New GM, New Trades and Signings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Sarcasm aside, Dubas obviously had his flaws. I would have kept him because I think his positives clearly outweigh the flaws, but if someone decided they didn't want him running the ship anymore I get it. The way it went down was a complete shitshow and obviously players took note. Dubas was notorious for doing right by his players, moving guys out when there wasn't a fit anymore, the whole hospital think with Mikheyev, etc. Good or bad GM he was a really good person. You treat that person that way I wouldn't want to play for you either.

I thought Treliving was one of the better options out there if they had to get someone with experience. I don't necessarily think it's him. The buck stops with Shanahan.
I agree. I also strongly believe the reason Dubas was let go was that he wanted to cut the strings that Shanahan had on him.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So the core tenant of Jesus wasn’t to be a better person, love thy neighbour and to be accepting and loving of all of gods beings?

When your top guys get shut down you need the depth to come through and make some plays. There’s literally a term for it “playoff hero”

So hundreds of religious documents and 2000 years of theological debate can be accurately boiled down to “be nice to people no matter what”?

Did you perhaps mix up Jesus and John Lennon? It’s a common mistake.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What changed between last year and this year that suddenly made the core so toxic? There were no issues bringing in players before this offseason, they finally win a round and now nobody wants to play with Matthews, Marner and Nylander? They certainly have their issues sure, but toxic isn't something that happens this suddenly.

Perhaps the toxic way we ousted the GM who treated his players so well and hired the guy everyone was running away from in Calgary has something to do with nobody wanting to play here anymore

I think we need to clearly define some concepts and definitions.

Like it or not, "toxic" can be a key ingredient in success of team sports... Arrogant, cocky players who hate each other pushing each other, trying to be better than one another, goaded by a toxic mind games, button pushing coach to beat toxic rivals in playoff battles, winning championships. So you can actually be extremely toxic and have team success. Those aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

I don't think our team is "toxic" that way. But their lackadaisical, casual loss to Florida probably caused a lot of people to look at them a little differently after that sorry display, like "these guys just don't get it." That's more reputational downgrading than being toxically unpleasant.

Third, I bet not a lot of people in the hockey world give a toss about the way Kyle Dubas was "treated." He's just as oddball anything else on the Leafs.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
They have 10M available so I don’t think they can sign both and sign Samsonov
isnt sammy an rfa? I am sure they can push him to take a 2 year bridge deal.

Sammy = 2 years x $3 million
Bertuzzi = 7 years x $5.5 million
Domi = 1 year x $1.5 million

Sure domi can get more but where else can he pad his stats with matthews and marner.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I agree. I also strongly believe the reason Dubas was let go was that he wanted to cut the strings that Shanahan had on him.
He wanted more autonomy to change up the team. Neither thing shanny wants. Now he has mother yes man. This time it’s the bosses buddy’s son instead of the young up and comer

Reactions: Chindis and kb

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
So the core tenant of Jesus wasn’t to be a better person, love thy neighbour and to be accepting and loving of all of gods beings?

When your top guys get shut down you need the depth to come through and make some plays. There’s literally a term for it “playoff hero”
Jesus sat with sinners who were repentant, not those who wished to remain in sin. Also loving your neighbor requires truth and if anyone is Christian then scripture is the truth. This is why Christians are called to spread the Gospel. God according to scripture loves all people but he doesn't love their sin nor does he instruct Christians to be accepting of it. This is why Chrostians who preach cannot be in wilful perpetual sin or they will be Jidged by the same measure they judge others.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Is Treliving a meth head? A coke addict? Is he high on drugs?

Why has he done jack shit since being hired?

Shanahan deserves to be f***ing called out and fired on the spot with his decision to stick to the core and bring a worse supporting cast

Either blow this up and rebuild or try and build a better team. We are shittier now and again will be a 1st round exit

Reactions: New User Name

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not too bad of a contract for Acciari...not necessarily better than Kampf or his new contract though.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I dont give a flying fadoo what the guys personal beliefs are and perfer that they keep them to himself, especially if they’re of a hateful manner.
Funny that most “Christians” miss the fact that Jesus was about acceptance and tolerance. Clown shoes thought process on your part. Not going any farther as I’d like to avoid another 6 month ban

you have no idea what you’re talking about. Did you ever even consider the possibility the culture of Toronto could be part of the problem? What I said was the fans and media in cities like Toronto and Montreal hound players for innocuous reasons and will demand to know things like personal beliefs. You practically have Toronto media going through their garbage. Marner got carjacked.

The pressure playing in big Canadian markets is intense and the communities make huge demands on the players. It’s perfectly normal for some players to feel uncomfortable with this kind of pressure cooker. That’s why Nylander wants extra to stay in Toronto. It’s effectively compensation for the harassment and higher taxes etc etc.

I’m not happy with the core 4 playoff performance or the extra demands but people in the city of Toronto need to accept that they will have to pay extra to retain players. Right now that reality isn’t being accepted by fans.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Jesus sat with sinners who were repentant, not those who wished to remain in sin. Also loving your neighbor requires truth and if anyone is Christian then scripture is the truth. This is why Christians are called to spread the Gospel. God according to scripture loves all people but he doesn't love their sin nor does he instruct Christians to be accepting of it. This is why Chrostians who preach cannot be in wilful perpetual sin or they will be Jidged by the same measure they judge others.
Clownshoes

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
This is the absolute worst Free Agency Day I can remember, holy shit there goes Accari now too.

Let's just bring back Kerfoot and call it a day, at least give me a laugh at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad