GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Detroit Red Wings

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I hear you and I agree, but Lou is extending this every year by trying to fill holes with old, washed up FAs instead of making savvy deals and stockpiling picks. Lou has to change his philosophy. It's really remarkable how much the rags and Devils have flip flopped positions. This Devils team is so much like those underachieving, merc filled rags teams of the past that we as Devils fans never feared.

All Lou's doing is plugging up holes with short-term hold-the-fort players until something better comes along. The only toxic long-term deal is Clowe (well okay at this point you could argue Zajac too) but there was always the possibility of it dissapearing on IR too.

People really overstate the Lou getting old guys meme as what's wrong with the team, are the old guys blocking younger forwards that are ready to play? Are they signed long-term? No and mostly no. Granted I hate that we're older than dirt too but what else can be done at this point? When we do sell off guys we'll be selling them off for draft picks, who may or may not make an impact in 3-5 years.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
"Tough building" LOL

Nice one Pete.

Another fun answer that I loved.

"I don't know"

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
All Lou's doing is plugging up holes with short-term hold-the-fort players until something better comes along. The only toxic long-term deal is Clowe (well okay at this point you could argue Zajac too) but there was always the possibility of it dissapearing on IR too.

People really overstate the Lou getting old guys meme as what's wrong with the team, are the old guys blocking younger forwards that are ready to play? Are they signed long-term? No and mostly no. Granted I hate that we're older than dirt too but what else can be done at this point? When we do sell off guys we'll be selling them off for draft picks, who may or may not make an impact in 3-5 years.

Agreed and what savvy deals to people want? People on the phones with GMs that know about these savvy trades that Lou isn't making?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
New Jersey Devils ‏@NHLDevils 1m1 minute ago
DeBoer: "I think the guys came in ready to try and compete. We just didn't get the job done."

I mean, would it kill him to be honest?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They competed for what, maybe ten minutes in the first and ten minutes in the third? If that's competing then Pete's telling you this team's bad.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He seriously said tough building to win in? What a lame excuse. This is a coach who's out of answers.

Well it kind of has been for this franchise lol...one win in fifteen years. We won more games in Detroit in one week of '95 than we have in the last fifteen years.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Agreed and what savvy deals to people want? People on the phones with GMs that know about these savvy trades that Lou isn't making?

Trades can't save this team, the only positive moves we can make right now are selling off the veterans/UFAs for the best futures we can get when the time is right.

It's honestly addition by subtraction at this point; a "blockbuster" move for a big name forward is only going to set us back further, we shouldn't disrupt the good youth movement we have going on the blue line.

Sell off what we can, play out the season giving the kids some minutes and experience and try to draft some talented forwards next year. Perhaps buyout Clowe in the off-season too.

I don't care about the results anymore, i don't care about trying to compete this year, i just want them to start moving in the right direction and rebuild this franchise properly before we spend the next 5 years languishing in this same pit of mediocrity.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
New Jersey Devils ‏@NHLDevils 1m1 minute ago
DeBoer: "I think the guys came in ready to try and compete. We just didn't get the job done."

I mean, would it kill him to be honest?

Do you expect him to throw his boss under the bus? That's what he would be doing if he was honest. This roster is brutal. I'll say it again for the 2nd year in a row, no one is coming in here and winning with this roster.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
Well it kind of has been for this franchise lol...one win in fifteen years. We won more games in Detroit in one week of '95 than we have in the last fifteen years.

That's a fair point. But still an excuse. He needs to have his team ready to play.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
"Tough building" LOL

Nice one Pete.

Another fun answer that I loved.

"I don't know"
Didn't watch the post-game, but did he really say that? Enough of the excuses. He has used that too many times this season alone. Jesus. Enough of Deboer. I'm for real. **** PDB.

I'm starting to think that we have a legitimate chance at Eichel.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Trades can't save this team, the only positive moves we can make right now are selling off the veterans/UFAs for the best futures we can get when the time is right.

It's honestly addition by subtraction at this point; a "blockbuster" move for a big name forward is only going to set us back further, we shouldn't disrupt the good youth movement we have going on the blue line.

Sell off what we can, play out the season giving the kids some minutes and experience and try to draft some talented forwards next year. Perhaps buyout Clowe in the off-season too.

I don't care about the results anymore, i don't care about trying to compete this year, i just want them to start moving in the right direction and rebuild this franchise properly before we spend the next 5 years languishing in this same pit of mediocrity.

Yeah it's the sad truth. Elias needs to go if he wishes to a winner. Jagr to a winner. Zidlicky to a winner. Salvador to a winners. Zubrus. Bruner.

I would keep

Gio
Henrique
Zajac ( can't trade em all)
Josefson
Camm
Boucher
Rutuu
Sislo
Mattau

Start there gotta get some young nhl ready players back for the old guys so we can field a team. And just suck for a couple years

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Blaming the 2012 Cup run for the present state of the team is laughable. Parise and Kovy went home - we probably could have survived one of them leaving, but not both. As for the recent signings, the only one looking bad is Clowe and he can be buried on LTIR or retire. Not ready to give up on Zajac yet and Cammalleri has impressed so far.

The handling of Larsson remains abysmal. Seems the board pendulum has swung back behind him after the many accusations of he being soft and having to earn his spot. I get he has to earn his way, but why is his standard completely different than anyone else on the team?

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Do you expect him to throw his boss under the bus? That's what he would be doing if he was honest. This roster is brutal. I'll say it again for the 2nd year in a row, no one is coming in here and winning with this roster.

JL went 29-17-3 with the following roster.

Kovalchuk, Greene, Zajac, ROlston, Tallinder, Zubrus, Fayne, Palmieri, Elias, Salmela, White, Volchenkov, Pelley, Clarkson, Mair, Arnott, Tedenby, and Zharkov.

The roster was so bad that Kovy was playing 27+ mins some nights.

This team is giving up way too many shots and goals. Need a guy that can develop our defense while making us competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad