GDT: New Jersey Devils 2 @ Philadelphia Flyers 5 - Oct. 20, 2018

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Flyers have a better roster than the Devils. NJ have a 32 year old goalie on the hook for $6m for four more years, and his last season was worse than Elliott's.

If roster is extended to players on the reserve list, the advantage is even more in the Flyers favor.

Could you please say the emphasized part one more time?

Reactions: Striiker

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I would like to see Hextall and Hakstol both fired. The Devils roster is an example of what good drafting, smart free agents/trades and good coaching will get you. All the Flyers seem to do well anymore is draft so keep the scouting department and **** can the GM and all the coaches down through Lehigh.

They have a significantly worse roster on paper yet they’re performing way better because of a couple key players acquired through amazing trades, playing kids throughout the roster, and getting a good coach.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Here comes that blender. Put our top line winger on the 3rd line, put our 4th line winger on the 2nd line, put our 3rd line winger on the 1st line. Never mind consistency or chemistry. We be losing? Blend that **** up. Wonder if Sanheim-Gudas still exists.

I'm pretty sure Patrick going back with Voracek is because of the chemistry they've had in the past, and the strong recent performance of the "3rd" line is why they are staying together for now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
View attachment 148143

In some way or another, this game is or should be the defining moment. If the Flyers win Hak stays for another game. The End. If they lose, and lose big, at home, it might mean, Hak is done. The End, too. Oh, bitter reminders either way of lost years for us fans and the players.

In reality, if the Flyers lose, which is likely, nothing will change.

We went through this last season during the 10 game losing streak.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yes, I understand that. Lindblom-Weal-Konency were very good in CBJ, so they're being kept together.

Reactions: Fasu

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Yes, I understand that. Lindblom-Weal-Konency were very good in CBJ, so they're being kept together.

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny carried us to the playoffs the latter half of last season, didn’t stop him from blowing that line up almost immediately (both in the playoffs and this season). Kind of besides what I was saying though. It’s pretty well known his go-to reaction to losses is to just blend the combinations up, seemingly in the weirdest ways possible.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Giroux-Couturier-Konecny carries us to the playoffs the latter half of last season, didn’t stop him from blowing that line up almost immediately (both in the playoffs and this season). Kind of besides what I was saying though. It’s pretty well known his go-to reaction to losses is to just blend the combinations up, seemingly in the weirdest ways possible.

When you have no f***ing clue what you are doing, changing the lines is literally the only option to shake things up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I was referencing Konecny, Laughton, and Simmonds.

Our best line right now is Lindblom - Weal - TK. Why would you want to break them up?
What's becoming obvious is we have two veteran forwards who are tough chemistry problems.
Voracek is best with G & Couts, but in the past G and V have either been very hot or lukewarm, no in between.
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek had a bad start this year after looking good last year.
Simmonds doesn't work with anyone at ES.
Laughton is clearly more comfortable at LW than center.
Raffl is no more than a 4th line guy at this point in his career.
Vorobyev showed promise, but really struggled his last few games.

This isn't a coaching problem, it's a GM problem, Hextall has avoided making "painful" moves up to now, but at some point he has to reshape the roster in anticipation of the kids joining the next two years.

Reactions: hatcher

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Here comes that blender. Put our top line winger on the 3rd line, put our 4th line winger on the 2nd line, put our 3rd line winger on the 1st line. Never mind consistency or chemistry. We be losing? Blend that **** up. Wonder if Sanheim-Gudas still exists.
Williams played on the 3rd with Stoll and king and we're dominate and solid two way. He did fine.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Raffl-Laughton-Simmonds got crushed last night. Breaking them up after that makes sense.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What Shero has done, is not be scared to trade away a pick or 2 for im their prime players.

He traded off Jagr for a 2nd and a 3rd in Feb 2015, then in June traded away a 2nd and a 3rd for Palmieri. Great use of assets. Then add in the landside Hall trade. Then a 2nd and 3rd for Johansen(who has been hurt).

But he has not been afraid to trade for help today.

I don't agree with doing it for rentals though when still rebuilding like he did with Maroon and Grabner. It's why I said I would look into trading for someone like Petry since he has 3 years. He fills a need now, and you can still trade him in 2 years if you wish to re-coup most of the assets.

Oh...and anyone saying NJ is boring, doesn't watch them. They skate and work hard and create lots of chances....at least in the games I have seen.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I’m all for breaking up Coots-Giroux and having Giroux-Couturier-Patrick down the middle, by the way. Might be controversial topic. I wasn’t for it last year because of our center depth, but then Konecny became the third guy on it and it became one of the best lines in the league and one of the best Flyers lines I had seen in a long while.

Now that Konecny is his go-to whipping boy for line demotions/promotions and ice-time, I’m back for breaking up that line. Coots and Giroux are still amazing together, but we have more winger depth than center depth. There’s only like two forwards I can’t see playing in a top nine winger role while we have one top line center and one middle six center. Patrick is still having injury issues and he’s in his sophomore year, which is a year players typically struggle in (Provorov is too).

Doesn’t make logistical sense to me to at least not try it. Better idea than having Weal full in for Patrick or blending forward combos while we lose every game 9-7 or whatever. Personal opinion though. If Konecny stayed on the first line I’d be fine trying that first, at least while Patrick is healthy.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Is Petry even for sale? The Montreal GM needs to win more than Hextall does.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
It is hard for me to root against them as a fan, but honestly... If they get smacked this weekend, it’s a step closer to Hak being out.

Thing is, even if the boys play well - the goaltending has potential to lose them games very easily.

I really would explore a Simmonds trade. He has no business being re-signed, the man does nothing to drive play 5 on 5.

Reactions: Garbage Goal

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
It is hard for me to root against them as a fan, but honestly... If they get smacked this weekend, it’s a step closer to Hak being out.

Thing is, even if the boys play well - the goaltending has potential to lose them games very easily.

I really would explore a Simmonds trade. He has no business being re-signed, the man does nothing to drive play 5 on 5.

Their goaltending isn’t very good either. I expect Hall-Hischier-Palmieri to torch our inevitably one awful D pair, bad goaltending, and bad system/wonky line combos with their speed and creativity though. That’s one of the best lines in the league and the primary reason they’ve been doing so well. Look up Palmieri’s stats so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad