Speculation: New GM Candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
The Portland Winterhawks GM would be interesting, but there is such a huge gap between the CHL and NHL and how you handle players and others.

Nashville's asst. GM would be a strong candidate too.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Brian Burke is an intriguing choice.

As said previously, Dudley and Messier are also intriguing to me.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Dudley would be a fantastic choice and I think would lead to Craig Ramsay joining the coaching staff which would be terrific.

Messier would make everyone wake up and take notice. Talk about setting the tone for a competitive and winning culture.

Really, really happy that Devine is staying on. I think he has done a great job with the draft the past few years and these next couple drafts are crucial.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I don't like a lot of the names being mentioned.

Do not want Dudley, Pierre McGuire, Neil Smith, Burke or Messier. Would like someone new but patient with the rebuild. We don't need any bold moves or flamboyant personalities right now. Botteril could be interesting. I like Peca, but probably not experienced enough. The 'Hawks assistant could be good, since they provide a good role model for us.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
Wonder what it would take to get Doug Wilson out of San Jose? The Sharks have been consistently good since he's been GM, with the only caveat that they have not won the Stanley Cup.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Gorton is my leader in the clubhouse. A few months as interim GM of the Bruins and he did the following:

-Pulled off the Rask-for-Raycroft trade.
-Drafted Kessel, Lucic, and Marchand in a relatively poor 2006 draft.
-Signed Chara and Savard that summer.

Impressive work in a short time. He's as much responsible for their prolonged success as Chiarelli. My only issue is that I'd imagine he's being groomed to take over when Sather dies in office. If Sather is able to die, that is.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Fedorov .. :naughty:

He's the GM of CSKA Moscow (his little brother is on the team) and while he hasn't suited up in a game yet, there are reports that he's a player-GM this season.

On a related note, Igor Larionov is a player agent and wouldn't be the first agent turned GM.

And you know who he represents that is in the media a lot lately, right?

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
@MarkSeidel: I keep hearing @nycneil will be the next GM in Buffalo. I've always thought he's one of the brightest guys in the game & deserves a shot!

That's Neil smith

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
Gorton is my leader in the clubhouse. A few months as interim GM of the Bruins and he did the following:

-Pulled off the Rask-for-Raycroft trade.
-Drafted Kessel, Lucic, and Marchand in a relatively poor 2006 draft.
-Signed Chara and Savard that summer.

Impressive work in a short time. He's as much responsible for their prolonged success as Chiarelli. My only issue is that I'd imagine he's being groomed to take over when Sather dies in office. If Sather is able to die, that is.

:laugh:

Sather as a GM has been dead for years. Sather the man, however, still counts himself among the living.

LGBuffalo

Jan 9, 2011
E PA
Personally, I would like Dudley or Botteril. I have no basis for this opinion, though. I just get the feeling based on their experiences and resumes, that either of these guys would be alright!

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
@MarkSeidel: I keep hearing @nycneil will be the next GM in Buffalo. I've always thought he's one of the brightest guys in the game & deserves a shot!

That's Neil smith

This makes some sense. A leader (Lafontaine) is going to surround himself with good people he is close with. (Hence his former coach, Nolan.)

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I know very little of Neil Smith's history outside of his brief stint on Long Island. Can anyone fill me in?

I like Botteril.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Thinking about it and hearing that Pat talked about a Stanley Cup winning resume, I think Neil Smith is the leader right now.

Pat quit his spot with the Islanders in response to Smith getting the axe.

And with Nolan getting the interim job, Pat obviously isn't afraid to hire someone who's been out of the league for a while.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I know very little of Neil Smith's history outside of his brief stint on Long Island. Can anyone fill me in?

I like Botteril.

Smith was the GM of the 93-94 NY Rangers Stanley Cup champions.

He was their GM from 1989-2000. His trademark there was the 1991 trade for Mark Messier.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Smith was the GM of the 93-94 NY Rangers Stanley Cup champions.

He was their GM from 1989-2000. His trademark there was the 1991 trade for Mark Messier.

While working about 2 months for the Islanders, he got frustrated with not being able to make decisions himself. When he quit, Pat Lafontaine quit with him.

So yeah, it's pretty safe to assume Neil is on Patty's short list. And I'll gladly take the guy who acquired Mark Messier and assembled the 1994 Rangers. That's a guy who knows how to finish a job.

I think Darcy has started a job well here, and Smith is a guy who has shown he can finish one.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Neil Smith is also the guy who orchestrated the trade for Chris Drury. It was thought at one time he was going to replace Regier when Golisano was hired and his name has been mentioned just about every year as a GM candidate.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'm all about Jason Botterill.

He'd be a good hire, too. There are plenty of attractive candidates. I think with the youngsters already on hand, as well as the draft pick assets going forward--to use for drafting or otherwise--it'll be a pretty desirable job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad