Post-Game Talk: New Mr. Clutch in town. Yak with the OT winner!

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
We finally get the calls!

A few non-calls in the 3rd and ultimately a miss on the game winner for the hand pass. Should not have counted but I'll take it.

The Oilers still had several bunk calls on them, I don't know what you're talking about. The first penalty on Gagner, and the end of the 3rd penalty on Gagner, both come to mind. Just because we ultimately won the game doesn't mean the refs were on our side in any way.

I have watched the replay several times, and I have no idea where people are seeing this phantom hand pass.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I dunno, JSchultz had some great defensive stick work and hustle plays last night. Thought it might be his best game defensively.

Doan confirmed they thought it was a hand pass

Agreed on Schultz, he is looking better and better every game.

And if the Yotes think that was a handpass they need to re-read the rules book. A puck deflecting off a hand is fine, so long as it isn't directed.

Also, not to dig into Yotes fans that I am sure are upset about the very real possibility of relocation, it is easy to see why they never got the fan support required to make the team financially viable given their playing style. They are definitely following in the old Habs/Devils/Wild "boring but effective" footsteps.

SchultzSquared*

And if the Yotes think that was a handpass they need to re-read the rules book. A puck deflecting off a hand is fine, so long as it isn't directed.

I would may be some argument if his hand was free in the air... but pretty sure had both mitts on his stick during that sequence... how do you hand-pass a puck when you're in position playing the right way and looking at the goalie for a rebound...

Turrican*

Yes.

Coyotes think that hand pass = puck bouncing off someones glove.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Shane Doan is cemented in my opinion as a monumental ****** nozzle.
He's a regular rookie poacher (took a run at Yaks in 1st, and has a history... see his hit on Cam Fowler)
He pastes Horcoff right in the numbers on a nothing play, while the ref has his hand up, and neither of them have the puck. Horcs is arguably one of the games most sportsmanlike players.
All the incessant whining over moving out of Phoenix and pouting about losses.
I don't get how anybody likes this guy.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Yeah Shane Doan is shady. I hope that embarrassment of a franchise gets relocated, and then I would get to hear Doan cry.

In general that team deserves to play infront of a better crowd, even if they play boring hockey.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He's a regular rookie poacher (took a run at Yaks in 1st, and has a history... see his hit on Cam Fowler)
He pastes Horcoff right in the numbers on a nothing play, while the ref has his hand up, and neither of them have the puck. Horcs is arguably one of the games most sportsmanlike players.

I don't understand why the media constantly brands him as classy.

He continually dishes out cheap shots, some of which he gets suspended for, pretends he's some kind of superstar going on FA tours through Philly, Buffalo, Montreal, etc, and whines at a level that would shame even some Canucks.

The guy is garbage.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I don't understand why the media constantly brands him as classy.

He continually dishes out cheap shots, some of which he gets suspended for, pretends he's some kind of superstar going on FA tours through Philly, Buffalo, Montreal, etc, and whines at a level that would shame even some Canucks.

The guy is garbage.

Because he's Canadian, old and he plays hard.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada

Im not a PHX fan but I have lots of respect for Doan. Im thinking he doesn''t respect Yakupov for the celly, so it may have enticed him. He seems like that type of player. Bad hits, maybe yes, I will not defend that. For the most part I think he is usually clean/plays on the edge and will back himself up if someone has a problem with him. I respect how he chose to stay in PHX when he ccould have left. Also there was a story a few years back where the arena staff took a benefits cut. Doan footed the bill for all of the benefits for these guys.. No one knew until the story was leaked years later.
Guy is a good leader, wears his heart on his sleave. I don't like PHX, hate them to be more specific, but I will always have respect for Doan.

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
I think Doan is a dirty player. Never like him, not even in a Canada jersey.

Say what you want about Horc (and I sadly do because of his contract), but he's a classy guy. No need for a dirty hit.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Im not a PHX fan but I have lots of respect for Doan. Im thinking he doesn''t respect Yakupov for the celly, so it may have enticed him. He seems like that type of player. Bad hits, maybe yes, I will not defend that. For the most part I think he is usually clean/plays on the edge and will back himself up if someone has a problem with him. I respect how he chose to stay in PHX when he ccould have left. Also there was a story a few years back where the arena staff took a benefits cut. Doan footed the bill for all of the benefits for these guys.. No one knew until the story was leaked years later.
Guy is a good leader, wears his heart on his sleave. I don't like PHX, hate them to be more specific, but I will always have respect for Doan.

Doan is more or less a good guy. He's a dirty hockey player though.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

He most definately is that.

I remember when he smashed an Oiler rookie in the face during a preseason game a quite a few years back for virtually no reason what-so-ever, and got himself suspended.

He played it off as one time thing, that he was a good christian boy who didn't do things like that, but a career of borderline hits and questionable behavior resulting from tantrums show otherwise.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Disagree with the remarks about Shane Doan. He is exactly what we need on this team as a veteran presence, rather than Smyth or Horcoff. The guy hits and is good enough to play top six minutes. Far better player than any of our veterans, and it isn't close. Rishaug compared him to a "cement truck" this morning, and he does have a nasty streak in him. We have Fistric on our team, who plays this way as well.

Perhaps we should start using him, instead of putting a soft line-up on the ice night after night.

Oiler fans in this thread are whining and complaining about Doan far more than Doan complains about anything. At most, his levelling of Horcoff last night was a 2 minute interference minor. The referees didn't even see it as that serious. The league may review it for contact to the head (I don't see it on the replay), and if there was, he'll be suspended.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I hate Phoenix and their whiny team...from Doan to Mike Smith to Morris crying last night
That city doesn't deserve a team when they need Oiler fans to fill up that building

lol @ cheapshot Doan signing there last September only to see that franchise end up elsewhere like Quebec City

I also hate their boring style of play

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

I am really hoping that if the Yotes move, it is to QC. I'd love to see Doan whine about that. He is most certainly a dirty player.

Knowing him though, he'd probably just retire, or try somehow to get the law involved to void his contract.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Disagree with the remarks about Shane Doan. He is exactly what we need on this team as a veteran presence, rather than Smyth or Horcoff. The guy hits and is good enough to play top six minutes. Far better player than any of our veterans, and it isn't close. Rishaug compared him to a "cement truck" this morning, and he does have a nasty streak in him. We have Fistric on our team, who plays this way as well.

Perhaps we should start using him, instead of putting a soft line-up on the ice night after night.

Oiler fans in this thread are whining and complaining about Doan far more than Doan complains about anything. At most, his levelling of Horcoff last night was a 2 minute interference minor. The referees didn't even see it as that serious. The league may review it for contact to the head (I don't see it on the replay), and if there was, he'll be suspended.

Gotta agree with this, sometimes Doan does come off as a bit of a whiner but the guy hates to lose and plays a tough game. I will always be a fan of Doan and we need more players like him in our lineup imo.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

So because the Oilers could use him, it excuses his penchant for dangerous hits and petulant behavior?

I would also dispute the Oiler's need for a canadian hockey player who wants nothing to do with playing hockey in canada.

Harley

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Doan just needs a good old fashioned on ice beat down. Tool has become one of the leagues cheapest hitters. Constantly circles around trying to blow up unsuspecting players and seems to have no problem dishing out head shots. One of those players that has become dirtier and more bitter as his career has progressed. And the biggest reason he stayed in the south to play hockey is because that is where his game has been headed. Hope I get to see him destroyed in a few more fights before he retires.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
My thoughts:

- Dubnyk was excellent. Best Oiler.
- 2nd best was Petrell. Excellent drive tonight.
- Most other players were a bit off tonight. Maybe due to the bad ice. Maybe due to the admittedly solid defensive coverage by the Coyotes.
- Hemsky had a bad game imo. Did not utilize his teammates enough.
- The top line had perhaps their worst game. They weren't making good passes.
- J.Schultz had some stick work but also a few glaring giveaways.
- Potter was bad. The 2 broken stick shots were bad luck, but his numerous giveaways were bad decisions. I'm not going to throw him under the bus like most here are - because he had a nice run last year and is still a good depth dman - but I think it's time to give Fistric a crack at a permanent roster spot.

- Shane Doan is a *****. I hope Horcoff is okay.
- Derek Morris is a poor loser. R.Whitney must've chirped him good ;)
- The Coyotes' announcers are hilariously bad. They were criticizing Nail's normal celebration.

- Good win. Onto the next one.

I'm not sure what game you were watching. Hemsky and Gagner had excellent games at both ends of the ice.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
steve kelly > doan

hes just bitter we didnt take him 20 years ago, it cause the brass knew he was a dirty dirty french hating *******

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010

Last year:

Doan- 22 goals and 50 points
Smyth- 19 goals and 46 points

I'd say its pretty close. And Smyth is his equal in intangibles, even if Doan is more physical.

I agree with what you're saying in general about Doan... But I'm just tired of the ridiculous pile-on Smyth is getting on this board. He's still a solid depth player for us. You'd think he was ECHL calibre going by this board.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Darren R Pang ‏@Panger40
Yak celly gets attention of vet Derek Morris. Mo didnt like the wave of the hands after goal. Took exception after whistle. #Elephants

Dan O'Toole ‏@tsnotoole
@Panger40 So if I have this right, only acceptable goal celebration in NHL is to put hands at your sides and then feel shame.

:lol:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Last year:

Doan- 22 goals and 50 points
Smyth- 19 goals and 46 points

I'd say its pretty close. And Smyth is his equal in intangibles, even if Doan is more physical.

I agree with what you're saying in general about Doan... But I'm just tired of the ridiculous pile-on Smyth is getting on this board. He's still a solid depth player for us. You'd think he was ECHL calibre going by this board.

It's a ****ing joke. I would bet nearly, if not every team in the league would take him on their roster at his salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->