GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Detroit Red Wings

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I honestly would rather watch this team lose with Boucher and Matteau in the lineup instead of older players who can't contribute.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
the 2012 run was fun as hell but it might be the worst thing thats ever happened to this team

sadly you might be right. gave a false sense of hope, but at the same time the two biggest pieces of that team are long gone. so idk how to compare that in all honesty. hate to bring this up, but i so wish parise was still with the team. i have a feeling it is a completely different scenario right now if he still is.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
the 2012 run was fun as hell but it might be the worst thing thats ever happened to this team

The last few years have just been brutal for this franchise; that run + Parise & Kovalchuk jumping ship have just completely destroyed us.

Not to mention the atrocious signings we made to try and rebuild the roster in a hurry; Clowe, Ryder, Brunner etc have all been largely awful.

We just need to accept the inevitable fate and blow things up, we're going to end up like Calgary otherwise (and they still ended up having to rebuild eventually).

At least we can speed things up because we already have a solid young defensive core, solid goaltending and a ton of veteran assets we can flip for some picks this season.

Just bite the bullet and stop setting the franchise back please Lou.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Even when the forwards are all healthy the team is mediocre up front. It seriously needs a major overhaul. The problem is, we've been saying this for years.

My fear is that by the time they actually draft, develop and promote some forwards to the NHL a la the D, we will have missed the window of opportunity with the D.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
In 2012 it looked like we would at least have Kovy moving forward. Even if Parise left we still had a game breaker to build around. Now we've pretty much got nothing.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Get home from work with five minutes left

Turn on the game

Have four straight minutes with more people on the ice than them

Fail to score

Dano say we did a good job

Sounds like I didn't miss much

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Agreed. One has to wonder where this team would be if the fortunes changed during overtime of game 6 or game 7 of the Florida series.

I just can't agree with this mindset at all. It's not as if we ever had that same team back intact. I'd take Pete and his idiocy if we had Parise/Kovalchuk. Both of them going home was the worst thing that happened and set us back five years.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
The last few years have just been brutal for this franchise; that run + Parise & Kovalchuk jumping ship have just completely destroyed us.

Not to mention the atrocious signings we made to try and rebuild the roster in a hurry; Clowe, Ryder, Brunner etc have all been largely awful.

We just need to accept the inevitable fate and blow things up, we're going to end up like Calgary otherwise (and they still ended up having to rebuild eventually).

At least we can speed things up because we already have a solid young defensive core, solid goaltending and a ton of veteran assets we can flip for some picks this season.

Just bite the bullet and stop setting the franchise back please Lou.

I agree with every word you said. Great post.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
They go into the season w the likes of zajac. Elias in their top 6 plans that's a problem. Elias is no longer a star player he's a border line second line player as is zajac

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
He's a real company man. Would it really hurt to be somewhat objective and frank?

His shtick is going to wear thin real quick with the fans. He could get by with it in between periods and post game but theres no way to hide his homerism for a whole game. Tonight was nauseating.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I just can't agree with this mindset at all. It's not as if we ever had that same team back intact. I'd take Pete and his idiocy if we had Parise/Kovalchuk. Both of them going home was the worst thing that happened and set us back five years.

I hear you and I agree, but Lou is extending this every year by trying to fill holes with old, washed up FAs instead of making savvy deals and stockpiling picks. Lou has to change his philosophy. It's really remarkable how much the rags and Devils have flip flopped positions. This Devils team is so much like those underachieving, merc filled rags teams of the past that we as Devils fans never feared.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Even if we don't fire DeBoer, we absolutely need to strip that C off Salvadors chest and give it to someone else. If we won't change staff, then at least try to do something to motivate and inspire the team, perhaps a new captain could muster some enthusiasm and drive within the group we have. Plus it would mean actually being able to scratch Salvador, which at this point is probably a good idea in itself.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
that run gave a false sense of accomplishment to the front office IMO

I would guarantee that if we had lost to FLorida, Pete would not be the coach right now.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
Absolutely. But it won't happen. It doesn't matter if they lose at this point

I've never hid my dislike for the money he's making and the lack of production from him but I have to say he's far worse than I ever thought he would be at this point. He looks finished. He actually does look scratch able right now.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I hear you and I agree, but Lou is extending this every year by trying to fill holes with old, washed up FAs instead of making savvy deals and stockpiling picks. Lou has to change his philosophy. It's really remarkable how much the rags and Devils have flip flopped positions. This Devils team is so much like those underachieving, merc filled rags teams of the past that we as Devils fans never feared.

A depressingly true statement; this team is full of washed up veterans collecting pay checks at this point. Honestly the only "mercenary" guy we have that i actually like is Jagr, because he clearly actually cares despite not being as good as he once was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad