New GM, New Trades and Signings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I would actually not be so against finally letting more Marlies play. It would even be about time.

What I regret, however, is that I have spent the last 3 hours pointlessly in this thread. Well ... ;-)

Who though? We need some more scoring depth right now and our most ready D was not given a QO.

Robertson and Knies are likely locks for opening night, who else is ready for a scoring role? Maybe Holmberg.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Thats fine. If a player cant handle the pressure or whatever else goes along with being in Toronto I get it but I dont want them here. There are players who will welcome it and those will be the ones I will cheer for.
Sadly it's not just the player at times. Sometimes it's the wife and kids that get it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Our playoff chances are pretty bare at the moment…. I see, as of this moment with this shit team not changing except losing 3 quality grit guys like ROR, Schenn, and Acciari, we’ll maybe in by a point ala the Panthers and then a RD1 exit, yet again.

Eh, they're still a defacto lock for the playoffs depending on what happens with Nylander. They'll have a spot basically guaranteed by US thanksgiving.

Reactions: GermanLeaf

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I thought I had very little excitement and expectations heading into last season, but this upcoming season found a way to change my mind.

I'm not really digging this new GM... at all.

Another year of futility only with a less entertaining and productive regular season to look forward to.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It seemed clear to me from the time the cap was introduced, that the league would eventually evo;ve towards the star players getting all the money and the rest of a team each getting somewhere in the range 1x to 3x the minimum. It's not there yet, but it seems inevitable.

The ground state of a Bettman cap universe is definitely a top heavy roster construction with nobodies throughout the lineup. This already happened to Chicago post 2015.

The fine balance for an actual Stanley Cup winner is the transitional moment before all your guys get overpaid and when you still have a roster to win. That was Vegas this year. Colorado the year before, and Tampa twice before that. Once you're out of that brief equilibrium you go into cap hell like us and you can't get out unless you blow it up.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
With the roster we currently have, we’re probably looking at a spot anywhere from 5th to 8th in the East. Pretty sad given this team as of right now will finally be taking a step back after so many years and only have 1 playoff round win to show for it…
They were 4th this year. And the 8th place team in the East just went to the finals.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Bjugstad, 6’6”, strong defensive results. That would have been a good get.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
With the roster we currently have, we’re probably looking at a spot anywhere from 5th to 8th in the East. Pretty sad given this team as of right now will finally be taking a step back after so many years and only have 1 playoff round win to show for it…

Pretty sure this was said last year, and the year before.

The playoffs are a lock. Seeding is not too important.

Build a team that can win (that is also not happening), but who cares about the regular season?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Someone needs to pull Treliving out of Fat Bastard Burritos and tell him to get to work.

He's got no money or assets. This is the way the teams been trending for year's. Now the Muskoka 4 have nmc and hold the cards lol. It really was dreadful management by Shanahan and Dubas.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Thanks for making my point again.… this was easy. The issue is only partly the team. it’s actually Toronto media and fans who hound players for innocuous reasons like in no other market except Montreal. How many FA’s are the habs signing today? Then you expect them to pay higher taxes on top of the harassment. These guys have options and Ontario boy ROR jumped ship.

it creates an obvious competitive disadvantage aside from everything else already mentioned.
I dont give a flying fadoo what the guys personal beliefs are and perfer that they keep them to himself, especially if they’re of a hateful manner.
Funny that most “Christians” miss the fact that Jesus was about acceptance and tolerance. Clown shoes thought process on your part. Not going any farther as I’d like to avoid another 6 month ban

Reactions: rojac

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If this core is so toxic that no one wants to come here why was no effort made to move them before their NMCs kicked in?

What changed between last year and this year that suddenly made the core so toxic? There were no issues bringing in players before this offseason, they finally win a round and now nobody wants to play with Matthews, Marner and Nylander? They certainly have their issues sure, but toxic isn't something that happens this suddenly.

Perhaps the toxic way we ousted the GM who treated his players so well and hired the guy everyone was running away from in Calgary has something to do with nobody wanting to play here anymore

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Eh, they're still a defacto lock for the playoffs depending on what happens with Nylander. They'll have a spot basically guaranteed by US thanksgiving.
You’re likely right, I could see a derailment to expectations though if Treliving doesn’t make a meaningful addition at both top 6 and top 4 D.

As much as I wanted to see Kerfoot and Holl go away, there’s still a hole left, particularly Holl. And then you add Bunting departing, I suppose you pencil Knies in and Jarnkrok taking 3LW with Kampf centering but man that 3rd line is soft as hell and completely underwhelming, definitely not a contender calibre

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He's got no money or assets. This is the way the teams been trending for year's. Now the Muskoka 4 have nmc and hold the cards lol. It really was dreadful management by Shanahan and Dubas.

Sarcasm?

We have a lot of cap space, we also have assets.

Reactions: TimeZone

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Where the hell does Reaves even fit in this lineup? He can’t play with Kampf in a shutdown role. Then on the other bottom six line, aside from fighting, he can’t provide anything else…

Reactions: GermanLeaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad