GDT: New Jersey Devils 2 @ Philadelphia Flyers 5 - Oct. 20, 2018

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What Shero has done, is not be scared to trade away a pick or 2 for im their prime players.

He traded off Jagr for a 2nd and a 3rd in Feb 2015, then in June traded away a 2nd and a 3rd for Palmieri. Great use of assets. Then add in the landside Hall trade. Then a 2nd and 3rd for Johansen(who has been hurt).

But he has not been afraid to trade for help today.

I don't agree with doing it for rentals though when still rebuilding like he did with Maroon and Grabner. It's why I said I would look into trading for someone like Petry since he has 3 years. He fills a need now, and you can still trade him in 2 years if you wish to re-coup most of the assets.

Oh...and anyone saying NJ is boring, doesn't watch them. They skate and work hard and create lots of chances....at least in the games I have seen.

Well said. There's a reason he already has a Cup and Hextall hasn't won a Playoff series.

Reactions: Tripod

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It is hard for me to root against them as a fan, but honestly... If they get smacked this weekend, it’s a step closer to Hak being out.

Thing is, even if the boys play well - the goaltending has potential to lose them games very easily.

I really would explore a Simmonds trade. He has no business being re-signed, the man does nothing to drive play 5 on 5.

It's really not though. Hakstol is safe. He's not even on the hot seat.

I am not for re-signing Simmonds, but can we please stop acting like he's not a valuable player?

Reactions: klutch

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Well said. There's a reason he already has a Cup and Hextall hasn't won a Playoff series.

Wait, you are comparing Shero's record as the GM who joined the Penguins after they drafted Malkin and Crosby to Hextall's first four years as Flyers GM? :laugh:

How about comparing their records as GMs since he joined the Devils. A three and a bit year period where the Pens won twice as many Cups as they did in the eight years where Shero was their GM.

NHL.com - Stats

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yup, this sounds about right. :dunce:

87376D17-9846-436C-90DB-7AD11A820CE8.jpeg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Wait, you are comparing Shero's record as the GM who joined the Penguins after they drafted Malkin and Crosby to Hextall's first four years as Flyers GM? :laugh:

How about comparing their records as GMs since he joined the Devils. A three and a bit year period where the Pens won twice as many Cups as they did in the eight years where Shero was their GM.

NHL.com - Stats

The bottom line is that Shero made the moves necessary to get Pittsburgh over the hump. They had back-to-back Finals appearances with Shero as GM and won a Cup.

He then took over a Devils team that was a complete disaster and already has them in better shape then the Flyers team Hextall inherited which included Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Gostisbehere, Simmonds, and Schenn.

When a Hextall managed team even wins a single playoff series, we can talk about comparing him to Shero. It's not even close at the moment though. Unless there are trophies handed out for drafting only?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Shero was one unfortunate collapse by Detroit away from completely wasting the prime years of Crosby and Malkin. The fact that a new GM came in and immediately won two Cups says an awful lot.

You're putting a lot of emphasis on a season that's half a dozen games old to say the Devils are in better shape. They also started off last season very strong, only to end up 1 solitary point behind the Flyers. And like the Flyers, they also got destroyed in the first round. When Shero's Devils manage to win a single playoff round then we can say he's got them to a level Hextall hasn't managed with the only team he has been a GM of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim was 3rd in ES minutes last game.
If the PP2 played more his minutes would rise.
But he's unlikely to play a lot of PK when Morin and Myers settle in. So PK minutes shouldn't be a big deal.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Shero was one unfortunate collapse by Detroit away from completely wasting the prime years of Crosby and Malkin. The fact that a new GM came in and immediately won two Cups says an awful lot.

You're putting a lot of emphasis on a season that's half a dozen games old to say the Devils are in better shape. They also started off last season very strong, only to end up 1 solitary point ahead of the Flyers. And like the Flyers, they also got destroyed in the first round. When Shero's Devils manage to win a single playoff round then we can say he's got them to a level Hextall hasn't managed with the only team he has been a GM of.

Look at what Shero inherited vs. what Hextall inherited..

Also, the NJ-Tampa Bay series was a hell of a lot closer than Flyers-Pens, and it actually resembled a playoff series. Like the two teams belonged in the same building.

Tampa outscored NJ 18-12
Pittsburgh outscored Philly 27-15

I will end on this, let's wait to see which team wins a playoff series first. My money is on NJ though..sadly.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What Shero has done, is not be scared to trade away a pick or 2 for im their prime players.

He traded off Jagr for a 2nd and a 3rd in Feb 2015, then in June traded away a 2nd and a 3rd for Palmieri. Great use of assets. Then add in the landside Hall trade. Then a 2nd and 3rd for Johansen(who has been hurt).

But he has not been afraid to trade for help today.

I don't agree with doing it for rentals though when still rebuilding like he did with Maroon and Grabner. It's why I said I would look into trading for someone like Petry since he has 3 years. He fills a need now, and you can still trade him in 2 years if you wish to re-coup most of the assets.

Oh...and anyone saying NJ is boring, doesn't watch them. They skate and work hard and create lots of chances....at least in the games I have seen.

Once reason is Shero doesn't have a good track record drafting players, as I've shown above.
Maybe it's him, maybe the scouts.
But it makes sense in that case to trade 2nd and 3rd rd picks for players in their 20s.
The desperation moves last year reflected NJ not making the playoffs FIVE straight years after losing in the finals, Shero was probably under pressure to show progress.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The bottom line is that Shero made the moves necessary to get Pittsburgh over the hump. They had back-to-back Finals appearances with Shero as GM and won a Cup.

He then took over a Devils team that was a complete disaster and already has them in better shape then the Flyers team Hextall inherited which included Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Gostisbehere, Simmonds, and Schenn.

When a Hextall managed team even wins a single playoff series, we can talk about comparing him to Shero. It's not even close at the moment though. Unless there are trophies handed out for drafting only?
Just look at NJ top scorers from last year:
Hall: Shero traded for
Hischier: Shero drafted 2017
Palmieri: Shero traded for
Butcher: Shero signed
Bratt: Shero drafted 2016
Miles Wood: inherited
Vatanen: Shero traded for
Noesen: Shero claimed him on waivers
Zajac: inherited
Gibbons: Shero signed

So 8 of the 10 top scorers, Shero had his hand in getting.

Hextall inherited 6 guys, drafted TK, Patrick and Provy, and traded for Flip.

Shero certainly "worked" harder to put together a fast Devils team as good as we are as of today. Time will tell on the future.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Shero certainly "worked" harder to put together a fast Devils team as good as we are as of today. Time will tell on the future.

Exactly.

Meanwhile, Hextall inherited the majority of the core that drags this team to respectability despite the best-efforts of his hand-picked coach to hold them back.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Exactly.

Meanwhile, Hextall inherited the majority of the core that drags this team to respectability to despite the best-efforts of his hand-picked coach to hold them back.
And I have defended Hextall lots in the past. In fact, I have said that rebuilding the depth of the prospects was a move we had to make. But now is the time to use a few of the crazy amount of assets we have gathered thru the years, to help the team now.

We won't miss a few picks from this coming draft if we can fill a hole we need filling. And again, no rentals. But look for deals like Shero has pulled off.

But hey...at least we don't have any of our 3 current NHL goalies signed for next year!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And I have defended Hextall lots in the past. In fact, I have said that rebuilding the depth of the prospects was a move we had to make. But now is the time to use a few of the crazy amount of assets we have gathered thru the years, to help the team now.

We won't miss a few picks from this coming draft if we can fill a hole we need filling. And again, no rentals. But look for deals like Shero has pulled off.

Yep. There are enough long-term roster spots tied up that you can start to identify expendable prospects and picks that you can move in trades that can help plug the holes NOW before the team sinks too deep to resurface.

Reactions: Tripod

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

But hey...at least we don't have any of our 3 current NHL goalies signed for next year!

My first move on the agenda if i'm Hextall, coaching change aside, would be to resolve the goaltending carousel.

I would call San Jose about Aaron Dell for starters. He has a .920 save percentage over the last 3 years as Sharks backup and i've always come away impressed by him. He has 2 years left on his contract at $1.9 before becoming a UFA and he won't be re-signing in San Jose with Jones locked up another 6 years.

San Jose may be reluctant to part with him while they are in contending mode in case Jones gets injured, but it's worth looking into..even if we have to overpay a little bit (we have the assets!).

So, trade for Dell then waive 2 of the other 3 goalies (or include one of them in the trade/trade them elsewhere). Reduce the amount of bodies. It's not good. We need stability there.

Reactions: klutch

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Shero was also under a lot of pressure to get to the playoffs now after missing the playoffs 5 straight years.
They then lost in 5 games.

Nico was #1, Hall was a great trade, Palmieri was a very good trade.
Bratt is a one month phenomenon. 10g 4-6 10 +3 in October, 64g 9-16 25 -19 rest of the season. Benched in the playoffs.
Vatanen (who cost Henrique, 20 goals in 57 games in Anaheim) and Noesen are depth players.
Gibbons was a 29 year old version of Weal.

NJ has a long way to go, and Shero traded a bunch of 2nd and 3rd rd picks and lacks talent in the pipeline.
When Kincaid falls back to earth, so will the Devils.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad