Music: New Metallica Album "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct" out November 18

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Death Magnetic is radio rock? If you believe this I can only assume you've judged it on reputation, not direction. I wasn't a fan of most of what they did between ...And Justice, and Death Magnetic, but that shouldn't matter if what they are putting out lately is good. DM is right up there with the old albums imo.

Agreed, I adore DM.

I was in high school last time these guys put out material, I'm so stoked to finally get new music.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
DM had the worst production. That snare ting and the clipping was unbearable. It's so painfully loud that I can't even approach it anymore. And I've never considered myself anything close to an audiophile.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
DM had the worst production. That snare ting and the clipping was unbearable. It's so painfully loud that I can't even approach it anymore. And I've never considered myself anything close to an audiophile.

It's Rick Rubin trying to get Metallica back to the 80's. Reminded me a lot of Justice only with the bass audible. Totally dry guitars, kick snare hihat all at dead centre...but it's not 1989 anymore.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

I just tried listening to it again last night. Unbearable, couldn't even get through the first song. Who mixed that?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Produced and mixed by Greg Fidelman, actually. He's pretty well known for brickwalling production, clipped vocals, quantized drums, etc.

I haen't listened to this particular song, but everything I've heard that Fidelman was involved in has sounded awful.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Produced and mixed by Greg Fidelman, actually. He's pretty well known for brickwalling production, clipped vocals, quantized drums, etc.

I haen't listened to this particular song, but everything I've heard that Fidelman was involved in has sounded awful.
I think bohlmeister was talking about Death Magnetic, in which case it was Rick Rubin.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I like the sound of it. Cautiously optimistic at this point. Sounds like this is going further away from St. Anger and even further in the direction that Death Magnetic went. Which would be a good thing.

Metallica lyrics haven't been anything since reload. Actually, the lyrics on DM are quite easily the best since then. It's more about the riffs at this point.

Is there anyone who gets as much **** flung at them anytime they release something new, as Metallica? Is it cause of the Napster thing from 2000?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I like the sound of it. Cautiously optimistic at this point. Sounds like this is going further away from St. Anger and even further in the direction that Death Magnetic went. Which would be a good thing.

Metallica lyrics haven't been anything since reload. Actually, the lyrics on DM are quite easily the best since then. It's more about the riffs at this point.

Is there anyone who gets as much **** flung at them anytime they release something new, as Metallica? Is it cause of the Napster thing from 2000?

Metallica's direction change + metal's horribly notorious judgmental community = constant **** flinging. You'd be surprised how many people I've seen trash their newer albums without even listening to them.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
As a huge Metallica fan I've pretty much gotten used to Metallica getting **** flung at them no matter what (and im sure they're used to it as well). They release radio songs they've sold out, they go back to playing metal and its uninspired, forced and sounds awful.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Metallica's direction change + metal's horribly notorious judgmental community = constant **** flinging. You'd be surprised how many people I've seen trash their newer albums without even listening to them.

What about how they treated Jason Newsted??? With that alone, they deserve get pelted with ****.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
What about how they treated Jason Newsted??? With that alone, they deserve get pelted with ****.

Yeah, it wasn't a nice move that's for sure. But uh, people make mistakes. They were young guys who just lost their best friend. They regret the way they treated him. They don't need to keep paying for it.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Yeah, it wasn't a nice move that's for sure. But uh, people make mistakes. They were young guys who just lost their best friend. They regret the way they treated him. They don't need to keep paying for it.

This. Plus they've already made amends with Jason by playing with him at the hall of fame and at the Metallica 30th anniversary shows (dude was on stage for a couple songs all 4 nights)

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Not really a huge fan of the lyrics...I mean don't get me wrong, I have nothing against using profanity in songs, but it almost seemed kind of "forced" there. I've only had one listen and I wasn't hugely impressed. Not like I was with "The Day That Never Comes" from Death Magnetic, it at least sounded like what most record companies want from the lead single--which is to say that it seemed commercially accessible (though I might've still went with "Cyanide" as the lead single because it just sounds more "commercial" to me).

I'm still going to buy the Deluxe Edition because I'm really interested in that 3rd CD, and I'll give this song another listen or two and see if anything changes.

To me it's a difference between throwing in a curse word for emphasis or to fill in time vs. making the majority of your chorus revolve around two stressed curse words. It's not something you'd expect guys in their 50s to be writing and has never been Metallica's style to begin with.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The live version of the first single was good IMO. As someone mentioned people like to **** on them for no reason other than they are Metallica. I am a fan but I admit they have fallen from being probably my favorite band to maybe 10th or so. I started listening to them at around 10 years old in the mid 80s and they were my first real metal concert during the And Justice for All tour.

Since then I have become a bigger fan of the likes of Trent Reznor (who gets his share of flack for his evolving music) and of Tool and JMK other band these days, Puscifer.

This being said I still can find something I like on all Metallica's albums.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00