Post-Game Talk: New Jersey Devils vs Washington Capitals: Really Late edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think the second and third period are closer to what we can expect against the better teams this year. It's unlikely the Devils score seemingly at will once the intensity ramps up but if the team stays energetic and hangs tough they will catch a lot of teams asleep at the wheel early in the season. A bonus is that the goaltending looks improved and that will help the defense significantly.

Reactions: ForeverJerseyGirl

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought for sure that it would take me quite a bit longer to figure out the multi-quote feature on this new board. Not too bad.

Here's what the zone exits looked like. I really hope they don't keep Butcher, Mueller or Santini off the team in favor of Lovejoy. They've all been so good throughout preseason.

The really sad part is that while Loov probably isn't anything more than an AHL defenseman, he's managed to play pretty decently in the games without Lovejoy. He's managed to look more than halfway competent in these games.
When I was an Admin here the like feature was something I kept pushing for, glad they finally came around.
Every so often, I've seen a post where I really wish there was a like feature for. I'm glad we have one now. Still not digging this white background though.

Reactions: Rebel Devil

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I
The really sad part is that while Loov probably isn't anything more than an AHL defenseman, he's managed to play pretty decently in the games without Lovejoy. He's managed to look more than halfway competent in these games.

Loov doesn't look bad, but he does a lot of things that make his partner or the other players on the ice look bad. Poor passes to his teammates, not taking away time and space well, passing to an opponent under pressure, etc.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Very impressive showing.

Just send Loov, Rooney and Coleman to Bingo.

Like I've said previously, if we had Trav in this lineup I'd be very optimistic.

With that, chances for youth are there.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
After this game I officially need to pick myself up a Hischier Halifax jersey. The hard part is, which do I want? Red or Green? They're both so beautiful

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Now I'm having trouble with the quoting again. It won't come up for some reason. BLAH!

@ DD - I thought Coleman was good, I'd be fine with keeping him as a 4th line ONLY guy. The minute Hynes puts him with Hischier, Zacha, Palmieri, Hall, etc, like he did with that shit head Kalinin, I'll be irate.

Loov was fine, but probably an AHL guy.

Rooney still sucks, not even sure why he was brought back again. He's a dummy, with very little hockey IQ. There hasn't been a worse forward to lace them for us since Rod Pelley. Even Kalinin was better than him, that's how much suck he brings.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Now I'm having trouble with the quoting again. It won't come up for some reason. BLAH!

@ DD - I thought Coleman was good, I'd be fine with keeping him as a 4th line ONLY guy. The minute Hynes puts him with Hischier, Zacha, Palmieri, Hall, etc, like he did with that shit head Kalinin, I'll be irate.

Loov was fine, but probably an AHL guy.

Rooney still sucks, not even sure why he was brought back again. He's a dummy, with very little hockey IQ. There hasn't been a worse forward to lace them for us since Rod Pelley. Even Kalinin was better than him, that's how much suck he brings.

If Boyle can play it's just better to have Coleman in Bingo. Blake struggles at the blue lines with turnovers and failed clears.

I really didn't like Loov tonight.
He's a good AHL player but 7th or 8th NHLer.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LOL I noticed a bad word that I had typed was not filtered out, like on the old board. LOL.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Just want to point something out. So I know a lot of people say preseason means nothing, and jokingly point to the fact that the Avs last year went 6-0, but had a horrible regular season. That Avs team was just bad, even in the preseason and kind of luck out finishing undefeated.

Avs for-against shot totals last preseason:

30-28, 20-31, 22-34, 19-30, 20-28, 25-27. Total of 136/314 shots, or 43.3% (kind of a crude possession metric).

Devils for-against shot totals this preseason:

36-30 (W), 29-29 (OTL), 32-29 (W), 33-18 (W), 25-45 (L), 33-23 (W). Total of 188/362 shots, or 51.9%. If you ignore that 25-45 game against the Islanders that had mostly AHLers and none of the top forward talent in it, it's 163/292 shots, or 55.8%.

So yea, the pre-season should be taken with a grain of salt, but at the same time there is something to be excited about. Especially with what the team did tonight against a team that was icing the majority of their normal lineup while our team did not have Palms or Greene playing.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think we could be decent, if Hynes can get them to keep playing somewhat of a possession game. Might be hard with certain sieves in the lineup, who were not around for a couple of these more dominant performances.

Cory probably had a better preseason this year than he usually has, outside of that first year when he allowed like 1 goal in 3.5 games or something. Last October seemed to be his best as a Devil, then it was all downhill from there. The only bad goal he allowed this preseason was probably that Kreider goal. I didn't really like the rebound tonight on the goal allowed, but I usually don't ding on rebounds, unless they're horribly bad. He usually is square to those ones and absorbs them.

I think the odds favor him returning to what he was prior to last November, and if he does, it will be like adding a #1 defenseman to the team.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Wood could really benefit from working with a guy like zubrus, if you could add that element to he's game he could be a very good player.

I know we play a new style and that looks like it's working but don't you think we need a player that can work the boards?

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
They were amazing that first period. I really like that although they didn't score any other goals after the four, they only gave up one. I just see the dynamics on defense changing once Greene and LJ are back in the lineup. Better or worse, can't say, slower for sure.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
They were amazing that first period. I really like that although they didn't score any other goals after the four, they only gave up one. I just see the dynamics on defense changing once Greene and LJ are back in the lineup. Better or worse, can't say, slower for sure.

Likely not better. It will probably slow things down and turn the transition into more of a dump and chase as opposed to a quick transition out of the D zone with speed.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I'm definitely not going to raise my expectations too high but I think it's also 100% safe for us to start feeling optimistic about the team again. It's finally starting to come together. There is legit talent on the roster now and while it may not translate to a playoff contender just yet, the Devils are well on their way. What Shero and Co. have been able to do here in just 3 off-seasons is absolutely incredible. Can't discount the good luck we had being able to draft Nico but this franchise was due for some good luck. This is honestly the first time since 2011 that I'm legitimately excited for a season to start. No matter what the record ends at in April, I think this is going to be a really enjoyable season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad