GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Detroit Red Wings

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
A blow out to BOS and MIN should be enough to get him fired.

Boston are playing well and have a far better team than we do, they pretty much always beat us anyway so that shouldn't be an issue.

Minnesota will skate circles around us. Losing the next two shouldn't be too difficult with this roster, especially if none of the injured guys come back :laugh:

I imagine the following back to back against Washington/Colorado might be quite an eye sore too, another two fast skilled teams. Honestly i don't see us picking up any wins for a while with performances like this, the team looks like they're mailing it in.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Well it kind of has been for this franchise lol...one win in fifteen years. We won more games in Detroit in one week of '95 than we have in the last fifteen years.

Eh our bad streak in that building also includes many good seasons - a bit overboard to extrapolate that to the present state of the franchise. Besides, I'll gladly take those 4 wins in exchange for those regular season losses every day and twice on Sunday.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah it's the sad truth. Elias needs to go if he wishes to a winner. Jagr to a winner. Zidlicky to a winner. Salvador to a winners. Zubrus. Bruner.

I would keep

Gio
Henrique
Zajac ( can't trade em all)
Josefson
Camm
Boucher
Rutuu
Sislo
Mattau

Start there gotta get some young nhl ready players back for the old guys so we can field a team. And just suck for a couple years

I don't think you could realistically trade Elias or Zubrus this year and Brunner's not worth much anyway.

It is getting to the point where Lou needs to pull a Boston Red Sox and blow up one season to make big moves to position the team for a run next year. It's just not what he does though.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
JL went 29-17-3 with the following roster.

Kovalchuk, Greene, Zajac, ROlston, Tallinder, Zubrus, Fayne, Palmieri, Elias, Salmela, White, Volchenkov, Pelley, Clarkson, Mair, Arnott, Tedenby, and Zharkov.

The roster was so bad that Kovy was playing 27+ mins some nights.

This team is giving up way too many shots and goals. Need a guy that can develop our defense while making us competitive.

i'd honestly take Kovy and that garbage over what we have now

he won games by himself

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012
Watched Nets-Knicks over the Devils, something I would have laughed at saying 3-4 years ago.

There is little enjoyment to gain out of these games, anger has turned to apathy.

Feel bad for the poor souls who have season tickets to watch this dreck, Devils won't be getting more of my money until **** changes.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I don't think you could realistically trade Elias or Zubrus this year and Brunner's not worth much anyway.

It is getting to the point where Lou needs to pull a Boston Red Sox and blow up one season to make big moves to position the team for a run next year. It's just not what he does though.

NHL FA doesn't allow a team to just blow up and be good in short amount of time.

Who are we signing next off season that would be a game changer.

A player like Kovalchuk rarely ever becomes a UFA. Hockey players seem to be a lot more loyal to their clubs and rarely leave.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Agreed and what savvy deals to people want? People on the phones with GMs that know about these savvy trades that Lou isn't making?

I'm not saying trade for some star player. Maybe dealing Zids for a pick or prospect, or selling high on Jagr, or not wasting assets on Ruutu.

I get that he is plugging holes, but part of the reason he has to plug holes with geezers is because there are no prospects to fill those holes. And there never will be until we, at some point, bite the bullet and call it what it is. A rebuild. You can't contend for the Cup every year and I think that is Lou's mentality every season. He seems to sacrifice the long term for the short. He needs to recognize that this team is not a depth player away from a contender, but an entire group of forwards away. You don't fix that in one season, and you don't fix that by trading picks for castoffs or holding on to guys that aren't in the long term plans at the expense of a decent return that could build for your future. And you certainly don't do it signing washed up FAs either.

Yes, I know a lot of these old guys aren't locked into long term contracts. And that's great because you could probably flip them at the deadline for picks or prospects. But Lou has shown time and time again that he won't do that. So what happens when all the old guys contracts run out? He either has to resign them or replace them with other old, washed up FAs.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
NHL FA doesn't allow a team to just blow up and be good in short amount of time.

A player like Kovalchuk rarely ever becomes a UFA. Hockey players seem to be a lot more loyal to their clubs and rarely leave.

The new system helps that too with contract lengths and teams that own players getting to sign them the extra year.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Didn't watch the post-game, but did he really say that? Enough of the excuses. He has used that too many times this season alone. Jesus. Enough of Deboer. I'm for real. **** PDB.

I'm starting to think that we have a legitimate chance at Eichel.

He was not using excuses at all he was actually killing the team. He basically said they sucked.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Its one thing to have a weak roster, its another when your vets don't even show up to play

I agree that a better head coach would be able to get something out of this group, even with the injuries.

They look defeated at the drop of the puck, even in the pregame skate.
Who looks like they are having fun out there?

#FIREPETE

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
This is going to be an unpopular opinion, so flame suit is on but here goes. Not sure how we compare to other fan bases, but holy crap the collective here has no problem selling franchise greats up the river when the going gets bad. We expect our players to be loyal to the team, to take the home town discount, to not go home to wherever when UFA comes a knockin'.

Patty has been a stinker for what, 12 games or so and the brain trust here wants to send him packing? Two cups, leading scorer of all time for the Devils and huge contributor for years is not enough to give him a little more rope? Really?

Maybe we're just a tough crowd in the metro area - I've witnessed Yankee fans turn on Jeter and Devils fans turn on Marty. Still see come comments (do not remember if here or on NJDevs) almost gleeful that he hasn't signed with a team yet. Absolutely disgusting. /rant

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009

Aside from Elias, all of our good ufas bailed

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bryce Salvador has as many points as Zubrus this season.

Steve Bernier has as many points and has played in only two games.

Stephen Gionta now has more points than Zubrus this year.

DeBoer threw him on the 4th line later in the game, then he turns around and uses him on the 6 on 5 with the goalie pulled. Yeah he'll be back with Elias or Jägr next game for sure.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is going to be an unpopular opinion, so flame suit is on but here goes. Not sure how we compare to other fan bases, but holy crap the collective here has no problem selling franchise greats up the river when the going gets bad. We expect our players to be loyal to the team, to take the home town discount, to not go home to wherever when UFA comes a knockin'.

Patty has been a stinker for what, 12 games or so and the brain trust here wants to send him packing? Two cups, leading scorer of all time for the Devils and huge contributor for years is not enough to give him a little more rope? Really?

Maybe we're just a tough crowd in the metro area - I've witnessed Yankee fans turn on Jeter and Devils fans turn on Marty. Still see come comments (do not remember if here or on NJDevs) almost gleeful that he hasn't signed with a team yet. Absolutely disgusting. /rant

Agreed for the most part but if we keep losing Elias might WANT to be traded at some point next year. Hell they could also have a gentleman's agreement and trade him next year and bring him back if they wanted to as well (unless he's going to retire at the end of this deal).

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Agreed for the most part but if we keep losing Elias might WANT to be traded at some point next year. Hell they could trade him next year and bring him back if they wanted to as well.

Or if we fire his favorite coach Pete.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
JL went 29-17-3 with the following roster.

Kovalchuk, Greene, Zajac, ROlston, Tallinder, Zubrus, Fayne, Palmieri, Elias, Salmela, White, Volchenkov, Pelley, Clarkson, Mair, Arnott, Tedenby, and Zharkov.

The roster was so bad that Kovy was playing 27+ mins some nights.

This team is giving up way too many shots and goals. Need a guy that can develop our defense while making us competitive.

Yep, lets not forget that mess with JMac, if Lou had pulled trigger half a month early, that team probably would have made the playoffs, an utterly amazing run, i think at some point they had 3 or 4 regulation losses in like 20 games, or something ridiculous like that. But again, the key part of that roster was 1) a gamebreaker Kovy and 2) Elias and Zubrus were younger and better than what we see now, particularly Zubrus fell off a cliff a season or so ago and never got back to anything he was years before. Elias seemed to hit that point now. I wasn't a hater of Tallinder then, nor Volchenkov the last few seasons. i didn't think they were amazing, but they did a better job than how some characterized them....

In retrospect, I still think this team could use Volchies' presence for PK and general lane blocking. Doesn't look that bad in comparison, despite our success with Severson. I'm not sure how Severson will last the grind 82 game season, we shall see. Merril has been "OK" since the first hot few games, Larsson has been "OK" so far when he was let out of the dogpound. Not sold on Gelinas, and Salvador dropped off a lot. Zids is Zids, same Zids as the cup run.

i'd honestly take Kovy and that garbage over what we have now

he won games by himself

I don't know how the Devils will ever acquire a talent like that without giving up the farm. I think they actually got a break when they gave Atlanta some hand me downs (except for Oduya). Will have to settle for some solid top6 guys. Maybe if they get lucky with a draft one year, but who knows.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

This place is a shell of its former self

Never was it this unbearable, not even when we had the worst start in franchise history in 2010-11 was it this bad

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA

Never was it this unbearable, not even when we had the worst start in franchise history in 2010-11 was it this bad

It's desperation. Lemaire fixed everything. Slumps and injuries can all be rationalized. The forwards look like a shell of their former selves and it's hard to see the way out. They've had their moments and maybe with Cammo, Rico and Havlat back there's a spark. As I said earlier, it's too early to just give up, but it's also hard to see how they dig out.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I do think people are overreacting a LITTLE to the Elias posts. One guy posted he should get traded to a winner 'if he wishes'. I said it wasn't happening this year (for obvious reasons). I don't think anyone actually said they wanted to trade Elias, at least in this thread though he has gotten criticism for his bad play so far.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

I think the reaction is worse than it would be because we have people routinely defending the glaring ineptitude & lack of planning on the part of management. The organization is more secretive, paranoid and misleading than Allen Dulles' CIA!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad