Speculation: New Morgan Rielly Discussion (no longer a fringe movement)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Remember when GM Leafs Cliff Fletcher traded franchise favourite and #1OA pick Wendel Clark for a young and promising Mats Sundin ?

June 28, 1994 is the anniversary of one of the most remarkable trades in Toronto Maple Leafs history. It was the trade that sent Maple Leafs captain and fan-favorite Wendel Clark for a young Swedish center iceman named Mats Sundin... When the trade was made, the hockey world was shocked. First, it happened on the NHL draft floor. Second, it was a blockbuster. When it was announced, the crowd on the floor gasped. The Maple Leafs traded Clark, Sylvain Lefebvre, Landon Wilson, and the 22nd overall pick in the 1994 NHL Entry Draft to the Nordiques. In return, they got Sundin, Garth Butcher, Todd Wariner, and the 10th overall pick in the draft. Wendel Clark was an Icon in Toronto and the most popular Leaf player since Darryl Sittler.

or

How about when Cliff Fletcher "the Silver Fox" also traded recent 50 goal man Gary Leeman for Doug Gilmour in a 10 player blockbuster?

On Jan. 2, 1992, the Flames traded Doug Gilmour, Ric Nattress, Kent Manderville, Jamie Macoun and Rick Wamsley, and Toronto sent Gary Leeman, Craig Berube, Alexander Godynyuk, Michel Petit and Jeff Reese the other way. & then another the deal ended up happening where Grant Fuhr and Glenn Anderson came to Toronto, Leafs traded Vinny Damphousse and Luke Richardson, two young, former first-round high picks.

Both Gilmour and Sundin went on to become legends in Toronto and both lead the Leafs deep into the playoffs and final 4 on multiple occasions. That is the kind of GM the Leafs need again that would do anything in an attempt to win the Stanley Cup.

Can you imagine current management even trading a player like Rielly or Nylander if it made the Leafs better and their Cup odds increased?

I think Nylander is pushing his stardom to new heights and I love to see it part of the Leafs championship pursuit. Rielly isn’t quite on that level so there would be more room to debate what the Rielly as DeRozan deal could look like. Question is who would Kawhi be?

Sep 18, 2009
I think Nylander is pushing his stardom to new heights and I love to see it part of the Leafs championship pursuit. Rielly isn’t quite on that level so there would be more room to debate what the Rielly as DeRozan deal could look like. Question is who would Kawhi be?
Norman Powell

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario

It would have had to have been before they signed the extension. Dubas and the whole Leafs organization would lose credibility among agents and players if he traded Mo this quick after signing him to 8 year extension. So that's out.

It would have to be Nylander on the block if you are looking for that type of player for player blockbuster. I think the answer to that is Nylander (6.9m ufa 2024) for Hellebuyck (6.1m ufa 2024)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad