Speculation: New Morgan Rielly Discussion (no longer a fringe movement)

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Where did I state any of what you said?
Where you chose to ignore all his defensive mistakes and praise only his scoring. Where you said not to blame him for the teams problems, when a lot of the defensive mistakes recently were directly on him. Where you said in Rielly's case, correlation does not equal causation.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
A player waiving to leave isn’t ‘breaking a contract’. It’s following the terms of the contract.

Seems to be a fundamental thing you’re struggling with. If Rielly won’t waive he won’t be moved, bottom line.

I'm not the one struggling with anything, you're being intentionally oblivious to the realties contracts. Open your mind to the possibility that life is more nuanced than you are making it out to be.

A NTC from a players standpoint means, I negotiated a contract that will for the duration of the contract stop any trades. Tampa Bay chose to circumvent the NTC by threating to waive him, they essentially said if you choose to enforce the terms of the contract we are going to make the end result worse than if you chose to waive it. That in anyone's mind is circumventing the spirit of McDonough's contract.

Which is exactly what I outlined in my previous post, you make life so difficult on Rielly he chooses to waive his NMC. Not that I would do that, I believe a fairly negotiated contract should be honored, I think what TB did was exceptionally shady and will bite them in the ass in the future, as long as that GM is there. The only difference is Rielly has a NMC and McDonnaugh has a NTC. It does not prevent a team from creating conditions that force the player to waive his NMC or NTC. Give a GM who is a narcissist and wants to move a NMC player the challenge of moving that player who does not want to waive his NMC and I'll show you a player that is going to go through hell until he waives. Life is not as binary as I got a contract so I get what I want in my contract. That is naïve to think that.

Reactions: geo25

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm not the one struggling with anything, you're being intentionally oblivious to the realties contracts. Open your mind to the possibility that life is more nuanced than you are making it out to be.

A NTC from a players standpoint means, I negotiated a contract that will for the duration of the contract stop any trades. Tampa Bay chose to circumvent the NTC by threating to waive him, they essentially said if you choose to enforce the terms of the contract we are going to make the end result worse than if you chose to waive it. That in anyone's mind is circumventing the spirit of McDonough's contract.

Which is exactly what I outlined in my previous post, you make life so difficult on Rielly he chooses to waive his NMC. Not that I would do that, I believe a fairly negotiated contract should be honored, I think what TB did was exceptionally shady and will bite them in the ass in the future, as long as that GM is there. The only difference is Rielly has a NMC and McDonnaugh has a NTC. It does not prevent a team from creating conditions that force the player to waive his NMC or NTC. Give a GM who is a narcissist and wants to move a NMC player the challenge of moving that player who does not want to waive his NMC and I'll show you a player that is going to go through hell until he waives. Life is not as binary as I got a contract so I get what I want in my contract. That is naïve to think that.
I'll leave you to it, you really have no clue how this works.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I'm not advocating that we do anything with Rielly at this time at all. But I don't know if I subscribe to the idea that management should always operate like the honourable boy scout, especially when a championship pursuit is within arms reach and the guy with protection might be a speed bump.

Either never hand out these NTC's and NMC's or do the ruthless thing that places the organization above the player. It sounds tough from a human perspective, but Brisebois has the Stanley Cups. Ujiri broke his promises to DeRozan and his family and we had a parade. This rebuild was also made possible because the Leaf organization was willing to circumvent contracts, manipulate LTIR and get undesirables out to start fresh.

At the end of the day, I just want to know the organization will have the guts to do the hard thing if necessary, to deliver a title.

Reactions: geo25

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm not advocating that we do anything with Rielly at this time at all. But I don't know if I subscribe to the idea that management should always operate like the honourable boy scout, especially when a championship pursuit is within arms reach and the guy with protection might be a speed bump.

Either never hand out these NTC's and NMC's or do the ruthless thing that places the organization above the player. It sounds tough from a human perspective, but Brisebois has the Stanley Cups. Ujiri broke his promises to DeRozan and his family and we had a parade. This rebuild was also made possible because the Leaf organization was willing to circumvent contracts, manipulate LTIR and get undesirables out to start fresh.

At the end of the day, I just want to know the organization will have the guts to do the hard thing if necessary, to deliver a title.

But if they go full ruthless, is Rielly the best target?

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Where you chose to ignore all his defensive mistakes and praise only his scoring. Where you said not to blame him for the teams problems, when a lot of the defensive mistakes recently were directly on him. Where you said in Rielly's case, correlation does not equal causation.
Do you completely ignore the fact that I stated he was coming back from injury? Maybe give a guy time to get back up to game speed before judging him?

Everyone knows what Morgan is and isn’t. To act like it’s some revelation that he isn’t a true 1D is laughable. He is an offensive transition based D, that this team is better with than without. That’s it.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Do you completely ignore the fact that I stated he was coming back from injury? Maybe give a guy time to get back up to game speed before judging him?

Everyone knows what Morgan is and isn’t. To act like it’s some revelation that he isn’t a true 1D is laughable. He is an offensive transition based D, that this team is better with than without. That’s it.

We don't need him to be a shutdown D like a prime Hedman or anything. Just not a liability, he was making low IQ pinches before injury, it isn't something injury related just poor decision making and low hockey IQ.

He played a much more responsible game against the Wings last night, but he needs to do that consistently. Low quality pinches just kill a team. Especially when you're up. Not asking him to have Lidstrom like stick work or anything, but just know where to be positioning wise and have some restraint in the O-zone. Pinching without support when it's a low percentage chance to win the puck battle isn't smart, he does that quite a bit.

Reactions: Al14 and sxvnert

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

I've always subscribed to the axiom, your word is all you got. I feel if you are going to hand out NTC/NMC, you think that is something that is going to help you win that championship. Your word, should not be something you use to manipulate a player into signing a contract you have no plans in honoring. I'm in the first camp you illustrated, don't give them out.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I'll leave you to it, you really have no clue how this works.

You keep saying that but I gave you a list of 25 players, which was quite easy to find, who waived their NTC to be traded. Even with that evidence to consider, please tell the class how a NTC means you cannot be traded, ever.

I'm taking the position that a NTC can be broken and your taking the position that it's impossible to trade Rielly because he has a NTC. We both know in the past players with NTC have been traded, please explain to me in simple terms, so I will "know how it works"...

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
You keep saying that but I gave you a list of 25 players, which was quite easy to find, who waived their NTC to be traded. Even with that evidence to consider, please tell the class how a NTC means you cannot be traded, ever.

I'm taking the position that a NTC can be broken and your taking the position that it's impossible to trade Rielly because he has a NTC. We both know in the past players with NTC have been traded, please explain to me in simple terms, so I will "know how it works"...
A NTC/NMC can’t be broken no matter how much you wish that to be true. It can be waived by the player. If the player doesn’t waive he can’t be moved. This is basic stuff, stop replying about it. You’re just looking silly.

Here’s a simple task. List the players who didn’t waive a NMC and were moved.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I've always subscribed to the axiom, your word is all you got. I feel if you are going to hand out NTC/NMC, you think that is something that is going to help you win that championship. Your word, should not be something you use to manipulate a player into signing a contract you have no plans in honoring. I'm in the first camp you illustrated, don't give them out.

I think a NTC/NMC clause is different than giving someone your word. It's a negotiated protection which puts protection into the hands of the player so they aren't at the whim of someone who gave a "promise." If conditions change you can renegotiate and they can be part of the process finding a new team.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
A NTC/NMC can’t be broken no matter how much you wish that to be true. It can be waived by the player. If the player doesn’t waive he can’t be moved. This is basic stuff, stop replying about it. You’re just looking silly.

If it wasn't for Matt Murray's NTC he would have been traded from Ottawa to Buffalo.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If it wasn't for Matt Murray's NTC he would have been traded from Ottawa to Buffalo.

Perhaps they needed better Lawyers to break the contract as Hellcat suggests :laugh:

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

NTC's and NMC's just allow an athlete to have some say in where their next destination is.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

In the half dozen-ish reply's to you, that is exactly what I said, you create conditions where the player WANTS to waive his NTC and you kept replying that, "I was not getting it" , Jebus, some people on this forum.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Perhaps they needed better Lawyers to break the contract as Hellcat suggests :laugh:

Ah yes, the old half truth post ... fun ... you know what they say, when you tell a half truth, you tell a complete lie. Disappointing.

What I said was "As long as there are lawyers and people willing to change rules, there is no contract that can't be broken."

Perhaps you need a lawyer to read though these super complicated posts ;) , might keep you from misinterpreting the post.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
In the half dozen-ish reply's to you, that is exactly what I said, you create conditions where the player WANTS to waive his NTC and you kept replying that, "I was not getting it" , Jebus, some people on this forum.
It actually started with you saying a good lawyer could break any contract. Perhaps you have short term memory issues, all good.

Tell me about these conditions they will create? Should be entertaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad