New law suit

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
CTV had the details, too...

OHL won't investigate hazing allegations by former Kitchener Ranger

It looks like Guest didn't want to pursue criminal investigation.

It seems like the young man just wanted to let the public know that hazing is alive in the CHL. Was their outside pressure? Or just tired of it and wanting to move on?
Glad that we have a network of people who are going to try and stop this senseless shite from getting worse and putting stringent penalties to those who continue to not adhere to the rules.
As long as their are teenagers that lack discipline or management that looks the other way this will definitely not be the last of hazing.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Here is an article about the latest filings on the hazing allegations. Really sickening to read.

Most of the allegations are from a much earlier era. I think there is still some bad stuff that goes on - but I doubt it's currently at the level of some of the stuff described in this article. I do think that there is drug use that goes on with players today that probably wouldn't find its way into the current lawsuit...but that's for another thread.

Reactions: BadgerBruce

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
This thread should just be Re-titled “Class Action Lawsuits,” since there are at least four (6 if you view the minimum wage suit as three distinct actions).

The minimum wage lawsuits are not wrapped up. The three judges did not sign off on the consolidated settlement agreement, finding the settlement terms were overly broad and gave the CHL too much protection from liability for conduct that falls outside the claims alleged in the suit. So unless the parties agree to new language in the Release section, the next step is court dates in the respective jurisdictions.

As well, the CHL faces at least 3 other class actions —concussions, violation of Canadian Federal anti-competition/US Sherman Anti-trust laws, and the one discussed here, alleged abuse.

Regardless of where one stands on the merits of these cases, most people agree that they are big fat elephants in the CHL room that are not going to magically disappear tomorrow morning.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
This thread should just be Re-titled “Class Action Lawsuits,” since there are at least four (6 if you view the minimum wage suit as three distinct actions).

The minimum wage lawsuits are not wrapped up. The three judges did not sign off on the consolidated settlement agreement, finding the settlement terms were overly broad and gave the CHL too much protection from liability for conduct that falls outside the claims alleged in the suit. So unless the parties agree to new language in the Release section, the next step is court dates in the respective jurisdictions.

As well, the CHL faces at least 3 other class actions —concussions, violation of Canadian Federal anti-competition/US Sherman Anti-trust laws, and the one discussed here, alleged abuse.

Regardless of where one stands on the merits of these cases, most people agree that they are big fat elephants in the CHL room that are not going to magically disappear tomorrow morning.

The minimum wage lawsuits are done I think. They were paid out by each team already

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
The Lawyers out there sure have found a goldmine of litigation. It all makes me sick to be honest.

Reactions: Buttsy

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
The Lawyers out there sure have found a goldmine of litigation. It all makes me sick to be honest.

Im sure its contingency based and if they win (I doubt that they would, but who knows), the lawyers will make all the cash.

I wish Westhead would report how much money the Lawyers (doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds him) and financers got in the CHL Class Action settlement vs the players. Players obviously were 3rd on that list.

Reactions: PuckLife

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA

Until it does cross the line and isn't fun. I don't think many people have issues with collecting pucks and packing the bus, there have been instances where things went beyond that.

It's not just JR Hockey, these hazing incidents can happen anywhere, other sports and at the collegiate level. Even lower level minor hockey programs have had a few bad apples.

I don't agree with painting the entire hockey culture world with a ugly brush but when something does happen it needs to be brought out and dealt with, not hiding it for years. This is not unique to hockey, it's not even unique to sports.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
At the end of the day, these lawsuits are less abut being financially compensated civilly and more about ensuring change happens.

I’d like to think I am confident that the appropriate changes have been implemented but the reality is there is a culture that is and will continue to be difficult to change.

In fairness, in a culture where winning is the key and the emphasis is not on FairPlay, teams and players are motivated differently than the average public person participating in sport. There is a completely different mentality. This shift in culture needs to happen in the very young age groups and permeate through the upper levels over time.

It is great that they are focussed on the CHL Member teams but the reality is the coaches and team officials in youth hockey are as important as changing culture as they are at the highest levels. Those kids grow and develop within a culture that starts for many at age 6, not 16.

I am 100% behind fair competition. I believe in wins and losses. I don’t favour fostering fragile temperament. That is not the issue. It isn’t about tempering masculinity amongst young boys. It is about properly focusing it and mentoring them in a manner in which they maintain their level of competition amongst each other while also respecting each other for the efforts they all contribute towards the team. I believe this is the area that needs most attention and focus. Youth coaches need to continue to develop within the programs afforded to them. Hopefully, over this next generation, they can build stronger young men both mentally and physically so we can rid our sports of this current culture that has harmed so many people.

I purposely left the ladies out of this post because I am not familiar with the challenges in female sports. I assume there are some similarities and also some other sick and twisted issues young ladies need to deal with that are separate from the young boys but we cannot lose focus on the issues surrounding female sports as well.

I sometimes wonder how we managed to build such a strong contingent of hockey athletes and then shift focus to how many more we could have developed had it not been for the culture that has held so many back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad