Line Combos: New lineup??

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
So looking at CapFriendly, with Timmins injured and most likely placed on LTIR, that gives us a bit of extra space. According to my exceptionally poor math skills, after waiving Gambrell and Jones we are still around $200,000 above the cap. That’s still counting Holmberg on the cap, but not Gregor, Benoit or Minten. Even sending Holmberg down to get under the cap means we start 11F and 6D which is not ideal. Sending Holmberg down and adding Gregor or Minten puts us above the cap again. Definitely has to be a move made between now and Monday. Extremely curious to see what Treliving does here.
They either keep Minten or they sign Gregor. One or the other with no moves.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
New Line Up MegaPrediction (Elite Version 2.0)

Bertuzzi Matthews Marner
Knies Tavares Nylander
Domi Minton Jarnkrok
Lafferty Kampf Reaves

Rielly Brodie
McCabe Liljegren
Gio Klingberg

Samsonov
Woll

Reactions: slozo

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Bertuzzi Matthews Nylander
Knies Tavares Marner
Domi Minten Jarnkrok
Gregor Kampf Lafferty
Reaves

Rielly Liljegren
McCabe Timmins
Brodie Klingberg
Giordano

Samsonov
Woll

Eakins Robertson Benoit not enough yet

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Timmins starts on LTIR. Jones is picked up on waivers. Holmberg and Robertson are sent down. Lafferty is traded for a later pick. Gregor is signed for 1 year, league min.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Domi - Tavares - Nylander
Knies - Minten - Jarnkrok
Gregor - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Klingberg
Giordano - Liljegren

Samsonov - Woll

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I am an expert Leaf fan now.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Domi - Nylander - Cowan
Knies - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Clifford - Kampf - Holmberg
*Lafferty

Reactions: notDatsyuk

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
Bertuzzi-Matthew’s-marner
Domi-Tavares-nylander
Knies-kampf-Jarnkrok
Gregor-lafferty-Reeves
Holmberg/kokkonen

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-klingberg
Gio-Lilly

Sammy
Woll

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Bertuzzi Matthews. Nylander
Knies. Tavares. Marner
Lafferty.Domi. Holmberg Jarnkrok
Gregor. Kampf. Reeves

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-klingberg
Gio-Lilly
Timmins ?????

Sammy
Woll

Does Lafferty trade mean we can keep Timmins ( runs to capfriendly)

Answer- Unfortunately no, we would be $122,283 over looks like. but we could sign Gregor for 775,000 keep Holmberg Minten ( or Robertson) up with the team while Timmins is on LTIR.

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Bertuzzi - Matthews - Nylander
Domi - Tavares - Marner
Knies - Minten - Jarnkrok
Gregor - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Klingberg
Giordano - Liljegren

Samsonov - Woll

But we all know Marner and Nylander will be flipped.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Klingberg
Giordano - Liljegren

That seems likely, but I have to admit that second pairing scares the days out of me if Klingberg doesn't rebound in a big way. The third pairing too if Gio doesn't get the benefit of a healthy amount of load management during the season.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
IMG_2578.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TMLAM34

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Minten deserves it more than Holmberg, who quite honestly doesn’t bring anything but a warm body at this point. Let Holmberg try to develop some offence in the minors.

Reactions: kb and TMLAM34

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
That seems likely, but I have to admit that second pairing scares the days out of me if Klingberg doesn't rebound in a big way. The third pairing too if Gio doesn't get the benefit of a healthy amount of load management during the season.

The whole D core is an evident weakness. Also Holberg as 3C is ideal either.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
View attachment 750333

With Timmins on LTIR. This is a potential lineup. Pontus (scouts compare me to Gainey) Holmberg on the third line is a perfect fit. He didn’t have a great preseason production wise, but he’s still solid and dependable. This also allows them to keep McMann up and not have to go through waivers. If Reeves, Gregor or Holmberg sting for a few weeks they have him available.

Minten needs to dominate in junior this year. It’s a nice story but it would be a mistake pushing him into an NHL lineup when it’s not needed.

Like it was a mistake with oreilly at 19 after a similar season in CHL of Minten??? Every player are different but the only thing i know, since rookies tournment minten and knies had been probably best leafs player and had a much higher impact than anyone else of leafs bottom 6. Hes a least deserve a 9 game try... and if what we saw continu, they are not any good reason to not keep him if hes already the best player available by far.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
It's pretty clear that defense is our weakness and we all know Treliving is a gm that focus on big mobile defencemen. Don't be surprised to see a move made early in the season to bring some size on the backend.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

I think people just overracting... honestly i prefer that D than last season D

When dallas reach stanley cup

4 goal 21 points in 26 game

Last 4 playoff all leafs D outside of rielly
8 goal 29 points in 30 playoffs game.

If your d are not producing come playoff time... dont be surprising than all your offensive been affect led and struggling

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Take it easy. People are losing their minds right now.

There will likely be some shifts in personale, demotions, promotions, and heathy scratches.

I think Domi is a bit lost right now, but I know they're to find a spot for him so that he and the team can succeed.

I think Robertson will likely come up and play 3rd line minutes.

I think Reaves will be a healthy scratch some nights.

Minton is probably the root problem right now for Toronto. He's either keeping Kampf from being on the 3rd line C, keeping Domi from being the 3rd line C, or he's preventing Holmberg from being the 4th line C. Once Minton is scratched we shall see positive changes for Toronto.

I don't think Toronto's defense is a work of art. It's more like a work in progress. I think the key to TOR's defensively issues point to Giordano, Liljegren, and McCabe. All three are miscast. Gio should be Toronto's number 7 D now. God love him, but he needs to step down. Liljegren and McCabe are not top 4 defenders. I'm sorry. They are not. I don't know who the answer is. I am not sure anyone on the Marlies can play in the top 4 . Is the answer Timmins or Kokkonen?

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Take it easy. People are losing their minds right now.

There will likely be some shifts in personale, demotions, promotions, and heathy scratches.

I think Domi is a bit lost right now, but I know they're to find a spot for him so that he and the team can succeed.

I think Robertson will likely come up and play 3rd line minutes.

I think Reaves will be a healthy scratch some nights.

Minton is probably the root problem right now for Toronto. He's either keeping Kampf from being on the 3rd line C, keeping Domi from being the 3rd line C, or he's preventing Holmberg from being the 4th line C. Once Minton is scratched we shall see positive changes for Toronto.

I don't think Toronto's defense is a work of art. It's more like a work in progress. I think the key to TOR's defensively issues point to Giordano, Liljegren, and McCabe. All three are miscast. Gio should be Toronto's number 7 D now. God love him, but he needs to step down. Liljegren and McCabe are not top 4 defenders. I'm sorry. They are not. I don't know who the answer is. I am not sure anyone on the Marlies can play in the top 4 . Is the answer Timmins or Kokkonen?
A shakeup is definitely needed. Minten will have a bright NHL future. His floor is a 4C as early as next year but he should get sent back to Juniors this year. I would try Domi at 3C for now but that position will likely need to be upgraded at the TDL Our biggest need is a shutdown 2-3D. We should try this for a while:

Knies - Matthews - Nylander
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Domi - Robertson
Holmberg/Mcmann - Kampf - Gregor
Reaves

Rielly - Brodie
Mccabe - Liljigren
Giordano - Klingberg

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Bertuzzi - Matthews - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - Marner
Domi - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
Gregor - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Giordano - Klingberg

Woll - Samsonov

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I'd go with:

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Domi - Tavares - Nylander
Bertuzzi - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
Gregor- Kampf - Reaves

• Minten is one for the future. I think he has great tools, but he isn't quite physically ready for the NHL level. I'd rather send him down, let him dominate the W and play in the WJC.
  • Holmberg has looked NHL ready for quite some time. I think having his versatility and speed in the lineup gives us a lot of line combinations.
  • Domi has not looked sharp thus far. Pairing him with the best duo thus far this year in Nylander/Tavares, might help him regain some confidence.
  • Knies moving him to line 1 gives us a more balanced lineup. Also, he's evidently been a good player, things will come. Him being a third wheel with Matthews and Marner would be huge.
  • 4th line: Look I know it hasn't been great, but at the end of the day, with Kampf contract and limited flexibility, you gotta think it stays the same way. I found Reaves to be good in the first 3, not so great yesterday. Gregor brings a lot of speed, I could see him moving to line 3 in this potential lineup.
  • Others worth mentioning: Nick Robertson has been an absolute force in the AHL, he's been the marlies best forward this year. I'd bring him up, but the only issue is a 3c is a bigger need then another scoring winger. Bobby McMann similarly to robertson, brings a lot of scoring but his position makes it difficult to justify calling him up.
Rielly - Brodie
Mccabe - Liljegren
Giordano - Klingberg
  • Rielly has been our best dman, pairing him with Brodie makes sense as it has worked in the past.
  • Giordano - Klingberg. Look Giordano isn't getting younger, that being said he is reliable in his own end and is still a solid option. I think he's the prime baby sitter for Klingberg's defensive play. Similarly, having someone like Gio instead of Mccabe allows Klingberg to take more chances.
  • McCabe - Liljegren. Look I haven't liked McCabe, but I think pairing him a guy like Liljegren makes sense. It allows him to make his big hit, while Lilly stays back.

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
Domi-Matthews-Bertuzzi
Robertson-Tavares-Marner
Knies-Nylander-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Lily
Giordano-Klingberg

I would like to see something like this tried. Willie has looked great on the wing this year but I’m curious to see him get an extended look at C. This lineup will also give an opportunity to get our “outside the core” guys going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad