Movies: New lion king movie

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The trailer is loaded with mirrored scenes from the animated feature. Scar prowling the edge of the gorge during the stampede. The time lapse while in exile. Mufasa's speech about ruling a kingdom. I'll have to watch this with sound later to see how Scar is, but already I'm not that impressed with him visually. That's something traditional animation can do so well, the exaggerated features and visual cues for a character. He also looks like, in the trailer, that he's not part of the pride which I really hope is just misdirection. Scar's betrayal is supposed to be a big moment for our protagonists.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I thought this film was essentially pointless to re-do in "live action".

They've just animated it again with different voices.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The trailer is loaded with mirrored scenes from the animated feature. Scar prowling the edge of the gorge during the stampede. The time lapse while in exile. Mufasa's speech about ruling a kingdom. I'll have to watch this with sound later to see how Scar is, but already I'm not that impressed with him visually. That's something traditional animation can do so well, the exaggerated features and visual cues for a character. He also looks like, in the trailer, that he's not part of the pride which I really hope is just misdirection. Scar's betrayal is supposed to be a big moment for our protagonists.
The cgi version will likely Mirror how close the jungle book live action was to the animated one. Aladdin and beauty and the beast were fairly close to the original animated versions.

Dumbo didn’t do well at the box office.

Mulan is expected to be very different from the animated version.

There will be a a few misses here and there will these live action versions.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The cgi version will likely Mirror how close the jungle book live action was to the animated one. Aladdin and beauty and the beast were fairly close to the original animated versions.

Dumbo didn’t do well at the box office.

Mulan is expected to be very different from the animated version.

There will be a a few misses here and there will these live action versions.

Right, they're trying to do scene by scene in most cases, but they have a hard time nailing the magic of those movies. They really come off as lacking character. And why cast VAs that can't sing for the musicals?

Edit: LOL I'm sure by now it's been widely seen how badly they do the death of Mufasa. Talk about phoning it in. How do you make a movie that you're copying shot by shot so badly? Half the work is already done for you.

Last edited:

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
All of these live versions are absolutely trash.

Maleficent and Beauty and the Beast were acceptable. Aladdin was just beneath that. Alice and Wonderland was one of the worst films i've seen Disney do.

Every other remake has been a disaster, and i'm glad they get critically panned, and don't do that hot in the box office.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
I was 4 when the original came out. Big part of my childhood, I've easily watched it 100 times. I don't want anything to ruin these fond memories of mine so I don't think I'll be watching this as it'll most probably be a huge steaming pile of **** in comparison. Keep your pointless remade crap to yourself Disney.

Reactions: irunthepeg
Oct 18, 2006
Just got out of the cinemas. I think the hate is unwarranted. Some of the voices lack the passion of the original, bit overall I think they did a good job.

Can't believe they completely ****ing ruined Be Prepared like that.
Now that was awful. Genuinely awful. Don’t know what they were even attempting on that song.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Seeing it next week.

Overall I've liked the few remakes I've seen... Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Jungle Book all were enjoyable.

Jungle Book was very well done I think, so I've got high hopes for this.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I was going to go tonight, but looks like it’ll he Sunday now.

Anyway, I have heard basically all positive (or VERY positive) things from everyone that has gone.

Not shocked. Always have to remember that the general audience doesn’t think like the HF Critics Board.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I was 4 when the original came out. Big part of my childhood, I've easily watched it 100 times. I don't want anything to ruin these fond memories of mine so I don't think I'll be watching this as it'll most probably be a huge steaming pile of **** in comparison. Keep your pointless remade crap to yourself Disney.
Yes if you feel that way about the original do not go see this then.
Like maybe it was because I ate a special kind of baked good beforehand but I'm pretty sure I felt a part of my soul leave my body. In a really bad way, I want it back

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I saw this yesterday with a large family group that included 3 generations. I thought it was fine. It's the same story that made-up the original beloved. There's very minor tweaks to the dialogue and story. It delivers what you'd expect.

The switch to this type of animation loses the expressiveness of the characters. The voice actors need to do a lot to makes this work, and I think they do an adequate job.

Where this worked for me though is that this is almost a perfect movie for a multi generational theatre outing. The story and songs worked for my kids. The realistic nature of it though is fascinating and the uniqueness of seeing realistic looking wildlife interacting and moving a story along is something to keep it interesting, along with that same story that holds up well.

The only other movie that's come out recently that I can pull in grandparents, parents and kids is probably Aladdin.

The movies legacy will be contained to the tech advancement, as outside of that, you may as well watch the original. But, it makes a decent theatre outing.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
It was just okay for me. Someone mentioned in this thread that it would be harder to see the emotion on the characters’ faces and they were right. Mufassa dying didn’t hit nearly as hard. It was more or less exactly the same as the original. Original was far better though. If you enjoy the realistic looking animals I’d say this is worth a watch, otherwise just stream/pop in the original and save your money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad