Speculation: New GM Candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
While working about 2 months for the Islanders, he got frustrated with not being able to make decisions himself. When he quit, Pat Lafontaine quit with him.

So yeah, it's pretty safe to assume Neil is on Patty's short list. And I'll gladly take the guy who acquired Mark Messier and assembled the 1994 Rangers. That's a guy who knows how to finish a job.

I think Darcy has started a job well here, and Smith is a guy who has shown he can finish one.

On the flip side Smith also started the string of high profile/high cost UFA's to Rangers who flopped

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Does anyone NOT want Burke? And if so, why not?

Not sure if he is available...

I for one don't really want Burke as the next GM. But, I wouldn't be too upset if he were.

Burke and Smith don't get me really excited, but I could see them being good fits, as well.

A guy like Gorton is more of the type of GM I'd like to see in here.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Stay away from Fenton!

Guy is exceptional; he's been running the draft for a while now and is without question the heir-apparent to Poile when he hangs it up. He has great vision for player talent / development trajectory and is as patient as Poile. Would be happy for him, but bummed nonetheless if he gets poached for a GM role at BUF or elsewhere.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Dudley to me would have been the guy I would have targeted if we waited until after the 2015 draft suggest Regier retire then bring Dudley in to then make some key trades to improve the club.

I dont look at Dudley as that good with drafting and showing patience with a young club to develop.

The other option they bring in fresh GM that they promote who was a teams asst GM and then bring in some sort of pro player consultant which would be more involved in making player trades.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah - but I wasn't too impressed with Smith from 1994-2000.

True.

But, he has ties to LaFontaine due to the Islanders and I could see him being the guy.

Only time will tell if whomever they hire is the right guy.

Smith. Burke. Fenton. Gorton. Botterill.

I could see all of them succeeding or failing here. There are no locks in the NHL.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Burke is like the opposite of Darcy - likes to be the center of attention and makes a lot of moves. I don't think he's a good fit right now.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
True.

But, he has ties to LaFontaine due to the Islanders and I could see him being the guy.

Only time will tell if whomever they hire is the right guy.

Smith. Burke. Fenton. Gorton. Botterill.

I could see all of them succeeding or failing here. There are no locks in the NHL.

I agree Smith is probably the favorite right now.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Burkes at the top of my list. We have a lot of picks/prospects/young roster players. It's about that time to wheel and deal (giving a little more to get), not many better then Burke at that.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Does anyone NOT want Burke? And if so, why not?

Not sure if he is available...
Burke is a stubborn old man that is better at creating hype than actually creating a successful team.

I want someone that's progressive.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Burkes at the top of my list. We have a lot of picks/prospects/young roster players. It's about that time to wheel and deal (giving a little more to get), not many better then Burke at that.
This team isn't even close to being ready to wheel and deal.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Burke is a stubborn old man that is better at creating hype than actually creating a successful team.

I want someone that's progressive.

He's created contenders everywhere he's went. His personality is definitely over-the-top but he's more than qualified to create a contender with what we have for him to work with.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Hire the best possible candidate, not the one who you're tied closest to.

And don't hire Mike Peca for ffs.

- Ride out Nolan as coach
- Ride out LaFontaine/Devine as Co-Gm's
- When season ends, begin process of asking permission to speak with people if it is required
- Hire GM before draft
- Determine if GM wants to keep Nolan if not
- If not, do a THOROUGH, and I mean THOROUGH search for a new coach

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
This team isn't even close to being ready to wheel and deal.

We aren't really that far off... you really want to use every single one of these 2nds and mid-late 1sts drafting kids? Package some of them up for something concrete. Depth is one thing but you don't need 100 potentia prospects to be a good hockey team in the NHL.

- Im not saying were ready to deal and become good next year..

Imagining Defeat

Dec 16, 2007
Satellite of Love
Hire the best possible candidate, not the one who you're tied closest to.

And don't hire Mike Peca for ffs.

- Ride out Nolan as coach
- Ride out LaFontaine/Devine as Co-Gm's
- When season ends, begin process of asking permission to speak with people if it is required
- Hire GM before draft
- Determine if GM wants to keep Nolan if not
- If not, do a THOROUGH, and I mean THOROUGH search for a new coach

Wait...does that involve leaving the building...or making a phone call....:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad