn't realize it is Messier himself who selects the winner. I think I'll take his opinion of Doan over the nonsense being posted in this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad