GDT: New Jersey Devils vs Washington Capitals - 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I dont think Holtby is as bad as you do, but I dont think hes great either. Solid goalie who will get the job done, but nothing special

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I dont think Holtby is as bad as you do, but I dont think hes great either. Solid goalie who will get the job done, but nothing special

I don't think he's bad either. You summed him up PERFECTLY.

He's anywhere from a top 16-23 goaltender IMO.

This was still the easiest shutout all year against us. The one in Vancouver was on par. M

Jake Allen had to work harder in his shutout, and Anderson MUCH harder. Forgot who else shut us out off the top of my head. There's one more I'm forgetting.

Burakovsky95*

Welcome! I've been awaiting you ! Told you they'd be in here.

Explain him being benched for Grubauer last year? I remember him getting a lot of **** on your board during that time as well.

And why the need to trade for Halak?

Maybe before Holtby retires, he'll beat Lundqvist and the Rangers in a playoff series.

I'm betting on him and the rest of your team getting his jock strap fed to him again.

Because Adam Oates and George McPhee are idiots? There is a reason they are no longer employed by this organization. One of those reasons being that Oates forced out our prior goaltending coach and basically made himself the new one.

He beat Tim Thomas in a series and putting the New York losses purely on him is just plain idiotic. His playoff numbers (2.04, .931) are elite.

To answer my previous question. Holtby is 8th in front of Price, Lehtonen, Quick, Anderson, Niemi, Howard, Varlamov, Bishop, Halak, Crawford, Smith, Hiller, Fleury, Miller, etc.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
underachieving . . . ? I don't know. Compare the two clubs' rosters tonight, that pretty much dictated the result. We don't have Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, even Orpik et al. - and the middle of their line up is stronger than we are also. While we have Bernier and Tootoo and Sislo and a few quite older players who were playing back to back games after a real big effort last night.

When they got the first goal tonight you felt it was over. The only way we could win - like last night - was to score first. And in fact that's why we won last night - yet when we got up on Tampa Bay both goals were good bounces last night - Henrique's came off the backboard in front of an open net; and Elias' was a beautiful spin o rama move but a knuckleball that came off the defenseman's stick. If we'd got the same bounces tonight, we might have held on for an overtime who knows. But that's going to be the story this season we had better get used to it.

And of course, we are not used to it. The fans in NJ are used to winning. We are in year 3 of the seven Biblical lean years all the same.

if you don't think Elias and Zajac combined can be better than 21 points in 56 games and being -22 in that span I don't know what to tell you. If you don't think Ryder can produce more than 0 goals in 20 games, another thing I don't know what to tell you.

i hate the talent excuse, we all know the roster sucks but this is terrible. 8 wins in 30 games, is that all it's capable of? I don't want a coach that gets so little out of a team handling the young defenseman. And if the Devils are 8 wins in 30 games bad then Lou should be fired right on the spot. Lou should lose his job either way but that's not the point.

I don't care about winning, I want McDavid but forgive me for wanting guys like Larsson playing 20 minutes a game instead of guys like Harrold. It's super embarrassing the way this organization has went since the finals run and it will set them back years if they don't change soon but who knows when that will happen.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Because Adam Oates and George McPhee are idiots? There is a reason they are no longer employed by this organization. One of those reasons being that Oates forced out our prior goaltending coach and basically made himself the new one.

He beat Tim Thomas in a series and putting the New York losses purely on him is just plain idiotic. His playoff numbers (2.04, .931) are elite.

To answer my previous question. Holtby is 8th in front of Price, Lehtonen, Quick, Anderson, Niemi, Howard, Varlamov, Bishop, Halak, Crawford, Smith, Hiller, Fleury, Miller, etc.

I do agree that McPhee and Oates are idiots, to be fair.

And the playoff losses were definitely not on him, but an elite playoff goalie? Let's pump the brakes, he's played 3 playoff series in his career.

Mike Smith has even more "elite numbers" in the playoffs. Is he an elite playoff goalie too?:laugh:

And most of these other goalies have a larger sample of games played. Which means more games where they get shelled. Would anyone really rather have Holtby than Most of the guys you mentioned?

I'd rather have him than Smith, Hiller, and Miller. Only cause Miller is up there in age now. I can understand debating he's better than Lehtonen (I don't think so though) or Howard, Varlamov, and Bishop.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
He never had a chance to succeed because the lines were a jumbled mess that never played together once this year.

Of course they completely sputtered.

It would be nice if Henrique and everyone else had a chance to develop chemistry with line mates as much as possible given the carousel of injuries (especially after a rare win), but Pete seems to prefer to run names through a blender to come up with his line-up.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
if you don't think Elias and Zajac combined can be better than 21 points in 56 games and being -22 in that span I don't know what to tell you. If you don't think Ryder can produce more than 0 goals in 20 games, another thing I don't know what to tell you.

i hate the talent excuse, we all know the roster sucks but this is terrible. 8 wins in 30 games, is that all it's capable of? I don't want a coach that gets so little out of a team handling the young defenseman. And if the Devils are 8 wins in 30 games bad then Lou should be fired right on the spot. Lou should lose his job either way but that's not the point.

I don't care about winning, I want McDavid but forgive me for wanting guys like Larsson playing 20 minutes a game instead of guys like Harrold. It's super embarrassing the way this organization has went since the finals run and it will set them back years if they don't change soon but who knows when that will happen.

It needs to happen tomorrow.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

i hate the talent excuse, we all know the roster sucks but this is terrible. 8 wins in 30 games, is that all it's capable of? I don't want a coach that gets so little out of a team handling the young defenseman.

That's the thing. People complain the roster's just bad but even for what they are there's underachievement up and down the roster starting with Cory and going on out to the forwards, and the defensemen get mismanaged in any number of ways.

Burakovsky95*

I do agree that McPhee and Oates are idiots, to be fair.

And the playoff losses were definitely not on him, but an elite playoff goalie? Let's pump the brakes, he's played 3 playoff series in his career.

Mike Smith has even more "elite numbers" in the playoffs. Is he an elite playoff goalie too?:laugh:

And most of these other goalies have a larger sample of games played. Which means more games where they get shelled. Would anyone really rather have Holtby than Most of the guys you mentioned?

I'd rather have him than Smith, Hiller, and Miller. Only cause Miller is up there in age now. I can understand debating he's better than Lehtonen (I don't think so though) or Howard. Maybe even Fluery too.

Didn't say he was an elite playoff goalie. The stats he's put up so far are elite. I would think a 25 year old goaltender like him would be preferred to some of those guys.

I'm not trying to say he's like this ridiculous 5 time future Vezina winner. I just think you need to kinda know more about the idiocy that parts of his backstory contain. He's a top 15 goaltender in my mind and obviously towards the latter half off that 15.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I predict Larrson back in next game, Gelinas comes out.

Petey Jr won't though, despite him causing the tying goal last night.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I predict Larrson back in next game, Gelinas comes out.

Petey Jr won't though, despite him causing the tying goal last night.

Harrold played goal #2 worse tonight than anything he did last night, chasing someone behind the net while Backstrom got wide open behind him in the slot. Greene going over to cover Ovechkin as he was falling was also lol-worthy.

I think he's in for Hegelson because of the two shutouts in three games they'll want to ride it out with Gelly a little more. Especially without the golden boy (Severson) to play PP. Who would play PP with Gelly out of the lineup...Zid/Merrill/Harrold/?

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
That's the thing. People complain the roster's just bad but even for what they are there's underachievement up and down the roster starting with Cory and going on out to the forwards, and the defensemen get mismanaged in any number of ways.

Cory's been fine. My god.

And no I don't think Ryder and Elias can produce more than what they offering with how much they are being relied to do it. Ryder has no one to play with, Brunner/Clowe/Josefson come on. Elias is 38 guys, what do you expect? He should not be relied on as an offensive leader, it's not fair to him. Even Selanne had Getzlaf/Perry.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

And no I don't think Ryder and Elias can produce more than what they offering with how much they are being relied to do it. Ryder has no one to play with, Brunner/Clowe/Josefson come on. Elias is 38 guys, what do you expect? He should not be relied on as an offensive leader, it's not fair to him. Even Selanne had Getzlaf/Perry.

Elias and Jagr are at the end of the line. None of their production is shocking. Ryder you can say underachieved. Zajac is a huge zero and it's been like that for awhile.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Cory's been a JAG (just another guy) this year, you want more from a guy you gave up a top ten pick and a long-term deal to.

And you can excuse one or two forwards' lack of production but when it's systematic and also involving non-35+'s like Zajac then it's a problem.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Holtby's problem is his consistency, right now he is on a hot stretch, or maybe this is the Korn effect, time will tell

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Back up has played 3 games. Sample size and some perspective is needed here.

Yeah I think we're jumping the shark as a fanbase with the godding up of Kinkaid here. Even my former seatmates at the arena want to trade Cory to start Kinkaid.

It does worry me that it seems like the Devils' system doesn't mesh with Cory. It's almost like they're STILL dependent on having a puckhandling goalie to create offense. It's like the Mets building Citi Field dimensions to be perfectly opposite of what their stars (Wright/Reyes) did best. You need to tailor the system to Cory like the Rangers do with Henrik. Not try to pigenhole him into a system that doesn't work.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah I think we're jumping the shark as a fanbase with the godding up of Kinkaid here. Even my former seatmates at the arena want to trade Cory to start Kinkaid.

It does worry me that it seems like the Devils' system doesn't mesh with Cory. It's almost like they're STILL dependent on having a puckhandling goalie to create offense. It's like the Mets building Citi Field dimensions to be perfectly opposite of what their stars (Wright/Reyes) did best. You need to tailor the system to Cory like the Rangers do with Henrik. Not try to pigenhole him into a system that doesn't work.

There is zero reason for it though. Half the defense is brand new and they played solid D last year for cory. Scoring was a seperate issue.

They are just playing like asshats and cory is not playing a confident game right now. A lot of goals against happen because of failed clears and pressure building up before it blows.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007

It's got nothing to do with the system. The system is we can't score goals. We don't have the talent and it's that simple. Every goal scored against is precious because we can't score any ever. It makes it awfully hard to be a goaltender on this team because so rarely do you get bailed out ever.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Who gives a **** about Brayden Holtby? This franchise is in shambles, I don't give a rat's ass about who the other team's goalie is or what his modified quasi-linear relative CORSI-adjusted work rate per Saturday in October is.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory has let in a lot of bad goals this year. He wasn't allowing this many last year.

Maybe I was a little hard on him on that second goal tonight, but there's been a lot of bad ones this year.

Not quite as much recently though.

MountainGoat

Cory's been a JAG (just another guy) this year, you want more from a guy you gave up a top ten pick and a long-term deal to.

And you can excuse one or two forwards' lack of production but when it's systematic and also involving non-35+'s like Zajac then it's a problem.

lol Zajac, there are no more excuses for Zajac if a guy like Gomez can come in and produce more than he has

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad