Speculation: New Morgan Rielly Discussion (no longer a fringe movement)

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
It's been going on for a while. Many fringe fans didn't like Rielly on the PP. Why? Doesn't have good enough shot, hits shin pads, gives the puck away, etc. Then when Rielly missed weeks due to injury they started again: they should take him off the PP when he returns, trade him, etc. I am paraphrasing I know, but I think a few people know what I'm talking about. It's a loud minority posting a lot of this.

So here's a new thread on the topic and an opportunity to sound off.

I am a Rielly fan. I know he's not as good as some of the other D in the league, but I never post anything negative about him. He's not having as good as season as the past, but you could say that about Matthews too.

I don't know. I guess I just don't understand how this fringe movement got started. Are Leaf fans just comparing him to Giordano?

What gives?

What's there to hate about Morgan Rielly?

Last edited:

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
It's been going on for a while. Many fringe fans didn't like Rielly on the PP. Why? Doesn't have good enough shot, hits shin pads, gives the puck away, etc. Then when Rielly missed weeks due to injury they started again: they should take him off the PP when he returns, trade him, etc. I am paraphrasing I know, but I think a few people know what I'm talking about. It's a loud minority posting a lot of this.

I am a Rielly fan. I know he's not as good as some of the other D in the league, but I never post anything negative about him. He's not having as good as season as the past, but you could say that about Matthews too.

I don't know. I guess I just don't understand how this fringe movement got started. Are Leaf fans just comparing him to Giordano?

What gives?

It's kind of the Kaberle 2.0 hot takes. Mad about what is not part of his game instead of liking what he does really well.
I'm guilty of wanting him to let the occasional clapper go, or make a big hit, but it's not really his game. He still shoots more than Kaberle ever did. To this day Rielly still impresses me with his puck movement and skating with the puck.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The winning and defensive play of the team without him took on a life of its own. Last night's results (both the team's and his own) likely put things over the top. A better #1D will probably either cost more or be signed for far lesser of a time. The team might gain on defence but lose on offence with such an addition. Different people will ultimately have different opinions.

Last edited:

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I think people lose their minds when they see Rielly making bonehead plays that he should have gotten out of his game while he was in his early 20s. This team is finally playing like a cohesive defensive unit and the egregious errors were lessened when Mo was on IR.

First game back he's back in hero mode, pinching and turning the puck over. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say, take off the cape and make the safe smart play more often. We didn't need him making Karlsson/Makar plays over the past two months, it just doesn't fit the style any longer.

can't do that.gif

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think people lose their minds when they see Rielly making bonehead plays that he should have gotten out of his game while he was in his early 20s. This team is finally playing like a cohesive defensive unit and the egregious errors were lessened when Mo was on IR.

First game back he's back in hero mode, pinching and turning the puck over. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say, take off the cape and make the safe smart play more often. We didn't need him making Karlsson/Makar plays over the past two months, it just doesn't fit the style any longer.

View attachment 628238

Earlier on his career, I said Rielly needed to find a way to make those off speed plays and really learn to control the tempo of a game from the back end. With old Gio you can still see that command of the game, but too often Rielly defaults to forcing plays with his athleticism rather than with control. He's a quality player, but he's very flawed too.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The winning and defensive play of the team without him took on a life of its own. Last night's results (the team and his own) likely put things over the top. A better #1D will probably either cost more or be signed for far lesser of a time. The team might gain on defence but lose on offence. Different people will have different opinions.

Rielly being injured and the team suddenly winning is a mere coincidence and has more to do with the goaltending. The teams defensive play and goaltending really hasn’t been great in the last 3/4 games. We were lucky to escape with wins in the last little stretch.

Every season ppl will find someone to hate, kind of a joke. Last season it was Holl, years before that it was Hyman and Nylander. Before that it was Kadri. Now it’s Rielly. This is a team sport 1 person isn’t that detrimental in hockey.

How about our top 6 scoring completely disappearing again. Is that also Rielly’s fault?

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
If we were down a goal and Reilly gambled a bit and lost, I would have been OK with it. Last night, however, we were tied, late in the 3rd, and on the road -- there was NO reason to gamble like that. Like I said in the other thread; he gets a mulligan for being rusty coming off an injury.

Im not a Reilly hater but the truth is he's mediocre in his own end and very good in the offensive zone. I know for a while, the guy was like a sacred cow, but if you're being honest, you can see he's got some unignorable flaws in parts of his game. He's still a very good player, though.

Reactions: Lauro and Optimist

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Rielly being injured and the team suddenly winning is a mere coincidence and has more to do with the goaltending. The teams defensive play and goaltending really hasn’t been great in the last 3/4 games. We were lucky to escape with wins in the last little stretch.

Every season ppl will find someone to hate, kind of a joke. Last season it was Holl, years before that it was Hyman and Nylander. Before that it was Kadri. Now it’s Rielly. This is a team sport 1 person isn’t that detrimental in hockey.

How about our top 6 scoring completely disappearing again. Is that also Rielly’s fault?
Completely agreed.

Reactions: francis246

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Just ignore the people who say he's shit. They said our PP would be much better without him. We've seen that to not be true at all. Use a hot streak that we see every year at this time as a reason why we're a better team without him when we had this same kind of hot streak with him, and you can argue with worse goaltending as well. Truth is our goalies are starting to come back down to earth and aren't making those huge saves like they were and I think some of the guys on D are starting to get worn out, especially Gio with the amount of injuries and ice time they've had to eat up during this last month. The one game Rielly came back our top 6 looked like shit too but a lot of them will always look for someone else to be a scapegoat and Rielly is that person to them.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Rielly is a guy that always seems to elevate his game in the post-season and that's ultimately all that matters this year, so as long as he brings it come April I'm happy.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

What gives?

Why are you characterizing people who don't align to your beliefs as fringe fans? Except for one season I've never really been all that impressed with Rielly's game. Happy to have him but wouldn't be upset to see him go. Yet my man cave has Leaf collectables from wall to wall, I've watched 80% of their games over the last 40 years and I suspect you think because I don't pray at the alter of Morgan I'm a fringe fan?

Morgan's game aligns between poor to very good, you never quite know what you are going to get from him.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Why are you characterizing people who don't align to your beliefs as fringe fans? Except for one season I've never really been all that impressed with Rielly's game. Happy to have him but wouldn't be upset to see him go. Yet my man cave has Leaf collectables from wall to wall, I've watched 80% of their games over the last 40 years and I suspect you think because I don't pray at the alter of Morgan I'm a fringe fan?

Morgan's game aligns between poor to very good, you never quite know what you are going to get from him.
I'm not.

Fringe is defined "outer edges". I am describing a minority movement. It has nothing to do with how many collectables people have.

Fringe can be the beginning of something bigger. Perhaps this group of leaf fans influence many. Then it becomes "a wave of leaf fans".

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not.

Fringe is defined "outer edges". I am describing a minority movement. It has nothing to do with how many collectables people have.

Fringe can be the beginning of something bigger. Perhaps this group of leaf fans influence many. Then it becomes "a wave of leaf fans".

It doesn't improve the quality of the hockey conversation to use those terms, TBH. Like 99.9% of the league, Rielly isn't a perfect player and people will have comments.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I really liked Ian Turnbull.

Thought he could have been part of a great pairing with Salming.

I'd put Rielly in the Turnbull category, not Salming category.

If Rielly had more of the Turnbull grit it would elevate his game.

Rielly is sort of the hockey reincarnation of Bryan Berard. Offensive minded defenseman with excellent skating who was a little bit loose on the structure side, though Berard was still putting it together at 22-23 when he suffered his eye injury, whereas Rielly has kind of plateaued in development on the defensive side of the game from the looks of things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad