Movies: New lion king movie

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Dumbo - March 29th, 2019
Aladdin - May 24, 2019

Thanks. I forgot about both. I see what you mean. That's two Disney remakes in the four months leading up to The Lion King's release. I can see how there might be fatigue... though I can also see Dumbo and Aladdin (especially Dumbo) underperforming because The Lion King is what everyone is hyped for. I think that Disney should've been more conservative and spaced them out only one every year, to maximize hype and profit, or, at least, kept them six months apart.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Thanks. I forgot about both. I see what you mean. That's two Disney remakes in the four months leading up to The Lion King's release. I can see how there might be fatigue... though I can also see Dumbo and Aladdin (especially Dumbo) underperforming because The Lion King is what everyone is hyped for. I think that Disney should've been more conservative and spaced them out only one every year, to maximize hype and profit, or, at least, kept them six months apart.

It's puzzling to me as this seems like the year that Disney needed so many big animated remakes the least. They have so many heavy hitting franchises with big movies.

They have a core trilogy Star Wars movie, and potentially the last movie to feature any of the original cast.

Avengers is the end of their core cast, and will have a big build up to it. Captain Marvel comes out a few months earlier and has breakout potential by being the first female lead MCU film.

Plus, you have probably their two biggest existing animated franchises with big sequels in Frozen and Toy Story with new movies.

Something will fall flat, and I'm not sure which one. I would have guessed Dumbo, but, I think the trailer actually looks pretty good, so, we'll see. Aladdin should be a safe bet given its such a beloved film, but as a remake it might be among the hardest to strike the right tone. Guy Ritchie as the director is a tough guy to have confidence in as well give his lack of success recently.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It's puzzling to me as this seems like the year that Disney needed so many big animated remakes the least. They have so many heavy hitting franchises with big movies.

They have a core trilogy Star Wars movie, and potentially the last movie to feature any of the original cast.

Avengers is the end of their core cast, and will have a big build up to it. Captain Marvel comes out a few months earlier and has breakout potential by being the first female lead MCU film.

Plus, you have probably their two biggest existing animated franchises with big sequels in Frozen and Toy Story with new movies.

Something will fall flat, and I'm not sure which one. I would have guessed Dumbo, but, I think the trailer actually looks pretty good, so, we'll see. Aladdin should be a safe bet given its such a beloved film, but as a remake it might be among the hardest to strike the right tone. Guy Ritchie as the director is a tough guy to have confidence in as well give his lack of success recently.

The big knock I see right now with Aladdin is no Robin Williams who is replaced by Will Smith. I don't think Smith can bring the same comedy and craziness to the role.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The big knock I see right now with Aladdin is no Robin Williams who is replaced by Will Smith. I don't think Smith can bring the same comedy and craziness to the role.

I actually think that casting is pretty good. It was always going to be one of the hardest roles for them to cast among any of Disney's animated hits as it was so iconic. They managed to land someone who is a bankable star and can handle comedic and musical roles. Its also such drastically different styles that it won't be a direct remake of the role.

If it doesn't succeed I think it will be more indicative that there wasn't anyone that fans would accept in the role, than it was a case of bad casting.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I actually think that casting is pretty good. It was always going to be one of the hardest roles for them to cast among any of Disney's animated hits as it was so iconic. They managed to land someone who is a bankable star and can handle comedic and musical roles. Its also such drastically different styles that it won't be a direct remake of the role.

If it doesn't succeed I think it will be more indicative that there wasn't anyone that fans would accept in the role, than it was a case of bad casting.
I guess after watching this I can't see anyone playing the role

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
That trailer ain’t doing it for me.

I’m not necessarily the target audience, but I did see the original in theatres and adored the soundtrack as a kid.

It looks cold and strange but mostly just unneccesary.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Avengers is just going to rake in money, I was gonna say it would hit avatar levels but 2.7 billion is just crazy.

I would not be surprised to see it go over titanic for gross and in fact I’d be shocked if it doesn’t.

Dumbo is the movie I think will fall the hardest because I don’t think it has the appeal of the other 2 Disney remakes to a general audience. I know I’m not going to see it (in theaters)but I can see myself seeing Aladdin and lion king quite easily

Sep 19, 2008
The original soundtrack better make a comeback too.

I briefly noticed that many of the original people who worked on the movie's soundtrack were doing this one too (Tim Rice for sure) so be interesting to see what happens

From Wiki

On November 1, 2017, it was announced that Hans Zimmer would return to score the film, having previously scored the 1994 animated version.[23] On November 28, 2017, it was reported that Elton John had signed onto the project to rework his musical compositions from the original film before his retirement.[24] The following day it was reported that Beyoncé would be assisting John in the reworking of the soundtrack.[25] On February 9, 2018, John reported that he, Tim Rice and Beyoncé would create a new song for the end credits of the film.[26] Later that month, it was revealed that four songs from the original film would be included in the film: "Can You Feel the Love Tonight", "Hakuna Matata", "I Just Can't Wait to Be King", and "Circle of Life".[27]

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I don't understand why you need a live-action remake of a movie with zero human parts, but, gotta make that money, right?

That said, think they did an excellent job with the cast. Why did they change the names of the Hyenas, though?

Hollywood is broke and out of ideas. Why do you think Mary Poppins is coming back from the dead?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Don't know most of these people, but John Oliver and Seth Rogan? Bleh. Also not too crazy about Beyonce as Nala, but I assume they wanted someone who could sing and has star power.

Also agree on Jeremy Irons for Scar. Can't imagine anyone else in that role. At least the guy they got is British, so it may work.

Seth Rogen can't do anything but fart noise. Embarassing.

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Zero interest from me, the original lion king for me was pretty much perfect and no matter how flashy it looks I don’t think it’ll come close. Also Aladdin without Robin Williams... no.

By large I can’t be bothered with Hollywood anymore. It’s the same things done over and over again. Like I believe in 2007 there was a movie that was a remake of a film from way back in 2006. That and the awards go to the wrong people... like I should have at least been nominated for best male actor for my roles in customer service, the customers did not know how badly I wanted to murder them... in fact I regularly received compliments for my excellent customer service... where’s my Emmy damn it :laugh:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The soundtrack was Elton John's best work, honestly.

I don't get the timing though. You have a generation now NOT raised on this movie. The generation that was is like 30 now. This movie until very recently wasn't on TV much over the years. Now it's been on Freeform like 20 times this year interestingly but I guess with this now not a coincidence.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
For those worried it might be a shot for shot remake of the original, supposedly it isn't.

Speaking with THR, Disney’s live-action studio chief, Sean Bailey, promised the new Lion King won’t be a shot-for-shot remake of the 1994 original.
The Lion King is a revered and beloved movie, so you’d better revere and love those parts that the audience wants. But there are things in the movie that are going to be new.​
Advertisement
In the same interview, Bailey boasts the movie utilizes “a new form of filmmaking” that blurs “historical definitions” of what separates a live-action film from an animated one.
It is a new form of filmmaking. Historical definitions don’t work. It uses some techniques that would traditionally be called animation, and other techniques that would traditionally be called live action. It is an evolution of the technology Jon used in Jungle Book.​

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
For those worried it might be a shot for shot remake of the original, supposedly it isn't.

Speaking with THR, Disney’s live-action studio chief, Sean Bailey, promised the new Lion King won’t be a shot-for-shot remake of the 1994 original.
The Lion King is a revered and beloved movie, so you’d better revere and love those parts that the audience wants. But there are things in the movie that are going to be new.​
Advertisement
In the same interview, Bailey boasts the movie utilizes “a new form of filmmaking” that blurs “historical definitions” of what separates a live-action film from an animated one.
It is a new form of filmmaking. Historical definitions don’t work. It uses some techniques that would traditionally be called animation, and other techniques that would traditionally be called live action. It is an evolution of the technology Jon used in Jungle Book.​

The original Lion King isn't even a 90 minute movie. I can definitely see them adding parts that the original had to cut-out, like Simba's journey back to Pride Rock.

Hopefully the additions aren't huge misses like the unnecessary filler in Beauty and the Beast.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The soundtrack was Elton John's best work, honestly.

I don't get the timing though. You have a generation now NOT raised on this movie. The generation that was is like 30 now. This movie until very recently wasn't on TV much over the years. Now it's been on Freeform like 20 times this year interestingly but I guess with this now not a coincidence.

Because there is money to be made by selling nostalgia. They aren’t selling it to new generations, they are selling it to those 30 year olds.

Sep 19, 2008
I still remember when Mufasa was trampled by those wildebeasts as a kid

It has got to be the most saddest movie scene I ever saw growing up

To this day I am terrified of that scene Probably won't see this movie. :cry:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I think it looks awesome, but I'm one of the few who doesnt mind Disney bringing old school classics to live action cinema.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->