Speculation: New Morgan Rielly Discussion (no longer a fringe movement)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Mo isn’t getting moved, at least not with the current regime… that is pure fantasy.

Do I think we could do better with his cap space… sure and I’ve even suggested a Chych + Crouse in and Mo out wouldn’t be too far off cap wise and would likely improve the team. But I acknowledged that it is highly improbable we’d move Mo.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Ah yes, the old half truth post ... fun ... you know what they say, when you tell a half truth, you tell a complete lie. Disappointing.

What I said was "As long as there are lawyers and people willing to change rules, there is no contract that can't be broken."

Perhaps you need a lawyer to read though these super complicated posts ;) , might keep you from misinterpreting the post.
Another good one. :laugh:
Lawyers will re-write the CBA before the deadline so the Leafs can trade Rielly.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Another good one. :laugh:
Lawyers will re-write the CBA before the deadline so the Leafs can trade Rielly.

... right because that is what I said, keep it up, misleading post reflect poorly on you not me. You're looking like a person who realized he is in the wrong but isn't strong enough to admit it.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
... right because that is what I said, keep it up, misleading post reflect poorly on you not me. You're looking like a person who realized he is in the wrong but isn't strong enough to admit it.
:laugh: Must be it.

I accept your concession

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
My bad , I assumed you had the capacity to realize when you are in the wrong. Your reductive posting is growing old, I'm done with you.
:laugh: You were done when you started with the lawyers breaking contracts nonsense.

All I’ve ever said is that if Rielly doesn’t want to leave he isn’t going anywhere which is 100% true.

Being done is the smartest thing you’ve said here.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not advocating that we do anything with Rielly at this time at all. But I don't know if I subscribe to the idea that management should always operate like the honourable boy scout, especially when a championship pursuit is within arms reach and the guy with protection might be a speed bump.

Either never hand out these NTC's and NMC's or do the ruthless thing that places the organization above the player. It sounds tough from a human perspective, but Brisebois has the Stanley Cups. Ujiri broke his promises to DeRozan and his family and we had a parade. This rebuild was also made possible because the Leaf organization was willing to circumvent contracts, manipulate LTIR and get undesirables out to start fresh.

At the end of the day, I just want to know the organization will have the guts to do the hard thing if necessary, to deliver a title.
You hit the nail on the head. Our mgmt cares more about 'doing the right thing' and its public image than it does about winning the cup ..
Or doing everything possible to enable them to. I admire and respect what Ujiri did with Derozan....not only did he make a bold move & ignore the critics...it resulted in a championship. The leafs on the other hand are the exact opposite..

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
:laugh: You were done when you started with the lawyers breaking contracts nonsense.

All I’ve ever said is that if Rielly doesn’t want to leave he isn’t going anywhere which is 100% true.

Being done is the smartest thing you’ve said here.
You're blatantly naive.....the Leafs could force him to want to Leave just as Hellcat said. Other teams have done it to far better players...YOU dont know what you're talking about.
Reilly should never have been signed to the long term deal (imho) & I would not hesitate to trade him. I care about winning the Cup not the name on the jersey.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
You're blatantly naive.....the Leafs could force him to want to Leave just as Hellcat said. Other teams have done it to far better players...YOU dont know what you're talking about.
Reilly should never have been signed to the long term deal (imho) & I would not hesitate to trade him. I care about winning the Cup not the name on the jersey.
How could they force him to leave? Any examples of this ever happening to a player with a similar contract who refused to waive?

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
How could they force him to leave? Any examples of this ever happening to a player with a similar contract who refused to waive?
Hellcat named many players and said it far better than I....I've been watching hockey since the 60's and have seen this situation many times...all contracts can be worked around/broken. I wont do your homework for you..

Go look it up...

That's not how this regime operates, and we should all know that by now. It's just not reality.
Agreed....therein lies the problem and why we will never win anything with these clowns at the helm

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Hellcat named many players and said it far better than I....I've been watching hockey since the 60's and have seen this situation many times...all contracts can be worked around/broken. I wont do your homework for you..

Go look it up...
Figured you didn't know, if you've seen the situation many times it shouldn't be hard to list some.
Hellcat was wrong about everything, why would anyone go back and look at that mess again?

It's not my homework, you brought it up show your work.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Figured you didn't know, if you've seen the situation many times it shouldn't be hard to list some.
Hellcat was wrong about everything, why would anyone go back and look at that mess again?

It's not my homework, you brought it up show your work.
You enjoy being an armchair critic....it is always your stance. Your act is wearing thin....

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
You've never made a case :laugh:
You made a statement then offered nothing to back it up. The posts are all there for everyone to see.
Neither do you....all you do is ask for proof blah blah...tiresome already. We're done.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Neither do you....all you do is ask for proof blah blah...tiresome already. We're done.
:laugh: Yes that's how this works, when people make claims they provide proof.
You were done before you started.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You hit the nail on the head. Our mgmt cares more about 'doing the right thing' and its public image than it does about winning the cup .. Or doing everything possible to enable them to. I admire and respect what Ujiri did with Derozan....not only did he make a bold move & ignore the critics...it resulted in a championship. The leafs on the other hand are the exact opposite..
Our management obviously cares most about winning the cup. In fact, that's exactly why they don't do all these silly blow it up suggestions - because all of them that are remotely realistic involve making the team worse and taking us further from a cup. Change for the sake of change, not improvement.

The NHL is very different from the NBA, so these aren't really comparable situations to begin with, but also, the Kawhi situation and why he was moved was extremely unique, and there isn't an equivalent NHL option out there. It should also be noted that contrary to the Leafs, who still have another decade being competitive, the Raptors were coming up on the end of their competitive cycle, and our perception of that move is entirely dependent on how one shot bounced on the rim. If that shot doesn't go in, it's perceived to be the Raptors trading their future for one chance that failed.

The Leafs are not in a situation (or quite frankly, a league) where we should be dismantling the team to go all-in on one year, even if the equivalent was available.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm not advocating that we do anything with Rielly at this time at all. But I don't know if I subscribe to the idea that management should always operate like the honourable boy scout, especially when a championship pursuit is within arms reach and the guy with protection might be a speed bump.

Either never hand out these NTC's and NMC's or do the ruthless thing that places the organization above the player. It sounds tough from a human perspective, but Brisebois has the Stanley Cups. Ujiri broke his promises to DeRozan and his family and we had a parade. This rebuild was also made possible because the Leaf organization was willing to circumvent contracts, manipulate LTIR and get undesirables out to start fresh.

At the end of the day, I just want to know the organization will have the guts to do the hard thing if necessary, to deliver a title.
Remember when GM Leafs Cliff Fletcher traded franchise favourite and #1OA pick Wendel Clark for a young and promising Mats Sundin ?

June 28, 1994 is the anniversary of one of the most remarkable trades in Toronto Maple Leafs history. It was the trade that sent Maple Leafs captain and fan-favorite Wendel Clark for a young Swedish center iceman named Mats Sundin... When the trade was made, the hockey world was shocked. First, it happened on the NHL draft floor. Second, it was a blockbuster. When it was announced, the crowd on the floor gasped. The Maple Leafs traded Clark, Sylvain Lefebvre, Landon Wilson, and the 22nd overall pick in the 1994 NHL Entry Draft to the Nordiques. In return, they got Sundin, Garth Butcher, Todd Wariner, and the 10th overall pick in the draft. Wendel Clark was an Icon in Toronto and the most popular Leaf player since Darryl Sittler.

or

How about when Cliff Fletcher "the Silver Fox" also traded recent 50 goal man Gary Leeman for Doug Gilmour in a 10 player blockbuster?

On Jan. 2, 1992, the Flames traded Doug Gilmour, Ric Nattress, Kent Manderville, Jamie Macoun and Rick Wamsley, and Toronto sent Gary Leeman, Craig Berube, Alexander Godynyuk, Michel Petit and Jeff Reese the other way. & then another the deal ended up happening where Grant Fuhr and Glenn Anderson came to Toronto, Leafs traded Vinny Damphousse and Luke Richardson, two young, former first-round high picks.

Both Gilmour and Sundin went on to become legends in Toronto and both lead the Leafs deep into the playoffs and final 4 on multiple occasions. That is the kind of GM the Leafs need again that would do anything in an attempt to win the Stanley Cup.

Can you imagine current management even trading a player like Rielly or Nylander if it made the Leafs better and their Cup odds increased?

Reactions: geo25

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Can you imagine current management even trading a player like Rielly or Nylander if it made the Leafs better and their Cup odds increased?
Yes, obviously. That doesn't equate to trading them for things that don't make us better or increase our cup odds, just because some impatient fans don't appreciate their quality.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Remember when GM Leafs Cliff Fletcher traded franchise favourite and #1OA pick Wendel Clark for a young and promising Mats Sundin ?

June 28, 1994 is the anniversary of one of the most remarkable trades in Toronto Maple Leafs history. It was the trade that sent Maple Leafs captain and fan-favorite Wendel Clark for a young Swedish center iceman named Mats Sundin... When the trade was made, the hockey world was shocked. First, it happened on the NHL draft floor. Second, it was a blockbuster. When it was announced, the crowd on the floor gasped. The Maple Leafs traded Clark, Sylvain Lefebvre, Landon Wilson, and the 22nd overall pick in the 1994 NHL Entry Draft to the Nordiques. In return, they got Sundin, Garth Butcher, Todd Wariner, and the 10th overall pick in the draft. Wendel Clark was an Icon in Toronto and the most popular Leaf player since Darryl Sittler.

or

How about when Cliff Fletcher "the Silver Fox" also traded recent 50 goal man Gary Leeman for Doug Gilmour in a 10 player blockbuster?

On Jan. 2, 1992, the Flames traded Doug Gilmour, Ric Nattress, Kent Manderville, Jamie Macoun and Rick Wamsley, and Toronto sent Gary Leeman, Craig Berube, Alexander Godynyuk, Michel Petit and Jeff Reese the other way. & then another the deal ended up happening where Grant Fuhr and Glenn Anderson came to Toronto, Leafs traded Vinny Damphousse and Luke Richardson, two young, former first-round high picks.

Both Gilmour and Sundin went on to become legends in Toronto and both lead the Leafs deep into the playoffs and final 4 on multiple occasions. That is the kind of GM the Leafs need again that would do anything in an attempt to win the Stanley Cup.

Nylander sure, I don't see why Rielly would want to leave.

I also remember the 2nd time Fletcher tried to trade him and he blocked it with his NMC.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nylander sure, I don't see why Rielly would want to leave.
I agree with you in that he just signed on for 8 years and his first 6 years of a full No Move Clause contract.

He is going nowhere soon unless HE wants to leave.

The time to trade Rielly if there was such a time was before you gave him this contract not after his bullet no trade deal kicks in.

For better or worse Morgan if going to be a part of this team moving forward whether other fans like that or not.

Reactions: Buds17 and ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I agree with you in that he just signed on for 8 years and his first 6 years of a full No Move Clause contract.

The time to trade Rielly if there was such a time was before you gave him this contract not after his bullet no trade deal kicks in.

For better or worse Morgan if going to be a part of this team moving forward whether other fans like that or not.
If only everyone understood that simple premise.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021

This whole Reilly conflict, can be resolved by one action. If he would actually rake dome lessons on how to shoot a puck hard, and then practice it everyday for 20 minutes during the rest of this season, by playoffs he could be an incredible asset for our PP. Until he learns to shoot a puck, he will always be marginally good. Add 15 goals to his points and we have an Allstar.
Now he is engaged to a beautiful gal, he can stop spending his summer chasing his dreams and improving his slap shot.
End of discussion.

Reactions: geo25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad