Speculation: New GM Candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
We aren't really that far off... you really want to use every single one of these 2nds and mid-late 1sts drafting kids? Package some of them up for something concrete. Depth is one thing but you don't need 100 potentia prospects to be a good hockey team in the NHL.

- Im not saying were ready to deal and become good next year..

Yes we are. We need elite talent on this team and the best way to acquire said talent at the moment is through the draft.

Karate Johnson*

No freaking way we hire Burke.

A reactionary stubborn hot head with zero patience? No thanks.

He's sucked for the last 5 years because of his attitude.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
He's created contenders everywhere he's went. His personality is definitely over-the-top but he's more than qualified to create a contender with what we have for him to work with.
He created a half-baked contender in Vancouver with no goaltending and finished off an almost complete Anaheim team.

If you look at his most recent work with the Leafs, who also happen to be the most comparable, it's terrible.
He essentially shuffled the deck chairs and while they made the playoffs last year, the team is not close to contender.
Their pipeline assembled by him is not great either, as most of it is hype (Biggs, Blacker, D'Amigo, Holzer, Ross, and it goes on and on).

We aren't really that far off...
There's no #1C, no #1D, and no #1G in place.

They're not close.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
"Ready to wheel and deal" might not mean what many people are assuming. Remember who moved Vancouver into position to draft both Sedins with a bunch of wheeling and dealing? You can create a solid, homegrown core through the draft and still benefit from Burke.

Karate Johnson*

Kevin Devine is a draft guy. Why would he be tasked with team building.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Are the Leafs better off now or before he got there?

-We have a couple young defensemen with high 1/2 potential.
-Maybe a new GM/ the new crew convince Miller to stay.
- package a few picks/ or a few other players for elite talent. boom.
- we have alot of assets to use. Migt have to give up a little more to get the elite talent then some would want but hey, ya gotta give ta get.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
"Ready to wheel and deal" might not mean what many people are assuming. Remember who moved Vancouver into position to draft both Sedins with a bunch of wheeling and dealing? You can create a solid, homegrown core through the draft and still benefit from Burke.

thank you sir, you know what the point I'm trying to make.:thumbu:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

- we have alot of assets to use. Migt have to give up a little more to get the elite talent then some would want but hey, ya gotta give ta get.

Okay, you're operating on the assumption that you can trade for an elite #1C, #1RW, #1LW, #1D, and resign Miller. That's just crazy. I'm talking about building through the draft, you're talking about trading away our young pieces for guys who are ready now.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
They're better off if you're an individual that craves instant gratification. But there's nothing long term there. That is a team that will make the playoffs but struggle to do so most years. They remind me a lot of the 2009 Buffalo Sabres. They put up some wins but there are serious problems with that team and they aren't getting any help from their pipeline anytime soon. One of the same things that happened to Buffalo after their terrible mid 2000s drafts.

It's exactly what Buffalo is trying to avoid. We're trying to set up a team that is a slam dunk to make the playoffs for a good chunk of time.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Okay, you're operating on the assumption that you can trade for an elite #1C, #1RW, #1LW, #1D, and resign Miller. That's just crazy. I'm talking about building through the draft, you're talking about trading away our young pieces for guys who are ready now.

no, i'm talking about trading these 2nds and 1sts and maybe some already drafted young players with some value for top picks.

-the above post was simply spitballing as I'm chillin in my car on lunch

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010

Maybe, maybe not.

There's a good chance his play drops off substantially over the next few years, as he's getting up there in age.

If only it were that easy.

Yes, every GM is just going to jump at the chance to get a bunch of average or unproven players for elite talent.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
If Button or McGuire are selected as the next GM, then I turn in my fan card. Some guy on NHL.com suggested Button. Guy is terrible and doesn't even belong in any aspect of the game anymore. At least if Pierre was GM I could watch games on NBCSN without muting it. But as a fan of a different team.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Lala just mentioned Neely and Robitaille (luc) on NHL radio. Not sure in what regard he meant to bring them up... Says short list of people that are up and coming and will meet them.

Hi Botterill

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Hasn't spoken to anyone yet. Put out feelers but has strong idea on which candidates would come in and do a good job

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Lala just mentioned Neely and Robitaille (luc) on NHL radio. Not sure in what regard he meant to bring them up... Says short list of people that are up and coming and will meet them.

Hi Botterill

If it is Neely, maybe some of that teflon of the Bruins will help us in the suspension department.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

Hi Botterill

Maybe he was just comparing himself to other retired hockey greats who are now consultants with their former teams?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@BuffNewsVogl

The Montreal Canadiens decline comment on whether Sabres need or have asked for permission to speak with Rick Dudley about GM job.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I don't really want anything to do with Rick Dudley, the guy who traded away multiple first overall picks so he could let other teams make his decisions for him

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I don't understand the fascination with Dudley. Can someone please remind me what he did as a GM that was so great?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Burke is a stubborn old man that is better at creating hype than actually creating a successful team.

I want someone that's progressive.

Hear, hear!

He's a dud. They need to be looking for someone to build the team with a fresh mind, akin to the Shero hiring in Pittsburgh, where a quality assistant takes the helm of another franchise and moves it forward. Enough with the bombast of Brian Burke. He sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad