New law suit

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I know you're being facetious but the kids he's still coaching and their parents would argue otherwise.
in all seriousness, I do think it shows that he sucks in all aspects in that he has been unable to secure a legit coaching job (per eliteprospects) for 2 separate 4 year periods. after being an OHL head coach. get him outta here

Reactions: rangersblues

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
What exactly is carcillo hoping to gain from this lawsuit? If these allegations are true, they occurred many years ago, who is he hoping to see punished? The OHL is just going to say that it doesn’t happen in this day and age.

He wants awareness, reformed changes in regards to policies and procedures in how organizations will look at hazing/bullying etc.. He just wants it to be brought to a brighter light most people understand certain things may happen to rookies but what's being mentioned is disgusting and vile. The OHL probably shouldn't say it doesn't happen because unless you believe the players turned into altar boys after 2016-2017 then you're living in quite the world right now.

Reactions: StormWatcher

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
He wants awareness, reformed changes in regards to policies and procedures in how organizations will look at hazing/bullying etc.. He just wants it to be brought to a brighter light most people understand certain things may happen to rookies but what's being mentioned is disgusting and vile. The OHL probably shouldn't say it doesn't happen because unless you believe the players turned into altar boys after 2016-2017 then you're living in quite the world right now.
It will be very hard to for more players to come out and speak on it like that kid from Kitchener did. It is also tough to lay blame on anyone because that kid never said anything about it when it happened. I would hope that the system now would make the kids feel comfortable to speak up if they felt uncomfortable but I guess that may not be true, and it may not ever be true.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
The content of the law suit isn't that surprising to me. I don't think that the worst sexual/physical aspects of the hazing described is typical these days - I would say that pervasive drug use is a huge problem on many teams that isn't discussed enough.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The reality is we don't know what has gone on behind the scenes with respect to behaviour modification surrounding the culture of hazing in the OHL.

I'm sure we all understand hazing is part of the culture. That said, it can be realized in many ways and can escalate into unacceptable behaviour if left unchecked. We've all seen and heard instances of these behaviours.

It is very possible the league is not doing enough to address this issue. It is also very possible it is a few "bad apples" that are causing issolated incidents.

In my mind, lawsuit will help address this problem by bringing it more out in the open. That exposure alone may have a positive effect.

I don't think this lawsuit is about guys getting paid and signing non-disclosure agreements. At least I hope that is not the case.

Reactions: rangersblues

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
I don't think this lawsuit is about guys getting paid and signing non-disclosure agreements. At least I hope that is not the case.
I’m skeptical, if it’s about promoting change then why not come out and tell your story and insist on shedding light on the problems. Getting lawyers involved reeks of a cash grab

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I’m skeptical, if it’s about promoting change then why not come out and tell your story and insist on shedding light on the problems. Getting lawyers involved reeks of a cash grab
Getting lawyers involved puts a legal stamp on things to ensure changes are made and the people who committed these acts are not allowed to participate in Hockey again. Think Graham James

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Let's be perfectly clear here it sounds nice that the CHL has stepped up to fix this longstanding and dark problem in the CHL community and made this statement to help kids in the future be respected as they should be. But let's not forget that this problem has been a hidden blemish in across the CHL for years and in no way will be a quick fix.

Yes there's a ton of work to get this thing sorted out and allow for a standard of conduct in place to make sure these incidents cease to happen again. A review committee sounds nice for PR but my question is what and how far will they actually go to put enforcement in place for future situations?

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Getting lawyers involved puts a legal stamp on things to ensure changes are made and the people who committed these acts are not allowed to participate in Hockey again. Think Graham James
That’s one guy being charged with crimes, not a class action lawsuit against a hockey league. I’m not saying this suit is for the wrong reasons, I’m just saying it doesn’t sound like it is.

Otto

Let's be perfectly clear here it sounds nice that the CHL has stepped up to fix this longstanding and dark problem in the CHL community and made this statement to help kids in the future be respected as they should be. But let's not forget that this problem has been a hidden blemish in across the CHL for years and in no way will be a quick fix.

Yes there's a ton of work to get this thing sorted out and allow for a standard of conduct in place to make sure these incidents cease to happen again. A review committee sounds nice for PR but my question is what and how far will they actually go to put enforcement in place for future situations?

At one point this went deeper than the CHL also .. it's a been a hockey culture thing, not a CHL culture thing. I'm going back to the 80's here, but I had friends who played Junior in Burlington , Grimsby, and Flamborough and the hazing that went on was horrible. In contrast I played high level baseball for a number of years and i played football in high school and it was non-existent on the teams I played for .. perhaps it happened elsewhere... but to this day I've never heard of it.

So the question remains.. why does it have to be this way?

Reactions: Finster8

Otto

That’s one guy being charged with crimes, not a class action lawsuit against a hockey league. I’m not saying this suit is for the wrong reasons, I’m just saying it doesn’t sound like it is.

because in this case it's not just one guy/one team.. it's multiple guys/multiple teams.. which speaks to the culture of the leagues as a whole.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

Reading the press release it states that a committee chair will be announced in the upcoming weeks. Then the committee is formed? And they will have their report ready for the league before the 2020/2021 season starts ( September??). Sounds like just enough time to give high-5's all around and then head out on the PR trail. You would think an in depth review, talking to league officials, owners, team staff, players, parents, agents would take months, maybe a year? Has PR written all over it. Dear CHL - it is time to take this serious!!!

Reactions: Otto

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Of course its PR. They need to get something visibly done before the next rookie party. Can you imagine what would happen if there were further reports of hazing this fall and the league did nothing visible beforehand?

Reactions: Tarantula

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Reading the press release it states that a committee chair will be announced in the upcoming weeks. Then the committee is formed? And they will have their report ready for the league before the 2020/2021 season starts ( September??). Sounds like just enough time to give high-5's all around and then head out on the PR trail. You would think an in depth review, talking to league officials, owners, team staff, players, parents, agents would take months, maybe a year? Has PR written all over it. Dear CHL - it is time to take this serious!!!

A PR statement for sure.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Of course its PR. They need to get something visibly done before the next rookie party. Can you imagine what would happen if there were further reports of hazing this fall and the league did nothing visible beforehand?

And we have a winner! This is exactly it, just look at the timing of the announced report findings. When you investigate something, it has it's own timeline. Deadlines are for assignments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad