Music: New Metallica Album "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct" out November 18

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm ****ing loving it.

Love the shorter runtime and I hope it's the final runtime. I don't want Metallica writing long songs for the sake of having long songs.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
This is the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Hit the Lights
Whiplash
Fight Fire With Fire
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Trapped Under Ice
Battery
Damage Inc.
Harvester of Sorrow
Dyers Eve
Enter Sandman
Sad But True
Of Wolf and Man
The God that Failed
Until it Sleeps
King Nothing
Fuel
Devil's Dance
Sweet Amber
My Apocalypse

All under 6 minutes and if you think these are garbage, idk what to tell you lol.

:laugh:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Lyrics suck as expected. .

I don't listen till I get the album, but this has been their biggest problem since the 90's. IDGAF so much about the sound (within reason) but the writing has gone from what was good-great to almost entirely trash.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Sounds good to me. It'll be hard to live up to Death Magnetic, that album was ****ing awesome, but it sounds good so far. I look forward to the metal hipsters trashing it six ways til Sunday though.

It's not just hipsters. Some of us are old enough to have actually been listening to this band throughout the 80's, and genuinely didn't care for the direction they took afterward.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
I don't mind shorter songs, they've had way too many 6+ minute songs in recent years that were comprised of unrelated throwaway/filler riffs tossed on for no good reason to extend the run time. Unfortunately this one isn't good though. It's simply fast for fast's sake, completely ignoring melody, without an even remotely memorable riff. It sounds like every high school metal band during rehearsals, except they for some reason decided to record it. After this and the crap that was Lords of Summer, I don't have my hopes up, but knowing them, they'll find a way to have at least three or four decent tunes in those 80 minutes.

Last edited:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
So I really liked Death Magnetic, and this song sounds like a song that didn't make the cut for that album. But not like it just missed the cut, like they decided "wow this sucks and should not be on the album". Lyrics are cringeworthy, riffs are so generic. Solo is weak.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
It's not just hipsters. Some of us are old enough to have actually been listening to this band throughout the 80's, and genuinely didn't care for the direction they took afterward.

If you are going to judge an album on reputation, and not on it's own merits or faults, that's unfortunate.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I had no idea Metallica were even still recording.

Bingo. I still have the Kill 'Em All shirt I bought in 1986. It doesn't fit, and my wife's threatened to divorce me if I ever put it on and wear it in public, but I do still have it. Somewhere. I think. It's probably in the same box as my Helix and Queensryche shirts.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Song's decent. It's super short so hard to really judge the solo. That said, it's fairly repetitive and the chorus is kind of lame. I'll give it a 5/10. Maybe it can go up a couple points with repeat listens.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Not really a huge fan of the lyrics...I mean don't get me wrong, I have nothing against using profanity in songs, but it almost seemed kind of "forced" there. I've only had one listen and I wasn't hugely impressed. Not like I was with "The Day That Never Comes" from Death Magnetic, it at least sounded like what most record companies want from the lead single--which is to say that it seemed commercially accessible (though I might've still went with "Cyanide" as the lead single because it just sounds more "commercial" to me).

I'm still going to buy the Deluxe Edition because I'm really interested in that 3rd CD, and I'll give this song another listen or two and see if anything changes.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Not really a huge fan of the lyrics...I mean don't get me wrong, I have nothing against using profanity in songs, but it almost seemed kind of "forced" there. I've only had one listen and I wasn't hugely impressed. Not like I was with "The Day That Never Comes" from Death Magnetic, it at least sounded like what most record companies want from the lead single--which is to say that it seemed commercially accessible (though I might've still went with "Cyanide" as the lead single because it just sounds more "commercial" to me).

Me neither. Just not that good. You may have a point by explaining that with the purpose of being commercially accessible. The worst part is the refrain, oh my...

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Me neither. Just not that good. You may have a point by explaining that with the purpose of being commercially accessible. The worst part is the refrain, oh my...

I'm still going to buy the album, and happily do so, because we don't know how the rest of the material sounds yet...and actually looking back at Metallica's last two albums, the lead singles haven't been what I would've went with. With St. Anger they went with "St. Anger" whereas I probably would've went with "Frantic" (which I still think is one of their stronger songs in their catalog). For Death Magnetic they went with "The Day That Never Comes" and I'd already said that I probably would've went with "Cyanide". Most record labels want that "commercial/radio accessible" song as the lead single. Case in point, I was watching a little video where Anthony Kiedis talks about "Dark Necessities" from the new RHCP album, and he'd said that the record label wanted that as the lead single whereas the band and Brian Burton (the producer of the album) had been long pushing for "Go Robot" as the lead...well, the record label won, but listening to that album, I can see why Kiedis/RHCP/Burton wanted that to be the lead because I think "Go Robot" is one of the best tracks there, but "Dark Necessities" has that Flea bass line right off the bat that jumps out and just seems more "commercial" in tone.

I don't listen to "The Day That Never Comes" much when I listen to DM, because I find other tracks to be better on that album, and I'm hoping for more of the same when this one comes out.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
This is the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Hit the Lights
Whiplash
Fight Fire With Fire
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Trapped Under Ice
Battery
Damage Inc.
Harvester of Sorrow
Dyers Eve
Enter Sandman
Sad But True
Of Wolf and Man
The God that Failed
Until it Sleeps
King Nothing
Fuel
Devil's Dance
Sweet Amber
My Apocalypse

All under 6 minutes and if you think these are garbage, idk what to tell you lol.

Sorry you took the time to compose that list but it was clearly just a vague estimation when I said "a good 6-7 minutes"

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I said direction, not reputation. Let's not be coy, they've been making radio rock since 1991.

Death Magnetic is radio rock? If you believe this I can only assume you've judged it on reputation, not direction. I wasn't a fan of most of what they did between ...And Justice, and Death Magnetic, but that shouldn't matter if what they are putting out lately is good. DM is right up there with the old albums imo.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'm okay with the rhythm line on the track. But yeah, I'll be honest - the black album was basically my introduction to Metallica and so I never really got into any of their garage/thrash sounds. So yeah, not a huge fan of this one overall.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Death Magnetic is radio rock? If you believe this I can only assume you've judged it on reputation, not direction. I wasn't a fan of most of what they did between ...And Justice, and Death Magnetic, but that shouldn't matter if what they are putting out lately is good. DM is right up there with the old albums imo.

I wouldn't go quite as far as your last sentence but I think it's their best album other than the big 4. Only weak track was My Apocalypse IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: