New Goal Song?

Ned Bouhalassa

Mar 2, 2008
Montreal
Maybe it's 'cause I'm a composer, but I wish they would make a competition for an original song, and then have the fans vote for their favourite. It would be great for getting the fans even more involved, and could be revealed at the Winter Classic.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Maybe it's 'cause I'm a composer, but I wish they would make a competition for an original song, and then have the fans vote for their favourite. It would be great for getting the fans even more involved, and could be revealed at the Winter Classic.

In theory it's a good idea, but in practice the songs that get written are really lame - hokey, no energy or the wrong energy for the venue. If it were just a one-off like only for the Winter Classic, then it's cool, and we might get lucky.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1GJOq2mP-s

I want to say it was 08 when they did away with the tradition. Some nonsense about it not being good for the younger crowd. You see, there's this thing called history, and tradition, and the younger crowd will dig it if its part of the teams history. It's the pink hats they wanted to attract, and they can all go to hell.

edit: I know I sound like a "get off my lawn!" type, but it really does bug me when they kill a 50+ year old team tradition just so they can appeal to a bunch of non fans.

There's a lot of misplaced nostalgia in this thread. Sometimes change is good. There are good reasons to appeal to "pink hats" and "non-fans". -- those are the people who can become fans. Those are also people who boost your attendance and TV audience, and buy lots of licensed gear (like the stupid hats that are pink). When you bring your kids to a game, you don't want them getting bored because some old man wants to hear Paree or Sweet Caroline.

I have no desire for my team to have uniforms that look like 1890's rugby sweaters. I have no desire for my goal song to be some piece of music that was already hokey & outdated when Bobby Orr was playing. I also have no desire to sit in a stadium with poor ventilation, sticky floors, dangerous stairways and obstructed views. Even if I do have feelings of nostalgia for some of these things.

If you want to mix in some of these older tunes, it needs to be done sparingly. Having elements of the game that resonate with the current generation is really really important, otherwise you condemn the sport to irrelevance in this market. Nobody wins in that scenario except a bunch of grumpy old men.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
There's a lot of misplaced nostalgia in this thread. Sometimes change is good. There are good reasons to appeal to "pink hats" and "non-fans". -- those are the people who can become fans. Those are also people who boost your attendance and TV audience, and buy lots of licensed gear (like the stupid hats that are pink). When you bring your kids to a game, you don't want them getting bored because some old man wants to hear Paree or Sweet Caroline.

I have no desire for my team to have uniforms that look like 1890's rugby sweaters. I have no desire for my goal song to be some piece of music that was already hokey & outdated when Bobby Orr was playing. I also have no desire to sit in a stadium with poor ventilation, sticky floors, dangerous stairways and obstructed views. Even if I do have feelings of nostalgia for some of these things.

If you want to mix in some of these older tunes, it needs to be done sparingly. Having elements of the game that resonate with the current generation is really really important, otherwise you condemn the sport to irrelevance in this market. Nobody wins in that scenario except a bunch of grumpy old men.

Some good points. For a lot of youngsters at a game the interactive element of the goal song represents the peak of the evening, so it's gotta be something you can sing along with. With that said, I still think kids will fall in love with hockey no what, so there's no need to reach for the lowest common denominator. The Whalers song probably is a bit soft for the Bruins/the modern age, even though it's cool as hell. We need something heavy

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I agree with your view, but the majority of the experience at a Bruins game is already geared towards the non-fan. Changing the goal song to something with a little history or bringing back paree, the grumpy old men would still be in the minority, but they'd have a little reward for getting up to let the same drunks pass you in the aisle for the 6th time in a period. Having some Nostalgia is good and it allows the current generation to bond with the older ones.
The pink hats already have:
stadium renovations to have Wifi
bad modern music during the breaks in play
fans hamming it up for the jumbotron
Cameras everywhere for fans to ham it up
Ice girls that don't clean the ice
Winter Classic
Pierre McGuire
Selfies
T-shirt tosses
Blades
overpriced beer
fan of the game

81ragnaH

May 29, 2007
Lynn, MA

I'm 30 :laugh:

This crap does not attract new fans. I promise you some guy who has never seen a hockey game before will not become a fan because of some new fangled goal song, or because they hear Back in Black as the Bruins skate out to the ice. They become fans because of winning. Always have and always will. You could have an arena with no Jumbotron, no music at all, and people will come if the team wins. And so will the pink hats, because it'll be the place to be.

There are two ways one becomes a fan. They are either born into a fan family, thus watching their entire lives. Or, they become fans watching a cup run or when the team generally wins a lot. Not because of music or in person game presentation or jerseys.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Now HOW this became the Bruins song :dunno:

Dig enough on Google and you can find any answer.

zhVnoO5.jpg

BrewinBruin

Believability
Oct 30, 2007
Connecticut
Anyone remember "Telstart" by the Tornado's?

The actual music starts at about 00:28 seconds on this ^.
I'm not really suggesting that it'd be used as a goal song but back when it was popular.

Newer version here:

Nice! Forgot about this until it was used during the closing credits for a Mad Men episode.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
This is all I know. Cam was against the idea because Hartford was a rival but he has since mellowed as almost a full generation has passed since the Whalers moved. The Red Sox have used it at times and gotten a positive reaction.

It is one of the great goal songs of all time - I would have no problems with the Bruins bringing it back to life.
Why? Why why why? It's nice to hear it when Carolina is in town but that'll always be about the Whale and the Mall and being losers every year.

Make Paree the goal song.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
obvious answer here is something by future preferably march madness

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
You forgot that they ride cushy trains to the game where you walked uphill both ways in the snow and liked it....

regarding the goal song, I wouldnt want to see Shipping up to Boston used. IMO they use it the right way now. Late/mid 3rd period with the game close to get the energy level cranked up.

Really, teams need to stop outsmarting themselves and just go with Rock and Roll Part 2. It really hasnt been topped.

I think that has about as much chance as them showing Jared the Subway Guy commercials or the Cosby dance on the jumbotron...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Glitter#2012_allegations_and_2015_conviction

Yeah, as a celebration song, and as an audience chant-along, it's solid. And the bands still play it in the Garden during the Beanpot (or maybe it was Hockey East). But doing anything that even comes close to giving that piece of **** more royalty money just ain't right.

If you're going for 70s glam, I don't hear "We Will Rock You" enough in the stadium. Not sure that would exactly fit as a goal song, but it's a good pump song, and it's a good singalong song.

Even the guitar-heavy section of "Bohemian Rhapsody" ("so you think you can love me and leave me to die" to "just gotta get right out of here") would be good, and would unite a three generations - the original kids from the 70's, the Wayne's World kids from the 90's, and the kids from today who hear it butchered on every goddamn season of American Idol (or whatever texting/singing/tweeting show is popular these days).

I like the tradition of "Paree", but as a goal song, I don't see it pumping anyone up. It's great as a one-off, using it as an intro when, for example, they bring out Milt Schmidt. But as was stated before, it was a little hokey back then. I'm not sure it stands the test of time.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
I agree with your view, but the majority of the experience at a Bruins game is already geared towards the non-fan. Changing the goal song to something with a little history or bringing back paree, the grumpy old men would still be in the minority, but they'd have a little reward for getting up to let the same drunks pass you in the aisle for the 6th time in a period. Having some Nostalgia is good and it allows the current generation to bond with the older ones.
The pink hats already have:
stadium renovations to have Wifi
bad modern music during the breaks in play
fans hamming it up for the jumbotron
Cameras everywhere for fans to ham it up
Ice girls that don't clean the ice
Winter Classic
Pierre McGuire
Selfies
T-shirt tosses
Blades
overpriced beer
fan of the game

Back in MY DAY, we had obstructed views, and candy was a nickel, and a hot dog was a quarter, and we brought our own damn beer to the game. Get off my lawn! :laugh:

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
I've been a fan of the Bruins and hockey since as far back as I can remember. I've watched games on TV38, I've been to the old Garden. I love the nostalgia and history. That said, I love trying to update the atmosphere and fan experience. It's great. Check out this clip. If you don't know already, the Sabres updated their goal song to be 'Let Me Clear My Throat' by DJ Kool. It's now the best goal sequence in the league. Other than Dallas.

Get some more updated music. Have some fun.

I have always selfishly wanted some sweet 'punkish' goal song. Something like how Anaheim has Pennywise "Bro Hymn'.

kcmdux88

Sep 19, 2008
Duxbury, MA
I don't mind keeping Zombie Nation. What baffles me is when we're on the road and the home team plays it. Don't they know that its our goal horn? I doubt they'll go through with actually changing it. But for fun I think some decent goal songs would be:

Just no country, rap, or hip hop please.

fighterfoo

Time for a change.
Nov 29, 2005
Manchester, NH
How about Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion"? It's quintessentially Boston, and when the puck goes in the net, that emotion that overflows is pretty sweet :)

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
How about Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion"? It's quintessentially Boston, and when the puck goes in the net, that emotion that overflows is pretty sweet :)

I like it! It's old enough to get some of the slightly older folks involved (1975), but not so old that it sounds like it should be the background music to Steamboat Willie. And it was rereleased in 1991, so it got good airplay for those of us in their 30s when they were teens. Good singalongability with the words "sweet emotion" that everyone knows (or, at bare minimum, recognizes). Plus, a nice guitar riff right before the chorus that would go well right after the horns.

Local connection to the song, too, which I think is vitally important and gets major bonus points.

I don't mind Kernkraft 400, but actually I think the way other arenas use it is better. It has a tension to it that's perfect right before a faceoff. Although being that I love classic gaming, the origin story of Kernraft 400 is kind of cool:

Last edited:

BigBadBruins63*

I'm still thinking of something i'd like to see as the goal song, but they should play before every opening faceoff Metallica's For Whom The Bell Tolls. They did play it last season, but it wasn't a full season thing, and it should be b/c that gets you pumped up. Come out to it as well.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I cannot ****ing believe any respectable Bruins fan want Brass Bonanza as our goal song.

Someone mentioned it to me yesterday as a joke that it should be the new Providence Bruins goal song (they are voting for a new one) and I said I'd surrender my season tickets at that point.

Let's make this perfectly clear.

**** the Hartford Whalers and everything about them including their minor league Hanna Barbara sounding 1970s goal song.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I cannot ****ing believe any respectable Bruins fan want Brass Bonanza as our goal song.

Someone mentioned it to me yesterday as a joke that it should be the new Providence Bruins goal song (they are voting for a new one) and I said I'd surrender my season tickets at that point.

Let's make this perfectly clear.

**** the Hartford Whalers and everything about them including their minor league Hanna Barbara sounding 1970s goal song.

Bruins goal tune now is perfect.Penguins stole it.They are ones who need new one.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I'm fine with Zombie Nation as it is or gets some local techno band to redo "Paree" if it has to have a modern sound.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad