Movies: New lion king movie

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Agreed. I forgot to mention it in my first post, but they’re far funnier in this movie than the original.

Yup. They’re freaking great.

I personally enjoyed this movie, and so did the rest of my family.

I would say the weakest performance was from Glover.

I wasn’t loving the voice change for Scar when I had seen some clips, but I actually enjoyed it during the movie. Didn’t expect that

Reactions: irunthepeg

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So, weekend actuals came in, the The Lion King nabbed a domestic opening weekend of $191.7 million. Not bad. Up to $543.6 million worldwide, so this will likely be another billion dollar hit for Disney.

Assuming Aladdin passes a billion and Toy Story can leg it out a billion, Disney will likely have 6 movies to hit a billion this year.

Actually... not that I think of it, it may actually be 7 films. I forgot about Frozen 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: irunthepeg

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Yeah, it was an entirely unnecessary movie.

But Timon and Pumbaa made it kinda of worth it. I LOVED Billy Eichner as Timon. Easily the best casting decision they made for this film (save mufasa)

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Liked it more than I expected to.

It's a stunning, beautiful film. Worth seeing for that alone.

The loss of the facial expressions is the most notable fault..but the voice acting does a good job bridging the gap.

I love Be Prepared so that change hurt.

Timon and Pumba were great. I loved the extended Lion Sleeps Tonight.

The music overall was very, very good. Zimmer had some nice subtle tweaks to the music.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Liked it more than I expected to.

It's a stunning, beautiful film. Worth seeing for that alone.

The loss of the facial expressions is the most notable fault..but the voice acting does a good job bridging the gap.

I love Be Prepared so that change hurt.

Timon and Pumba were great. I loved the extended Lion Sleeps Tonight.

The music overall was very, very good. Zimmer had some nice subtle tweaks to the music.

Only voice acting I didn't care for was from Donald Glover. Not sure if that was his fault or how it was directed, but it just didn't do too much for me.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Only voice acting I didn't care for was from Donald Glover. Not sure if that was his fault or how it was directed, but it just didn't do too much for me.

I think there was two flaws of Donald Glover being cast.

Despite being a talented musical artist, he's actually nothing the greatest vocalist in a straight ballad. He's not horrible, but simply adequate. If he wasn't a Grammy award winning musician, I think they would have used a different voice actor for the songs, as they did in the original.

I think the association with Donald Glover is more comedic and light hearted roles. In a voice role where the character is virtually expressionless, the audience is going to react heavily by what they associate the voice with. If you're hearing Troy from Community or Lando Calrissian, it's hard to immerse yourself with the complex emotions the character is feeling.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I thought it was meh

The only part that made me chuckle was the different jokes with Timon and Pumba from the original

All the female lions looked exactly the same, I couldn't tell one from the other.

It looked nice for sure, but just a cash grab to me.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Little late to the party. Was not terrible, but lacked a lot of heart from the original. Voice actors weren’t terrible but were just ok. Just one big example, I figured it would be hard to top Jeremy Irons as Scar, who was excellent. This Scar was not even close, felt more like a grumpy uncle at the dinner table. The Scar of 1994 was just pure evil and Jeremy Irons hit a home run in that role.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Saw this last night with my wife and we both thought it was ok but not better than the original.

Timon and Pumba were the best part

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad